Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

I love Auburn period. I will always love Auburn. If we hire Petrino I won't support the football team. His moral compass is too far from due north.

This is the way I feel as well. Hiring Petrino IMO would be becoming exactly what most of us consider the other school to be all about. Believe me, it has nothing to do with coaching but to me, coaching a major college program is about more than wins and it always will be. I understand however, that many people care more about winning games than anything else but I just do not agree with that stance. I want to win as much as most people but I simply do not want to win at all costs.

The 4 members of my family feel just this way.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if he's my choice but I see alot of "no petrino" posts because of his "morals"....If his wife can forgive him who the hell are we to not forgive him?

For me it's not just his morals - I have questions about his commitment to defense, will he be as obsessed with that side of the ball as he is with offense, how about recruiting, how much effort will he put there..relentless like Saban, Chizik, and others or will he use the Tubbs approach of coaching them up

People said the same about Spurrier...until Bob Stoops came along, followed by Strong, Tyrone Nix and Ellis Johnson.

apples to oranges comparison. And no CBP couldn't hold CSOS jock in his day.

Not at all. Most people think he's the best offensive gameplanner and playcaller since Spurrier came along. But all Spurrier could do is score like crazy but not win the big one. Got crushed by Nebraska in '95. Florida didn't get truly great under him until he hired Bob Stoops as his DC. Since then Spurrier has understood the need to have a good defense. Before that he just thought he could outscore anyone. He had little commitment to defense.

Apples to apples.

He was unable to win a national title til Stoops came along, but he pretty much manhandled the SEC, where he won a several league titles without great defenses so to speak..

Ummm...didn't you just chastise BP for lack of defense, now you're defending Spurrier for not having D...holy crap the logic some of you use is astonishing.

By know means am I making am excuse for Spurrier, I was pointing out he still was able to win SEC titles without a great defense, whereas BP could not... BP has a great offensive system, if he committed to building up his defense like his offense he would increase his odds of winning a major conference championship....if he gets another shot maybe he should look at how it worked out for the ole ball coach...

I don't know if he's my choice but I see alot of "no petrino" posts because of his "morals"....If his wife can forgive him who the hell are we to not forgive him?

For me it's not just his morals - I have questions about his commitment to defense, will he be as obsessed with that side of the ball as he is with offense, how about recruiting, how much effort will he put there..relentless like Saban, Chizik, and others or will he use the Tubbs approach of coaching them up

People said the same about Spurrier...until Bob Stoops came along, followed by Strong, Tyrone Nix and Ellis Johnson.

apples to oranges comparison. And no CBP couldn't hold CSOS jock in his day.

Not at all. Most people think he's the best offensive gameplanner and playcaller since Spurrier came along. But all Spurrier could do is score like crazy but not win the big one. Got crushed by Nebraska in '95. Florida didn't get truly great under him until he hired Bob Stoops as his DC. Since then Spurrier has understood the need to have a good defense. Before that he just thought he could outscore anyone. He had little commitment to defense.

Apples to apples.

He was unable to win a national title til Stoops came along, but he pretty much manhandled the SEC, where he won a several league titles without great defenses so to speak..

Ummm...didn't you just chastise BP for lack of defense, now you're defending Spurrier for not having D...holy crap the logic some of you use is astonishing.

By know means am I making am excuse for Spurrier, I was pointing out he still was able to win SEC titles without a great defense, whereas BP could not... BP has a great offensive system, if he committed to building up his defense like his offense he would increase his odds of winning a major conference championship....if he gets another shot maybe he should look at how it worked out for the ole ball coach...

Always a first for everything.WDE

1. This Petrino talk has gotta stop. Look, the guy hired a mistress in his previous job, got caught after the Harley wreck, and then lied to the AD, Prez, Media and anyone else that would listen. I understand he was trying to cover his rear end but honesty goes along way in my book. He left Atlanta in the middle of the night and simply put, is just not a good enough man to helm the head coaching job at Auburn. We deserve better, and he deserves less. If he is hired, I will still be an Auburn Man, but I will feel a little dirty about it. (haha). Look at the success of other schools who hired outside the SEC, and hired coaches with little to no SEC experience - Saban to LSU from Michigan State, Meyer to Florida from Utah, Miles to LSU from ???. I'm just saying there is a bunch of great candidates, and you gotta' at least make some calls to gauge some interest and not settle for a coach that is 0 and 4 against bammer in his career as a head coach.

