Baseball coach (merged threads) Put all coach options here

Witicha State fired their coach. We NEED to go after him. He is very much a proven winner. We need to get outside of "Auburn People" or we will stay at the bottom of the barrel. Oregon had no team. They hired Cal St. Fullerton's coach, and were in the NCAA tournament in their second year as a program, and have been in the tournament every year since.

That Wichita State coach is like 200 years old. His SS# is 000-00-0002. His birth certificate is written in hieroglyphics. He was around when Jesus was a boy. He waited tables at the last supper.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Witicha State fired their coach. We NEED to go after him. He is very much a proven winner. We need to get outside of "Auburn People" or we will stay at the bottom of the barrel. Oregon had no team. They hired Cal St. Fullerton's coach, and were in the NCAA tournament in their second year as a program, and have been in the tournament every year since.

That Wichita State coach is like 200 years old. His SS# is 000-00-0002. His birth certificate is written in hieroglyphics. He was around when Jesus was a boy. He waited tables at the last supper.

And right after Golf was born, who's SS# is 000-00-0001

I know him very well....

LOl hmmmm enjoyed reading these posts......hmmm Tim Hudson give 1 million bucks towards upgrades...outstanding, Coach P created the relationship there and helped make this happen......money he couldnt get from Jacobs.....Pat Murphy has had more ncaa infractions and lost his job because of gambling ( good rep for AU) Hire Casey nice guy, good baseball mind, but is very very unproven...Jacob's has made horrible decisions including letting Pawlowski go....its quite apparent based on all the sports at Auburn (all major ones) Please mark this down..or whatever, AU baseball will not make a NCAA appearance for 5-7 years....not until its realized that Jacobs was and will always be the problem...good luck in your search......pitching will began to get worse again......and maybe the team can travel to the local high schools for some indoor batting cages.....mmost of them have them......Maybe Jacobs can allocate more money to the basketball team and their awesome arena...a team on occcasion that managed to score 6 points in a half on a few occasions.....yep good luck Despite the opinions of some, I am a AU fan, just sickened by the direction its going in..and when i see quality men and ladies losing jobs when one very portly idiot makes decisions sicken's me.....have a bad adminsrtation, you cut off the head simple as that.......i will post again in 5 years with a big "I told you so" post sorry if the truth hurts...

Personally, I don't care if he had a pet dinosaur. Witicha St. has had a hell of a baseball team. And even if it was for only a couple of years, he could get us going in the right direction. You know, that place we haven't been since about 1997...

Regardless, we need to look outside of "Auburn Men." We need to make a splash hire, or we will be at the bottom of the barrel for quite some time

Adios to nightranger....gonna miss his encouraging observations and suggestions. Meanwhile, it's nice to start getting a couple rumors that AU is indeed looking more than 150 miles from the university for a new coach.

LOl hmmmm enjoyed reading these posts......hmmm Tim Hudson give 1 million bucks towards upgrades...outstanding, Coach P created the relationship there and helped make this happen......money he couldnt get from Jacobs.....Pat Murphy has had more ncaa infractions and lost his job because of gambling ( good rep for AU) Hire Casey nice guy, good baseball mind, but is very very unproven...Jacob's has made horrible decisions including letting Pawlowski go....its quite apparent based on all the sports at Auburn (all major ones) Please mark this down..or whatever, AU baseball will not make a NCAA appearance for 5-7 years....not until its realized that Jacobs was and will always be the problem...good luck in your search......pitching will began to get worse again......and maybe the team can travel to the local high schools for some indoor batting cages.....mmost of them have them......Maybe Jacobs can allocate more money to the basketball team and their awesome arena...a team on occcasion that managed to score 6 points in a half on a few occasions.....yep good luck Despite the opinions of some, I am a AU fan, just sickened by the direction its going in..and when i see quality men and ladies losing jobs when one very portly idiot makes decisions sicken's me.....have a bad adminsrtation, you cut off the head simple as that.......i will post again in 5 years with a big "I told you so" post sorry if the truth hurts...

You are so butthurt. Was Paw your brother-in-law or something? I'm really intrigued.

Pat Murphy has had more ncaa infractions and lost his job because of gambling ( good rep for AU)

Not common knowledge, you wouldn't have read that anywhere.

Interesting how you have inside information on obscure topics such as that at ASU, and Tyler Dial and his unusual weight gain at Auburn. Anything you need to tell us about the College of Charleston? Clemson?

If Casey Dunn had it locked up, he have been named before now. That's not to say we won't end up hiring Casey, but the decision hasn't been made. I do think we'll be talking to several coaches whose teams are still playing. My best guess is we will hire MSU's associate head coach Butch Thompson.

Regardless, we need to look outside of "Auburn Men." We need to make a splash hire, or we will be at the bottom of the barrel for quite some time

Tennessee tried the Splash Hire approach. Found them a guy that had taken two different teams to the CWS. He's got them right in the bottom of the SEC, so there are no guarantees.

What's wrong with hiring an Auburn man? If we're not producing the kind of person that can be a successful head coach we should shut the place down.

