Does "redneck"= racial slur???

Argo

We've recently had a problem at my place of employment. It is a Japanese based company, and they put up with absolutely ZERO discrimination out of it's associates. The problem is this. Recently, we had a dispute between associates over one associate telling another associate what to do. Neither associate has the power to tell the other what to do, so that was the where the problem began. When the floor management stepped in, he told each individual where they would work for the night. The associate trying to play boss, was not pleased where he had to work. The problem was, it was his turn to work the position because they rotate every night. As he was walking away to his job, he told a higher up supervisor that the zone supervisor was an "ole country redneck" and his true colors were shinning through.

My question is this. Should the associate be terminated for calling another individual a redneck? Should redneck be considered a racial slur? My mind is made up, but I was just wondering what some of you thought.

If your place of employment is within the confines of the legal borders of the state of Alabama he should not be terminated for calling anyone a redneck.

If your place of employment is within the confines of the legal borders of the state of Alabama he should not be terminated for calling anyone a redneck.

120954[/snapback]

Yes it is, and yes he was probably wasn't far off with his remarks. Sadly for him though, this is the second time he's been involved in a conflict like this. Both times he provoked the conflict, and I'm not sure he will make it through this one. He's a really good worker, but tries to take advantage of people a little too much. The thing he has going for him, is the zone supervisor that he called a redneck doesn't want him punished.

Nah. White guys are anything you want to call them these days. Since we are all descendents of rich slave owners, we have no recourse. So calling someone a redneck is OK....

Was it a slur? Was his neck red? :lol:

A little advice: Stay as afar away from plant politics as possible! You'll be glad later when others get swept up in a big mess.

We've recently had a problem at my place of employment. It is a Japanese based company, and they put up with absolutely ZERO discrimination out of it's associates. The problem is this. Recently, we had a dispute between associates over one associate telling another associate what to do. Neither associate has the power to tell the other what to do, so that was the where the problem began. When the floor management stepped in, he told each individual where they would work for the night. The associate trying to play boss, was not pleased where he had to work. The problem was, it was his turn to work the position because they rotate every night. As he was walking away to his job, he told a higher up supervisor that the zone supervisor was an "ole country redneck" and his true colors were shinning through.

My question is this. Should the associate be terminated for calling another individual a redneck? Should redneck be considered a racial slur? My mind is made up, but I was just wondering what some of you thought.

120951[/snapback]

Rednecks aren't a 'race', so I don't see how it can be strictly defined as a racial slur. It 's more of a cultural outlook than anything. A black person can be a 'red neck'. Just look at Karl Malone of the NBA.

not a racial slur.

should not be fired for that, even though there may be other reasons to fire him

personally, i'd be more leery of an organization that feels the need to call their employees "associates" because they think it sounds better than "employee" or "plant worker". but hey...that's just me, and i'm a redneck from blount county.

ct

Archived