Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

I am not going to enter the debate about BP, but I would like to know if anyone honestly thinks Gogue would hire him? From what I read I do not think that is even remotely possible.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not going to enter the debate about BP, but I would like to know if anyone honestly thinks Gogue would hire him? From what I read I do not think that is even remotely possible.

I honestly think he's the favorite right now. The little info we know is:

1) around the vandy game, the web lit up with rumors about him

2) Kevin Scarbinsky reported AU reps met with him in bham

3) Petrino Sr said in an interview that Jr had spoken to one sec school

4) Philip Marshall reported that Petrino fired his agent, implying it was because chizik has the same agent so he couldn't ethically negotiate for another client's job

5)Jay Tate has reported the last 2 nights that it's appearing more likely each day

This is all conjecture that could be coincidence, but there's a lot of smoke IMO.

Clearly the green-eyed monster is alive and well in the Auburn fanbase. I have to laugh when I read all these magnanimous offerings of 2nd chances and forgiveness justifying the hiring of Bobby Petrino when we all know good and well the real reason. An alarmng number of Auburn fans are so eaten up with envy and jealousy of what is happening in Tuscaloosa they're willing to subordinate everything to doing what they think will make Auburn a winning football program. We're there folks. We've arrived at that plateau where, apparently, we want to be bama so bad we'll do virtually anything to get there. Bamafans been saying we're jealous and envious for years and until now I just laughed at them but I have to concede that point now because they are right. Presently, most of the sentiment coming from those who are "all in" the hire Petrino movement, is driven by jealousy and envy. How do I know that? Quite a few have gone on record and admitted it. I never would've believed it if I hadnt seen it with my own eyes. We're all entitled to freely post our sentiments without recriminations and Im not criticizing anyone for their stance but I would less than honest if I said anything other than I find it somewhat surprising to say the least! Auburn fans and the green-eyed monster make for strange bed fellows. I guess if one lives long enough you'll see most everything you never thought you'd see. war eagle!

I think you can look back and see that I have been a big BP supporter since game 4. I have zero envy for bama, but i do respect what they have accomplished. I also respect the fact that they are willing to do what they feel is the right move regardless of the media perceptions surrounding it (like with hiring Saban). But, I am not someone that feels we need to be like bama. I have grown tired of losing to UGA every year and it not even being a close game. I am tired of losses to UK, Vandy, Miss St, Ole Miss and the like. If Alabama was 3-8 and fighting with us for their first SEC win, then I would still feel that BP was the best football coach available for Auburn and getting us back to winning.

This has zero to do with bama and everything to do with Auburn's subpar performances.

I like Petrino, but like another poster on here said, you have to believe the other coaches would have a field day sitting with recruits and their mothers bashing BP's character

Rick Pitino dropped in to say "hi".

Tell him I said hello. Apples and oranges here. Basketball recruiting is more about a coach's relationships with AAU coaches and "handlers" ...football recruiting is more about relationships with mommas, daddies, and grandmommas.

I like Petrino, but like another poster on here said, you have to believe the other coaches would have a field day sitting with recruits and their mothers bashing BP's character

Tell him I said hello. Apples and oranges here. Basketball recruiting is more about a coach's relationships with AAU coaches and "handlers" ...football recruiting is more about relationships with mommas, daddies, and grandmommas.

Those gatekeepers in basketball don't eliminate mommas, daddies and grandmommas from the equation. No AAU coach is going to be able to override them. Still all about where a kid feels he has the best chance to play and get to the pros. It's nothing close to apples and oranges. More like valencia oranges and navel oranges.

One more time..........NO PETRINO. There are too many coaches out there available to settle for him. He brings way too much baggage with him. We need stability,and NO MORE DRAMA of any kind. This program is rocking with all the negativity lately from players failures and Coaches lack of control. Bring an older settled Coach with coaching success or a young fiery Coach from a smaller program,like Northern Illinois, or similar.

Let me get this straight. Instead of AU bringing in a proven winner ( baggage or not), you want AU to bring in another Chizik? Sorry but I will take the baggage. It will be forgotten after a winning season.

For the record, I am not in the BP bandwagon. But if he is hired I will support him.

If you think it will go away after a winning season IMO you're mistaken. I heard about CTT and Ole Miss all the way up to his departure from Auburn.

Wikipedia but still,

"Tuberville got his first collegiate head coaching job in 1994 at the University of Mississippi. He took over a Rebel team under severe NCAA scholarship sanctions and was named the SEC Coach of the Year in 1997 by the AP. During his tenure, he acquired the nickname "The Riverboat Gambler" for his aggressive play calling, particularly on 4th down. While at Mississippi Tuberville made the statement, "They'll have to carry me out of here in a pine box," in reference to not leaving to coach at another school. Two days after he made that statement, it was announced that he was departing for Auburn."