The SEC was not anything near the juggernaut from 1990-95 that it is now.

Well Titan you threw this line out early today by starting this thread. You should feel a sense of satisfaction at it getting all this attention. Nearly 30 pages!

Petrino is PROVEN as a HC in the SEC. That speaks for itself.

He's proven he can't beat bama and LSU.

Except he was 2-2 against LSU. Only Miles, Spurrier and Chiz have beaten Alabama the last 3 seasons plus this one. You proposing we can steal LSU or South Carolina's coach?

We want National Championships. Patrino can't beat bama let alone win a NC.

If he can go 11-2 with less talent overall (only losing to the two teams that did play for the national title), I think he can get a national title with better talent.

If he can go 11-2 with less talent overall (only losing to the two teams that did play for the national title), I think he can get a national title with better talent.

Exactly. As wonderful as the rest of the world thinks Saban is as a coach, check his records outside of LSU and bama. It wasn't until he was at schools with those levels of reputation, resources, and recruiting potential that the NC's started coming.

Ditto!!!

1. This Petrino talk has gotta stop. Look, the guy hired a mistress in his previous job, got caught after the Harley wreck, and then lied to the AD, Prez, Media and anyone else that would listen. I understand he was trying to cover his rear end but honesty goes along way in my book. He left Atlanta in the middle of the night and simply put, is just not a good enough man to helm the head coaching job at Auburn. We deserve better, and he deserves less. If he is hired, I will still be an Auburn Man, but I will feel a little dirty about it. (haha). Look at the success of other schools who hired outside the SEC, and hired coaches with little to no SEC experience - Saban to LSU from Michigan State, Meyer to Florida from Utah, Miles to LSU from ???. I'm just saying there is a bunch of great candidates, and you gotta' at least make some calls to gauge some interest and not settle for a coach that is 0 and 4 against bammer in his career as a head coach.

Ditto.... Would rather lose than watch this loser win... Which he would not very long... Before screwing up or leaving for a hotter jig...

Ditto.... Would rather lose than watch this loser win... Which he would not very long... Before screwing up or leaving for a hotter jig...

You will watch. When we win you will cheer.

That is true. But I still don't want Petrino as coach. I would rather win with someone who can say 'family' without smirking.

A sad state of affairs when we are willing to barter our integrity and character for football victories. Petrino is not the only answer.

Seriously doubt it.... But if you and Bobby win, I won't boo either... Will just let that season ticket pay for a nice vacation next fall...

Based on recent Bobby stops, I'll be back soon...

And hey I hear he has changed... It's now Red Headed Honda's...

Please check your moral superiority at the login. We've all made mistakes, they just weren't in the media. Petrino is a baller, player and all around force to be reckoned with. Stop hating the player and focus your hate on the game.

If a dude as fugly as Petrino can pull extra-marital leg like that, he can coach my team any day.

WDE and let's get this guy in O&B ASAP.

I would like to be filled in about how many championships Petrino has, since he is supposedly all-world....and please folks if you are saying those who don't support bring him in are "high and mighty", I mean really? Think about it like this, say there is a 5* recruit we all want, but he keeps getting into trouble, lied to his coaches and quit a team when the going got tough but man he can play some ball! So what do you do, take another chance and think he may change or do you see that the character issues are going to cause more headaches than triumphs? Now that is a scenario w/ a kid....we are talking about a grown man. He is what he is.....I'll pass there are other good coaches out there.

Please check your moral superiority at the login. We've all made mistakes, they just weren't in the media. Petrino is a baller, player and all around force to be reckoned with. Stop hating the player and focus your hate on the game.

If a dude as fugly as Petrino can pull extra-marital leg like that, he can coach my team any day.

Three strikes and your out.... It's about more than blondes and Harley's

Three strikes and your out.... It's about more than blondes and Harley's

You're catching on man. I agree. More important than hotties is winning and he has that one down. Why can't a grown man have both...?

Archived