Who is the "BOOM HIRE" that EagleDamnWar speaks of

tbone4jc

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeff Fisher is a very possible candidate. He hasnt been very happy after getting fired at Tennessee and im sure is not happy at St. Louis. He has ties to Auburn, I could definitely see him at Auburn. Who would his AD connection be though?

Spurrier is never leaving SC... stoops will go pro if he leaves..

I'd have a difficult time getting excited over Stoops; his tenure there has earned them the nickname "Chokelahoma". I find it unlikely that Spurrier wishes to leave South Carolina. He doesn't need the money, and I don't think he has the same fire in him anymore. At 67, why bother? South Carolina is perfectly content with him.

I'd have a difficult time getting excited over Stoops; his tenure there has earned them the nickname "Chokelahoma".

Really? This is lunacy.

Over 13 seasons at OU he has:

Averaged 10.7 wins per season

Won 7 Big XII Conference Championships and 8 Division titles

Won a BCS title and played for two others

Has gone 3-4 in the SEVEN BCS bowl appearances they've had and played Florida and LSU close in two of the ones they lost.

Has a 7-6 bowl record overall which, since they've been to 7 BCS bowls, isn't inflated with a bunch of low tier wins over nobodys

You'd have to be on drugs not to want that coach at Auburn if he wanted to come. Whether he is wanting a change of scenery and a new challenge is another thing altogether. I don't think it's likely either. But you'd be crazy not to want him.

I'd have a difficult time getting excited over Stoops; his tenure there has earned them the nickname "Chokelahoma".

Really? This is lunacy.

Has gone 3-4 in the SEVEN BCS bowl appearances they've had and played Florida and LSU close in two of the ones they lost.

Has a 7-6 bowl record overall which, since they've been to 7 BCS bowls, isn't inflated with a bunch of low tier wins over nobodys

You'd have to be on drugs not to want that coach at Auburn if he wanted to come. Whether he is wanting a change of scenery and a new challenge is another thing altogether. I don't think it's likely either. But you'd be crazy not to want him.

I would have no problem with Stoops, but there are a few concerns going from where he is to the SEC West.

1) Most seasons he only had to beat texas. The Big 12 (Big 12 North in particular) was pretty dismal while he has been there. I do not read much into his conference and division championships.

2) The last 2 BCS title games he played in were because it is Oklahoma - not much deserving of the bids. (we could argue about 2004 but 2003 was a joke)

Out of curiosity - what is his record versus Top 25 and Top 10? If you are going to succeed in this division and be considered a "home run" hire then you need to have a winning record in those categories.

I've read the last 54 pages of this thread. I've lost an hour of my life and i've got speculation all over my shirt.

Chiz was a "boom" hire...so I'm a just wait and see.

Really? This is lunacy.

I didn't say I'd have a problem with him coming, just that I'd have a difficult time getting excited over it. I suppose it could be prejudice; I watched most of those "chokes". When I look at the conference he's been in for that time, it's been pretty much Texas/Oklahoma, with everyone else consistently starting a rung or two down. He seems on par with Richt to me (if you put him in this conference). An absolute improvement over Chizik, and thus an improvement for us, but not one I'd be doing cartwheels over. That said, I wouldn't be scratching my head over why he was hired, and would be happy to watch him show me with on-field results why he was a "boom" hire. I'd take him over Charlie Strong, that's for sure.

I've read the last 54 pages of this thread. I've lost an hour of my life and i've got speculation all over my shirt.

Chizik was a boom hire? He was 5-19 with a 10 game losing streak when he was hired at AU.

Chizik was a boom hire? He was 5-19 with a 10 game losing streak when he was hired at AU.

And in his fourth year here… BOOM

Boom goes both ways....just saying. Boom, that was spectacular or Boom, that just blew the hell up. For my purposes in reflecting the current state of the Athletics programs, we'll assume the latter.

Spurrier huh? If he had the same record here that he has at USCe...we would have fired him in year 4 or 5 at best. 62% winning record there.

If JJ stays...Chizik has a good shot of staying. If somehow chizik is fired, I fully expect JJ to hire someone along the lines of Mark Hudspeth, David Cutcliffe, etc. You guys can forget boom....it will be doom. The au fan base has leverage here.....speak up.

I just don't see Jacobs staying. Who really thinks he is? The entire sports program at AU is in decline. Only exception being the NC. That was awesome, but that was a perfect storm kinda' year and you can't expect that to ever happen again with a 5-19 ISU coach and there are only so many Cam Newton's of the world to go around.

I just don't see Jacobs staying. Who really thinks he is? The entire sports program at AU is in decline. Only exception being the NC. That was awesome, but that was a perfect storm kinda' year and you can't expect that to ever happen again with a 5-19 ISU coach and there are only so many Cam Newton's of the world to go around.

I don't know how but Jacobs has gotten some support recent and his fate is not decided yet.

Archived