Or if you like, "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

It would be naive to think that the $hit talking is gonna be forgotten. I'll give you that. But that's all I'm gonna give you.

to all who would want petrino,

You all are fools! Not only do you have the moral baggage, the biggest issue is he has proven that as soon as

the going gets tough, he is gone!- (Atlanta when vick is put in jail)

saban ,miles, the ol' ball coach will have a field day with that in some young 4-5 star recruit's living room.--

Good point.

Those gatekeepers in basketball don't eliminate mommas, daddies and grandmommas from the equation. No AAU coach is going to be able to override them. Still all about where a kid feels he has the best chance to play and get to the pros. It's nothing close to apples and oranges. More like valencia oranges and navel oranges.

I've never gotten the apples and oranges comparison. I mean, outside of tangerines and grapefruits, that's probably the most apt comparison. They both have internal seeds, grow on a tree, have a rind, etc. Yeah different colors but still. Now if you said that's like comparing apples to highly enriched plutonium...

You all are fools! Not only do you have the moral baggage, the biggest issue is he has proven that as soon as

saban ,miles, the ol' ball coach will have a field day with that in some young 4-5 star recruit's living room.--

Good point.

Not really...

He left Louisville when Louisville was on top...that going wasn't tough....and he left to go to the NFL

He left Atlanta because he wanted to bench high profile players that were causing issues in the locker room....the higher ups wouldn't allow him so he informed them he would finish the year out and give them time to find someone else...they fired him immediately instead because he wanted to run his team his way...

He left Arkansas because of an off the field issue where he made a major mistake, but he is human....add in the fact that Arkansas was having back to back double digit win seasons....would still be there if he didn't mess up off the field....would still be there actually if he didn't try to do what most humans would do and cover up a majorly embarrassing thing that he did / happened to him.

BP has wanted to be Head Coach at Auburn for 10 years now. He loves the school and I think he would do well.

As a football coach he would be an excellent hire....I wouldn't be his friend because of some of his shortcomings as a man...but I would be able to forgive him and move past it

Him as a person wouldn't affect recruiting....winning and putting kids in the league effects recruiting...he was much more successful in the league then saban...kids know that.....if he is winning and putting players in positions to become millionaires...they wont care if he is hitting on their mommas...if being a bad person affected recruiting Saban's tactics of lying, processing and the misc other stuff like spanking players and busting his foot off in their asses would have ran all of Alabamas recruiting chances into the ground.

Petrino is our Saban. It's the perfect storm for the perfect situation. Despite what he has done as a man, he is an excellent football coach that DEVELOPS players. And does it very well. We have not had that the past 4 years. At Louisville and Arkansas, he took a mediocre program and made them great. Think about what he could do with the resources here at AU.

Good point.

Not really...

He left Louisville when Louisville was on top...that going wasn't tough....and he left to go to the NFL

He left Atlanta because he wanted to bench high profile players that were causing issues in the locker room....the higher ups wouldn't allow him so he informed them he would finish the year out and give them time to find someone else...they fired him immediately instead because he wanted to run his team his way...

He left Arkansas because of an off the field issue where he made a major mistake, but he is human....add in the fact that Arkansas was having back to back double digit win seasons....would still be there if he didn't mess up off the field....would still be there actually if he didn't try to do what most humans would do and cover up a majorly embarrassing thing that he did / happened to him.

BP has wanted to be Head Coach at Auburn for 10 years now. He loves the school and I think he would do well.

As a football coach he would be an excellent hire....I wouldn't be his friend because of some of his shortcomings as a man...but I would be able to forgive him and move past it

Him as a person wouldn't affect recruiting....winning and putting kids in the league effects recruiting...he was much more successful in the league then saban...kids know that.....if he is winning and putting players in positions to become millionaires...they wont care if he is hitting on their mommas...if being a bad person affected recruiting Saban's tactics of lying, processing and the misc other stuff like spanking players and busting his foot off in their asses would have ran all of Alabamas recruiting chances into the ground.

Regarding the Atlanta stuff, I don't know because I wasn't there, but you do realize that flies in the face of pretty much everything published about his leaving the Falcons? I'm not arguing with you, just throwing that out there.

Good point.

Not really...

Regarding the Atlanta stuff, I don't know because I wasn't there, but you do realize that flies in the face of pretty much everything published about his leaving the Falcons? I'm not arguing with you, just throwing that out there.

