What Gus' hiring means for frazier

milehighfan

It means he will have an opportunity to try out for quarterback. My gut feeling is Wallace will be the man unless a JUCO or true freshman comes in and takes it. Sorry, I know how much everyone wants Frazier to succeed but unless he makes dramatic improvement in poise and decision making he won't be the QB.

Don't kid yourself. None of our quarterbacks this year played well enough to win in the SEC. They're all in the same boat: Show up and prove to Gus you have more than you showed last year. Otherwise you'll be watching J.Johnson from the bench or transferring.

I'm under no illusions and agree with you completely. That's why I included freshman or JUCO in my post. I just don't think it will be Frazier. Malzahn had plenty of opportunity to give him more leash in 2011 but did not. There is a reason. With some coaching, a good system and a little time I believe Wallace could be a good journeyman QB. Other than Wallace I agree with Heath Evans we don't have a QB on the team. I do not mean this as an insult but SEC is as big as it gets south of the NFL.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That these offenses work great until someone blows you off the ball and is 2 steps in your back field. All the offensive stats in the world don't win a football game just by existing. Look at Oregon. Great team, fast pace, tons of yards. Oregon meet Stanford and big guys getting across the line of scrimmage putting helmets on your playmakers. Football at its core is still about blocking, running, and tackling. No amount of misdirection in the world will win if you can't do those.

Watching highlights of the games where the offense works is awesome. The games our offense was stymied we lost by 2-3 touchdowns. Hopefully we don't have that again but right now I am currently nervous about how this coach who was yelling at high school kids just 7 years ago will do handling a historically top 15 program with Millions of dollars a year riding on his offense.

KF doesn't have a strong enough arm to throw a lot of deep passes that we thought he had. If he did, then why didn't coaches let him throw more deep balls?

Nothing weak armed about this throw.

2nd and 8 at AUB 46 Kiehl Frazier pass complete to Emory Blake for 54 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.

That these offenses work great until someone blows you off the ball and is 2 steps in your back field. All the offensive stats in the world don't win a football game just by existing. Look at Oregon. Great team, fast pace, tons of yards. Oregon meet Stanford and big guys getting across the line of scrimmage putting helmets on your playmakers. Football at its core is still about blocking, running, and tackling. No amount of misdirection in the world will win if you can't do those.

Watching highlights of the games where the offense works is awesome. The games our offense was stymied we lost by 2-3 touchdowns. Hopefully we don't have that again but right now I am currently nervous about how this coach who was yelling at high school kids just 7 years ago will do handling a historically top 15 program with Millions of dollars a year riding on his offense.

^^This^^

When executed properly, the spread is one of the most dynamic, fun to watch offensive schemes in football. However, as stated above, when the blocking breaks down, the spread is abysmal.

As for Kiehl, his biggest problem is his lack of confidence. It is obvious that he is afraid of contact. For what reason, I don't know but watching him play this last season, you could see that he focused way too much on the rush and did not keep his eyes downfield. If focusing on the rush was not a result of his fear of contact, it was as a result of him not having any confidence in himself and/or the O line. In either case, not keeping his eyes downfield caused him to make errant throws and seemingly ignore open receivers.

Until he regains (or develops) some confidence and resolves that he will have to take a hit now and again, he will not see the field unless it is at another position.

Our QB for 2013 will come from JUCO. Sad to say, but, We do not currently have a proven qb on the roster. So, Gus will go get one.

Just my 2 cents

I totally agree. We do not have an SEC quality QB currently on the roster. I desperately hope we sign on in February, whether it be JUCO kid or Jeremy Johnson.

wde

Hope everyone that feels this way eats their words in 2013 and has the guts to put out a formal appology. My 2 cents.. A new day, a new beginning.... gotta believe....

Well everywhere he's been he's been fine. He's a winner. And to your point no offense will be effective if you can't execute. The same can be said for any defense. I think we lost to every offense imaginable this year. If we didn't it's because we didn't play them. And we couldn't score running...whatever it was we ran. Like I said before it all comes down to execution and attention to details, and from what we've been told not too many pay more attention to detail than CGM.

Our QB for 2013 will come from JUCO. Sad to say, but, We do not currently have a proven qb on the roster. So, Gus will go get one.

Just my 2 cents

Chris Todd says hi. I feel Wallace has more talent than Todd.

seen all i need or want to see of frazier.....

Ben Leard says hi. Jason Campbell too.

