Game One -Feb 15

AU64

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i turned on gametracker at the end of the 7th inning and keep up off and on (btw, what a miserable way to keep up with a game ... i would hate gametracker except it is the only way for me to keep up with a game live - of course you guys being the only exception)

i review the game stats and see Ok starting pitching, errors leading to runs, bull pen performing slightly less than they need to in order to win and hitting not being timely ... then BOOM!!! Homer!

A win is a win!

edit: we did have the timely hitting in our 2 run inning ... i overlooked the atrocious baserunning.

i complained about this last year ... errors at the rate we had last year and the 2 this game are simply inexcusable. these guys have played baseball their entire lives ... maybe they should shoot free throws for the bball team and the tall boys can come take some grounders ...

Yes, our errors are too many and oftentimes painful to watch. Our middle infielders have been known for offense rather than their defense in the past which makes even routine plays scary. Hopefully just first game jitters this time around and they'll clean up this time around! Regardless 1-0 will satisfy me just fine for now. Please save our sports year AU baseball!

Well darn.....missed the walk -off....wife dragged me off for dinner in the 7th....great though to come back and see a WIN. :bananadance:

Same ol' in the sixth. Leadoff batter doubles. Then we waste an out bunting him to THIRD. WHY? He's already in scoring position. Two more doubles in the inning make the bunt worthless as we'd have scored anyway and the extra out possibly killed a bigger rally.

I've watched Coach Paws do this going onto five years now. You can just about bank it that if a leadoff batter doubles we'll kill the potential rally by sacrificing him to third.

No need to mention the baserunning that would drive the coach of any 13-year old team crazy.

Glevenyak continues to be unimpressive defensively at short....

Terrible angle with wind playing heck. True frosh in left field should have made the play as he had a better approach angle

Same ol' in the sixth. Leadoff batter doubles. Then we waste an out bunting him to THIRD. WHY? He's already in scoring position. Two more doubles in the inning make the bunt worthless as we'd have scored anyway and the extra out possibly killed a bigger rally.

I've watched Coach Paws do this going onto five years now. You can just about bank it that if a leadoff batter doubles we'll kill the potential rally by sacrificing him to third.

No need to mention the baserunning that would drive the coach of any 13-year old team crazy.

All negative post. Nice.

Yes, our errors are too many and oftentimes painful to watch. Our middle infielders have been known for offense rather than their defense in the past which makes even routine plays scary. Hopefully just first game jitters this time around and they'll clean up this time around! Regardless 1-0 will satisfy me just fine for now. Please save our sports year AU baseball!

Don't always focus on the negative. We turned the 4th most double plays in the conference last year and turned 2 today. We gave up 1 unearned run. Actually pitched very well considering Koger didn't bring his best stuff.

All negative post. Nice.

I notice you didn't try to refute anything in the post.

I agree. His in-game management is perplexing.

Don't always focus on the negative. We turned the 4th most double plays in the conference last year and turned 2 today. We gave up 1 unearned run. Actually pitched very well considering Koger didn't bring his best stuff.

I say this with all due respect Cajun, but I got a chuckle out of that first sentence. If you read my smattering of posts on here, I catch a bit of flak from the "I'd probably find something to be negative about if Auburn wins 110-0" crowd. As i said, 1-0 satisfies me just fine. It's just there is always room for improvement even during the good times. That being said, it was the first game of the season and those things were to be expected, and I am sure they will improve over the course of the year. It seems to me that some people pump negative just because of a personal vendetta against CJP rather than a desire to see the team improve. Everyone is going bat crazy over the decision to bunt in the sixth. At the time, we weren't exactly on a hitting exhibition, and I'd be willing to bet if the next guy pops out, people are having a totally different grumbling fest over this. As for me, like I said, I wasn't ecstatic about the baserunning, but I'm not going to go crucify a coach/players after it considering it was a WIN people. Was it a good win? Yes, because every win is good. It just shows we have ways to improve to reach our potential, and I have confidence they will do that.

Regarding the decision to bunt in the 6th, in a game we were losing only 1-0 with hitters struggling the options for a runner to score with 1 out from third than 1 out from second is high. Disregarding a base hit a guy can score on a sac fly, groundout, wild pitch/pass ball, suicide or safety squeeze, or a balk when on third instead of second. You want to do everything you can to score the first run and tie the game so statistically it makes sense and we have come to understand that is Coach Pawlowski's philosophy and approach.

The HC relies on bunting too much but I'm believe the bunt over was the correct call in this situation. Runs were scarce, thus requiring an attempt to manufacture a run.

We obviously have field, plate, mound and base issues to work on. Rather do so after a W than a L.

Thanks for the explanation on yaks error. Afterast year it is easy to see the negative on errors than an explanation of what happened. Regardless the E's need to be less this year.

Regarding the decision to bunt in the 6th, in a game we were losing only 1-0 with hitters struggling the options for a runner to score with 1 out from third than 1 out from second is high. Disregarding a base hit a guy can score on a sac fly, groundout, wild pitch/pass ball, suicide or safety squeeze, or a balk when on third instead of second. You want to do everything you can to score the first run and tie the game so statistically it makes sense and we have come to understand that is Coach Pawlowski's philosophy and approach.

Those aren't your options. The options are to score from second with NONE out or third with one out. The percentages are all for hitting away, not wasting an out getting the guy to third.

We obviously have field, plate, mound and base issues to work on. Rather do so after a W than a L.

Thanks for the explanation on yaks error. Afterast year it is easy to see the negative on errors than an explanation of what happened. Regardless the E's need to be less this year.

Yak gets to balls most shortstops can't get to. He had 3 errors on the weekend and 2 of them were because he got in front or stopped balls that most shortstops reach out and barely catch with no prayer of a play or miss alltogether. The 3rd error was charged to him but caused by a true frosh playing in left field for the first time in his baseball career didn't handle the play correctly. Same thing is going to happen with Tomscha and his rocket arm. I will take those errors for what they bring to the team and for their sticks.

Archived