How difficult will the coming defensive transition be?

alabamapaper

It is natural for Auburn fans to wonder what caused the colossal collapse as the 2012 Bowl Season moves forward. While this is natural, it also will do nothing to change the facts entered in the history books.

In high school the majority of Auburn defensive players were in schemes that pushed attacking the opposition offense as quickly as possible, the majority of the time. We now know that these players were never able to adapt for success in Gene Chizik’s version of a read-and-react defensive scheme. There was very little variation in this scheme after the departure of Coach Rocker. The change of defensive coordinators appeared to have little or no impact on the effectiveness of the overall scheme.

Coach Ellis Johnson is known for his very aggressive defensive style that starts up front on the line of scrimmage. We only have what Coach Malzahn has spoken about to guide us as to his preferred defensive scheme. If left to his devices, will we see a much different Auburn defense in 2013?

If one were looking at Auburn’s defensive roster as the players were coming from high school, it is hard to imagine them being more fit for any scheme than that of Coach Ellis Johnson. It is likely the majority of them would have been recruited had Johnson’s defensive scheme been in place at Auburn for years. In fact, Johnson did recruit some of them in his tenure at South Carolina.

It is a new day for the defensive roster at Auburn and a new chance for these players to meet their potential. We can not know what the final results will be at this point, but it does appear the pathway with the most potential for success, for the current players, was the goal for Coach Malzahn with this hire. It does appear the time and recruiting burden required for this transition should be less than it could have been with other potential hires.

Nice post. I agree with this except the terrible tackling and pursuit angles will take time to correct.

Yes, there will be some things that most certainly will take time and a lot of work. I think some of this could be expedited with the right approach during the off season. While direct coaching by the staff is limited for much of this time, other programs seem to find ways of getting to spring training in a fundamentally sound condition and ready to install the schemes. I think the overall beginning performance level the team shows up with for spring training will tell us a lot about how successful this year can be with Coach Malzahn.

Nice post. I agree with this except the terrible tackling and pursuit angles will take time to correct.

I agree as well. The terrible tackling and taking poor pursuit angles are problems that have had 4 years to fester. Going to hard to fix that over 1 off season. I agree with cooltigger21 in that if I can just see some constant improvement throughout the season I will be OK with that.

wde

I will be happy to see the unit start moving forward. As long as improvement is being made and mistakes not repeated then I won't complain.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the individual players progress moving forward as well. It appears Coach Malzahn intends to run a more open program. If this is so, then information will be more available. It does give a certain element of enhanced accountability. Hopefully we will see some positive developments in this off season.

Ellis needs to go back to fundamentals.

That has been his motto since he got here....it will be nice to see some form tackles instead of air whiffs

transition? what are we transitioning from? gus should tell the defense to get with the strength coach and forget anything they thought they knew about football because when spring practice starts we are going to build a defense (not rebuild). if shock therapy was legal and wouldnt erase some of the academic side of their brains i would be all for just totally reprogramming these guys. there is more to do psychologically and fundamentally than scematically.

transition? what are we transitioning from? gus should tell the defense to get with the strength coach and forget anything they thought they knew about football because when spring practice starts we are going to build a defense (not rebuild). if shock therapy was legal and wouldnt erase some of the academic side of their brains i would be all for just totally reprogramming these guys. there is more to do psychologically and fundamentally than scematically.

Lift weights, great conditioning, play hard and listen to the coaches. Follow this and the defense will be dramatically improved.

Schemes, techniques, and fundamentals can be taught and changed. Size and speed can be changed to a much lesser degree. Talent must be recruited/developed.

If we do not fill some critical needs in this year's recruiting class, it really does not matter WHO the coach is or what style/scheme we run, we will not be a good defense (of course the posters will always blame the coaches).

How soon we are good on defense depends on how well we recruit. If we tank this class or we miss judge some people we sign, we will be on the 5 year plan.

Good previous posts and to the point.

Spring maybe / should be , at least on D side of the ball, football 101A. Prerequisite, remedial weight training.

We also need some JUCO blood @ LB and maybe DBs .

They at least come in without some of the bad habits the coaches have to correct now.