There are proven winning coaches who's not Auburn men. Why does it have to stay within the Auburn Family? We sound a lot like Alabama when they always said their coaches had to have some ties to the Alabama Family. Either played there or was a coach there at some time.

Tennessee tried the Splash Hire approach. Found them a guy that had taken two different teams to the CWS. He's got them right in the bottom of the SEC, so there are no guarantees.

What's wrong with hiring an Auburn man? If we're not producing the kind of person that can be a successful head coach we should shut the place down.

You're paraphrasing Shug's reported comment when he sought the AU job in the early 1950s. The background to that story is that AU had previously hired a guy with a ND background ( Brown) who was a disaster and was looking for a new coach....and especially wanting someone from the Big 10 which was where serious football was played in 1950s. Deliberately eliminating an Auburn grad in 1950 made no more sense than showing un-due favoritism to an AU grad does in 2013. JMO, but AU isn't in the business of developing coaches for its sports programs and not that many college coaches end up at their alma mater anyway. In fact as you bring up the point, considering how long AU has been playing major college sports the school has produced very few coaches at the Div. I level. Athletics is generally a meritocracy...the best are rewarded.... and we should be looking for the best available. The good news to me is that it seems we might be doing that now.

Tennessee hasn't really ever been spectacular at baseball, and their coach is a west coast guy so it's no wonder he doesn't fit in right in the heart of the south. Using UT as an example is a poor choice. Try again.

I have given the coaching situation a lot of time and thought since CJP was fired. At first, I really thought the Casey Dunn was the right choice, and may very well be the one. However, I think Bobby Pierce would be a great hire, and would have Auburn Baseball back to where making the NCAA tourney and beyond, become the the norm each season. I would have no problem with Coach Pierce. ALso, the coach from Delta State Univ has about the best resume you could ever find for a HC. I hope the decision will be forth coming soon.

It sounds like some on here don't quite get baseball. I would say that the majority of teams in the tourney have a number 1pitcher that could beat any team on a given day. Bryant has a number 1starter that will go in the top 5 rounds of the draft.

It would also appear some on here don't quite get the message board concept. Did you read the entire post? Just beacause Kelich has 30 career wins does not make him a top five round draft pick, dude throws mid-80's. The point was Arkansas is finding it hard to hit their way out of a paper bag, their fielding is atrocious and their pitching alone won't get them a ticket to anywhere but back to Fayetteville.

Love the confidence, hate the back up. Kid hasn't gotten a sniff through ten rounds. Meanwhile Arkansas has three pitchers taken in the first three rounds, and zero position players. Oh, and which super regional are they in? Yep, I'm just not sure about this baseball thing. Sheesh.

Tennessee hasn't really ever been spectacular at baseball, and their coach is a west coast guy so it's no wonder he doesn't fit in right in the heart of the south. Using UT as an example is a poor choice. Try again.

Why try again? We're in the same boat, people are screaming for a splash hire. That's what UT did and look how it worked out. Or, are you saying "Make a splash hire just not somebody from out west and not somebody that will fail once he gets here." Is that what you're saying? 20-20 foresight would be nice...

And I don't recall anybody here saying we had to hire an Auburn man. I'm saying there is no reason to eliminate somebody just because he's got an Auburn connection. David Marsh is an Auburn man. They hired him and he won 10 national championships here. That hire turned out pretty good!

Hire Casey Dunn and be done with it. The guy knows the game better than the majority of us and was the unmistakeable leader in the clubhouse as a player. Even Tim Hudson will tell you that. I miss the days going out to Plainsman Park after class in the spring and watching great baseball. Casey was taught by one of the most successful coaches this state has ever seen,(Sammy Dunn)and is a product of Hal Baird. The man knows how to coach. Hope he gets a chance. Love those catchers!! Smartest guys on the field.

That's laughable, you need to give up. Because the example discredits your opinion, it isn't valid. Sounds like my fifteen year old. How about Pat McMahon, does that fit your spec's?

Aside from Augie Garrido, there are very few "splash" hires outside of the ones already mentioned, and those have been so recent that there isn't sufficient data to make a determination. With an unlimited budget, George Horton has gotten UO to a high ranking but hasn't gotten them to Omaha. One super regional appearance in five seasons. They haven't even won a conference championship.

Google "Baseball America 2012 Coaching Carousel" (you can change the year all you want) and let me know which ones fit your parameters.

http://www.baseballa...12/2613576.html

That's laughable, you need to give up. Because the example discredits your opinion, it isn't valid. Sounds like my fifteen year old. How about Pat McMahon, does that fit your spec's?

Aside from Augie Garrido, there are very few "splash" hires outside of the ones already mentioned, and those have been so recent that there isn't sufficient data to make a determination. With an unlimited budget, George Horton has gotten UO to a high ranking but hasn't gotten them to Omaha. One super regional appearance in five seasons. They haven't even won a conference championship.