There was an article posted in this thread that stated exactly what I posted I believe.

4) Philip Marshall reported that Petrino fired his agent, implying it was because chizik has the same agent so he couldn't ethically negotiate for another client's job

5)Jay Tate has reported the last 2 nights that it's appearing more likely each day

This is all conjecture that could be coincidence, but there's a lot of smoke IMO.

That 1 statement has two problems..."Philip Marshall reported..." and the second part about ethically negotiating as opposed to what? Jetgate? Motorcycle, mistress accident?

On the flipside, Jay Tate has been pretty reliable.

Me personally, I'm hoping that ST's (the most reliable insider I've read in the last 3 years) info about Jimbo will be more accurate. I just really have a hard time backing a BP hire. Now only if the PTB would contact me. It's whatever. More than likely, after it's all said and done, if BP is hired I'm still going to support AU. I'll be baffled initially, but the more I think about it, the more I think wins will cure it.

That 1 statement has two problems..."Philip Marshall reported..." and the second part about ethically negotiating as opposed to what? Jetgate? Motorcycle, mistress accident?

Me personally, I'm hoping that ST's (the most reliable insider I've read in the last 3 years) info about Jimbo will be more accurate. I just really have a hard time backing a BP hire. Now only if the PTB would contact me. It's whatever. More than likely, after it's all said and done, if BP is hired I'm still going to support AU. I'll be baffled initially, but the more I think about it, the more I think wins will cure it.

Perhaps the agent was the one with the moral issue? and refused to try to negotiate for CBP when Chizik is a client of his as well?

Good point.

Not really...

There was an article posted in this thread that stated exactly what I posted I believe.

And numerous other articles stating how he was miserable in the NFL because he couldn't handle the players and wanted back in the college game. Again, not a Falcons or Petrino insider so I can't make a statement of fact.

Good point.

Not really...

And numerous other articles stating how he was miserable in the NFL because he couldn't handle the players and wanted back in the college game. Again, not a Falcons or Petrino insider so I can't make a statement of fact.

True, though one could take that as "he didn't have the freedom to bench the players he wanted to because of the higher ups"....not , "he couldn't control millionaire kids that think their s*** don't stink"..couldn't handle the players could be taken either way.

I can see your view on the matter though.

If it were petrino his contract would have more clauses than the malls in Christmas time

Good point (and funny). I saw someone post earlier that they thought we might could get him with a contract with no buyout clause if he did not perform well on the field or off of it. I don't know if that is possible, but I would hope there would be some serious stipulations in the contract so AU can cover their butts if something did go down.

He would have to agree to several protective stipulations in his contract, decidedly tilted toward Auburn, that coaches of his stature wouldn't normally have to even consider.

Just for the sake of discussion, does anyone think Petrino would accept the position of offensive coordinator under Chizik?

Also, I wonder if those opposed to Petrino as head coach would feel as strongly opposed to him as OC?

I am not advocating keeping Chizik -- just wondering 'what if?' we did keep him and went after Petrino as OC and curious if anyone believes that would be a possibility and how folks would feel about it.

Personally, I couldn't see this happening. Petrino is a head coach who has been successful, someone will let him run their team. Also I doubt anyone would want to coach under chizik because there is no job security.

Yeah, unless someone is thinking he could take over as head coach if we fire Gene after one more year.

We get to keep the recruiting class, we get a HUGE upgrade in terms of coaching at the OC level, and Gouge doesn't have to fire anyone.

I just found this article, which lays out the scenario. Not sure I buy it, but it does make some sense. I think a lot depends on how much Petrino wants to coach at Auburn. I wonder whether the fact that he could get a head coaching job somewhere else, combined with him being willing to take the OC position at Auburn, would change some folks minds about him. It would indicate, at least to me, that he really wants to be at Auburn. Whether that might be enough for some folks to change their minds about him, who knows?

I agree for the most part. Most of Marshall's sources left town with the BBQ bunch. He also hasn't been entirely credible in the past. But when BP left atl and took the arky job, Marshall was the very first person petrino gave an interview. They have a strong relationship. That's why I believe him in this instance.

And as mike pointed out, the ethical problem was Russ Campbell's, not Petrino's.

I agree for the most part. Most of Marshall's sources left town with the BBQ bunch. He also hasn't been entirely credible in the past. But when BP left atl and took the arky job, Marshall was the very first person petrino gave an interview. They have a strong relationship. That's why I believe him in this instance.

You don't need insiders from the old BBQ gang at Auburn to find out Petrino cut his agent loose.

Archived