How Stanford stopped the Oregon offense may not really jibe with how you think they did it. http://smartfootball.com/defense/new-grantland-how-stanford-shut-down-oregon

One other thing I keep seeing from both the media and posters on the various football forums is the idea that Malzahn runs some sort of finesse spread. Malzahn's offense isn't that at all. Go back and watch 2009 and 2010 highlights. When Malzahn says that his offense is run/play action with power at a fast pace, that is a true statement. Was the same thing at Tulsa. AU will run the ball with Malzahn. With power. Speed is important, but his is a hurry up offense, not a speed and finesse offense.

That these offenses work great until someone blows you off the ball and is 2 steps in your back field.

That applies to any offense.

I know everyone has their opinion, and I know Frazier was not a pro set QB. With that being said I saw two things that will keep Frazier from the starting QB job.#1. FEAR!!!!! #2. No leadership ability.....Even if being in the spread is more comfortable and less stressful for Frazier you can't teach the leadership!!

I honestly think Wallace is a couple of steps ahead of Frazier, Doesn't have a cannon for an arm but he is accurate, decisive, and a hard and tough runner. When it was said that the day after the vandy game where Wallace fumbled and he was out by himself running into the blaster it told me all I needed to know about him.

Just my 2 cents

I totally agree. We do not have an SEC quality QB currently on the roster. I desperately hope we sign on in February, whether it be JUCO kid or Jeremy Johnson.

wde

Hope everyone that feels this way eats their words in 2013 and has the guts to put out a formal appology. My 2 cents.. A new day, a new beginning.... gotta believe....

I would love to eat my words and would have no problem putting out a formal apology. I believed in KF until it became clear why Gus himself let KF only throw 12 passes (and basically one read routes at that) in 2011. Again, I will be more than happy to eat my words and apologize.

wde

^^This^^

When executed properly, the spread is one of the most dynamic, fun to watch offensive schemes in football. However, as stated above, when the blocking breaks down, the spread is abysmal.

As for Kiehl, his biggest problem is his lack of confidence. It is obvious that he is afraid of contact. For what reason, I don't know but watching him play this last season, you could see that he focused way too much on the rush and did not keep his eyes downfield. If focusing on the rush was not a result of his fear of contact, it was as a result of him not having any confidence in himself and/or the O line. In either case, not keeping his eyes downfield caused him to make errant throws and seemingly ignore open receivers.

Until he regains (or develops) some confidence and resolves that he will have to take a hit now and again, he will not see the field unless it is at another position.

When the blocking fails, every offense is abysmal.

I think I live Wallace more, but KF could be a quick release and long ball threat. He has to find a middle range receiver and be for cognizant in the pocket. I really like his quick release though. I would love to see him progress to a starter again.

Whoever is chosen to be the QB1 in 2013, then I hope CGM sticks with just that ONE QB, barring injury or a serious issue. I am not a fan of switching out the QBs all the time. It is disruptive to the offense, and it is very rarely successful. All QBs will make mistakes at some point, and even the best ones will have a bad game occasionally,especially the younger kids.

Just pick one and go with it.

I agree Tigerbelle. The only 2 QB team I'm aware of that worked was Auburn's X and Y teams in the mid 50's....and I've only read about that, never saw it. Every other team I'm aware of that has tried using 2 QB's has had problems.

I don't see CGM doing the QB switch or if he does, extreamly seldom.. The HUNH would be ineffective if you left the defense swap players and stay fresh.. I believe Chiz was the one who liked to do the hot-potato-QB-switch-a-roo play.. Makes getting a QB in rythm extreamly difficult.. Can't wait to see how much more talented we are next season with Frazier vs last year.. We will now have a coach and a teacher working with these young men instead of a buddy-system. WDE

It means he will have an opportunity to try out for quarterback. My gut feeling is Wallace will be the man unless a JUCO or true freshman comes in and takes it. Sorry, I know how much everyone wants Frazier to succeed but unless he makes dramatic improvement in poise and decision making he won't be the QB.

Agreed. If he is going to be QB, the offense will need to be simplified a lot. He looked like a deer in the headlights last year trying to read a defense.

Agreed. If he is going to be QB, the offense will need to be simplified a lot. He looked like a deer in the headlights last year trying to read a defense.

The team as a whole looked like Deer in the head lights if you wanna know the truth... New day, New ERA,,,Wipe the slate and see who learns the systems the fastest....

Archived