Google "Baseball America 2012 Coaching Carousel" (you can change the year all you want) and let me know which ones fit your parameters.

http://www.baseballa...12/2613576.html

I wonder if your fifteen year old is as immature as you are. Aside from personal attacks you seem keen on relying on, there are plenty of positive discussions we could be having. Now, I'll say it again - try again. When was the last time Tennessee had a winning season in baseball? Since 2007, they've had ONE winning season. How many world series have they won? Crickets....Tennessee has had a few pretty good seasons, but they don't consistently win, and they're not a job any coach would like to have. It would be hard for anyone to win there right now. So, that's a poor example. And my definition of a splash hire is someone who has a proven record, not just those that make these overrated amateur-style opinion articles and are big names. Try Jim Schlossnagle at TCU - that's the kind of coach we should be going after.

Good try though.

STILL ENJOYING....BICKERING AND ASSUMPTIONS......BRING HAL BACK.....WONT MEAN CRAP UNTIL JACOBS IS GONE...I KEEP SAYING IT.....ITS TRUE...SORRY SOMETIMES THAT HURTS......TRY GETTING RECRUITS HERE AND ANSWER THEIR QUESTIONS......"HEY COACH, WHY NO INDOOR BATTING CAGES? SICKENING......CHECK OUT COLUMBUS HIGH SCHOOL FACILITIES.......HEY MAYBE U CAN GO HIT THEIR WHEN ITS RAINING....THE REVOLVING DOOR OF COACHES IS MEANINGLESS.....IT WILL CONTINUE UNTIL JACOBS IS GONE.....SURE TIMMY WILL PUT A COOL MILLION INTO THE PROGRAM.THAT IS TRULY AWESOME......BUT IT WONT BY U CHAMPIONSHIPS OR EVEN GET AU OUT OF THE CELLAR.. NOT UNTIL ITS PROVEN THAT EVERYTHING IS UPDATED.......RECRUITS WILL NOT COME UNLESS A GOOD RECRUITER IS BROUGHT IN..U JUST FIRED ONE OF THE BEST RECRUITER WITH TIES ALL OVER THE OOUNTRY.....SO AGAIN WELL PLAYED JACOBS....DOWNWARD SPIRAL CONTINUES.......

STILL ENJOYING....BICKERING AND ASSUMPTIONS......BRING HAL BACK.....WONT MEAN CRAP UNTIL JACOBS IS GONE...I KEEP SAYING IT.....ITS TRUE...SORRY SOMETIMES THAT HURTS......TRY GETTING RECRUITS HERE AND ANSWER THEIR QUESTIONS......"HEY COACH, WHY NO INDOOR BATTING CAGES? SICKENING......CHECK OUT COLUMBUS HIGH SCHOOL FACILITIES.......HEY MAYBE U CAN GO HIT THEIR WHEN ITS RAINING....THE REVOLVING DOOR OF COACHES IS MEANINGLESS.....IT WILL CONTINUE UNTIL JACOBS IS GONE.....SURE TIMMY WILL PUT A COOL MILLION INTO THE PROGRAM.THAT IS TRULY AWESOME......BUT IT WONT BY U CHAMPIONSHIPS OR EVEN GET AU OUT OF THE CELLAR.. NOT UNTIL ITS PROVEN THAT EVERYTHING IS UPDATED.......RECRUITS WILL NOT COME UNLESS A GOOD RECRUITER IS BROUGHT IN..U JUST FIRED ONE OF THE BEST RECRUITER WITH TIES ALL OVER THE OOUNTRY.....SO AGAIN WELL PLAYED JACOBS....DOWNWARD SPIRAL CONTINUES.......

Stop embarrassing yourself and just leave like you've promised you were going to like 100 times. Most people want JJ gone, it's about as far from an original idea as you can get. JP had his shot, and unless JJ was paying the players to play like crap, most of it is on his own shoulders.

Thought "night" was gone....just can't trust some people. I'm not on the dump JJ bandwagon but there has been more than enough discussion on that point and I think we know where everyone stands now. Meanwhile, JP's gone so no point in griping about him....and we don't even have a few reliable rumors to discuss. Guess it's time to just take it easy and watch the CWS and see how the SEC teams perform. IMO the LSU-OK game was one of the greats....but on the other hand, watching South Carolina make 3 crucial errors on routine plays looked all too familiar. I love college baseball. :hearts:

When was the last time Tennessee had a winning season in baseball?

Tennessee has made two CWS appearances since Auburn last went to Omaha.

I would love to have Schlossnagle, Corbin, McDonnell, O'Connor or the likes, I just don't believe Jay Jacobs has it in him. What gives you any confidence that he will shoot for the moon? Previous history would dictate that we will likely get one of the in state head coaches or a quality up and coming assistant from somewhere in the southeast (SEC). Auburn has never made a "splash" hire, it's just not our style and I don't believe it's going to start now. And I will support the hell out of whoever it is, and suggest you be ready to do the same.

Yeah, you're the one that also told us Thompson would never come to AUburn since pawlowski was fired. Unless you're some family member or something, why are you so butt hurt? AUburn never won big under him. At least Chizik had a NC to fall back on. Pawlowski didn't even have a divisional title.

Archived