I think the success of the defense will hinge on two main factors:

1. The strength coach's program for the DL players.

2. The ability of the new DL coach to develop players. It's a very important hire.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...it all starts in the off season. Yes, weight training is important...conditioning is important too, BUT more importantly, the entire team has to learn what a good work ethic is. The new S&C coach will be judged early on how this process goes.

Changing and/or teaching schemes is not that difficult for players to pick up...they all came from different systems when the came out of high school. They are not dummies...they'll pick it up pretty fast. As for the constant comments about tackling and pursuit angles...you play the way you practice. I fully expect CEJ to teach this in the spring...and they will play in the fall the way they practice it.

Overall, I expect this team to rebound quickly, offensively and defensively. To expect less is really not giving these coaches or players much credit...they all are at Auburn because they are good, not mediocre. --WB82

Ellis needs to go back to fundamentals.

That has been his motto since he got here....it will be nice to see some form tackles instead of air whiffs

Amen!

I look for an improved defense for next season. It is hard to imagine it being worse. This year's defense did have some games that it played reasonably well such as the LSU, Vandy, and the 2 gimmee games at the end of the season. We had 2 good SEC performances. There is no reason that we cannot double this for next year. We might not win those games, but I think we will have a far better chance to do so next season. I do see the offense carrying the team for many games next year. I do think we will see a light years of improvment on offense. But still light years better for next season still might not win us more than 5-7 games for 2013.......But you never, never know what will happen. We might see double digit wins. Now that would be great for all of us!

We have to see improvement up front. The one year we weren't complete garbage on defense was when our front 4 could hold their own and stop the running game. Whittaker, Carter, Wright, and Blackson were all highly recruited guys that have to step up. It doesn't matter what scheme you run if the guys up the middle are soft and get blown off the ball. Besides that it is tackling. We actually were there to make a lot of plays early in the season but we would whiff on the tackle or not bring the ball carrier to the ground. I am hoping Ellis is going to toughen this bunch up and at least put a defense out there that can stop the run. I am not looking for a top 10 defense. I just want a defense that can stop the other team from running the ball at will and forces turnovers. Hopefully with our offense we will just need to make one or two stops to win

Changing D systems is a much easier process than on offense. A DB is a DB in any system and his fundamentals will be the same. A LB is a LB. Both of these positions will be the same except for maybe assignments, which should be easy to pick-up.

The main difference will be on the D-Line, especially if AU plans on using multiple fronts.

I would just like to see better fundamentals. As others have stated, good form tackling and better pursuit angles. I hope I am wrong, but I think we have holes on the D side of the ball that coaching can't change. Recruiting can. I would like to see a more physical, better coached, more agressive DL. I saw some promise from some of our younger DB's. I hope they continue to develop. I do believe our D will show improvement. For us to have success, they will have to.

I may be in the minority here but I don't think the "transition" is going to be difficult or even time consuming at all. After two straight years of blowout losses to our chief rivals, they have to be eager for a new direction. A complete turnover of the coaching staff will reinforce the concept that this is a new era and things aren't going to be the same ole same ole.

Does EJ's defenses actually attack? I have heard the "aggressive, blitzing, pressure," blah blah blah ab Roof and BVG and those were the most passive and terrible defenses in AU history

How many times do you need to be told/reminded that the defense we ran for FOUR years was CHIZIK's defense and is absolutely NO reflection on the abilities of Rood or Van Gorder?

Does EJ's defenses actually attack? I have heard the "aggressive, blitzing, pressure," blah blah blah ab Roof and BVG and those were the most passive and terrible defenses in AU history

How many times do you need to be told/reminded that the defense we ran for FOUR years was CHIZIK's defense and is absolutely NO reflection on the abilities of Rood or Van Gorder?

At least seven or eight more times...:tease:

At least seven or eight more times...:tease:/>

And obviously the guy hasn't watched and SC games in the past few years. Their D is all around the ball.

"Attacking defense" is sort of just coachspeak. The truth is EJ, just like all good DC's, will play whatever style a particular game calls for. If it calls for more sitting back and zone coverage, that's what he'll do. If it requires more blitzing and stacking the box, that's what he'll do. Attacking = blitzing. You can't blitz every down.

Archived