Who is the "BOOM HIRE" that EagleDamnWar speaks of

tbone4jc

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony Dungy anyone?

I was thinking about him yesterday. He would be a good one. Is he currently coaching?

No

He has said multiple upon multiple number of times that he will never coach again. He would be great, but..............

I have no problem with Fisher but wonder whether saying he is someone that would keep our recruits on board might be an overstatement. Just because he's coached in the NFL doesn't mean he is going to relate to them well and he's never recruited high school athletes before. He might be great at it but how would JGT or anyone else know that now? My guess is that JGT is talking about someone else. Unfortunately, I have no idea who.

Are you serious? The guy has coached in the NFL over ten years and he has been sucessful at it to. If i'm a recruit i'm signing and playing for that guy because he better knows then anyone what it takes to get to the next level.

How many years of college ball did you play?

IMO it could quite possibly be Sean Payton. My reasoning is this, he IS a good coach, he is in Louisiana, so most AU fans know him, he would be very celebrated, AND I heard on ESPN radio that his latest contract was rejected because it had a clause that said he could leave should the GM of the Saints leave. So could this be the HC & AD combo we are all hoping for? Probably not, but at least from my point of view, and with all of the different "hints" given, he meets most if not all. I can hope lol.

It would be awesome, but he is now going to be the most sought after free agent coaches in recent memory. They are already speculating that he could end up in dallas, but more than likely he'll resign with NO. Otherwise he does seem to meet the criteria.

I have no problem with Fisher but wonder whether saying he is someone that would keep our recruits on board might be an overstatement. Just because he's coached in the NFL doesn't mean he is going to relate to them well and he's never recruited high school athletes before. He might be great at it but how would JGT or anyone else know that now? My guess is that JGT is talking about someone else. Unfortunately, I have no idea who.

Are you serious? The guy has coached in the NFL over ten years and he has been sucessful at it to. If i'm a recruit i'm signing and playing for that guy because he better knows then anyone what it takes to get to the next level.

How many years of college ball did you play?

Okay, that's a weak argument. We'd be quite fortunate to hire Jeff Fisher. The man has coached in a superbowl. That is about all you need. Recruits want to make it to the pros, trust me on that one. The guy they feel gives them the best opportunity to get there is where they'll go and it makes sense. Nobody in college football right now would know what the NFL wants more than Jeff Fisher. He would be a HR HIRE for sure and I don't understand any logic to the contrary. I doubt he comes out here, but we'd turn around in a hurry if he did take the job. He's also a fantastic X's and O's guy and the best recruits around the country would flock to play for him.

I could care less if Sean Payton has coached anything in college. The man is an amazing coach you need only look at how the New Orleans Saints look without him. Again, recruits want to play in the NFL. Sean Payton knows exactly what you need to make it to the NFL. I don't think some of you folks realize how the recruiting game has changed. It's not like the old days. The main thing that matters now is can you get my son into the NFL and can you prepare him to be a high draft pick? Look, I'm not saying that's the only thing but it's the MAIN THING. With somebody like Sean Payton, Auburn becomes a destination spot for top recruits and we start "selecting" players like they say Saban and some others do.

Now, I would like to state this Boom Hire is a college coach I think. That's just my guess and it's from somebody who's been successful for a while where he is at currently. We'll see what happens I suppose. The main thing, they are going after the big splash hire. That's exactly what Auburn needs and it warms me to see that taking place.

Yup, Payton is going to forego multiple NFL HC options to coach Auburn.

Boys and girls, not everybody sees Auburn as the almighty place to be as most here do. He's not coming here. There's a difference in being hopeful and being ridiculous.

Besides, Titan has already said a billion times its not him.

To the people suggesting Pete Carrol...do you really want the NCAA to have that much more reason to set up shop in Auburn? Look what he brought down on USC.

I would like an honest list of coaches who have only coached the NFL, no matter their level of success, and moved to the college game to also be successful.

i was about to say saban, but then i realized i misread. i don't know but i imagine its a very short list

Tony Dungy anyone?

I was thinking about him yesterday. He would be a good one. Is he currently coaching?

No

... and he's only 57 ???

The AD and coach being mentioned are Syracuse AD Daryl Gross and HC Pete Carroll. Gross is much more a possibility. Gross worked with Carroll at USC and also played WR for the Jets when Pete Carroll was the DC.

After two consecutive 7-9 seasons if he doesn't make the playoffs it might not be his choice. Plus he likes the college game better. He only left because of the allegations. But again he is a very remote possibility.

I was told that Gross was among a group of AD's that was contacted unofficially to gauge their interest and he showed the most interest among that group. He also mentioned he thought Carroll was a possibility as he is close to him. He was the bridge that got Carroll to USC. Nothing more than that has happened.

The AD and coach being mentioned are Syracuse AD Daryl Gross and HC Pete Carroll. Gross is much more a possibility. Gross worked with Carroll at USC and also played WR for the Jets when Pete Carroll was the DC.

That would be awesome.

For the guy that's gonna post something to the effect of "Do you think NCAA violations and sanctions are awesome?" Save it...

I would like an honest list of coaches who have only coached the NFL, no matter their level of success, and moved to the college game to also be successful.

i was about to say saban, but then i realized i misread. i don't know but i imagine its a very short list

Saban would be #1 on a "short" list :)

Archived