Baseball coach (merged threads) Put all coach options here

Jay Jacobs has NEVER had it in him to hire top coaches who's a proven winner every year. Chizik had 1 great year out of 4 and Barbee has done nothing since he was hired. As for Pawlowski, he just didn't have it.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Face it, Jay Jacobs is flat out clueless when it comes to hiring coaches who knows how to recruit and win every year. The only thing JJ knows how to do is to sign these coaches to new contracts worth 8, 9 or 10 million $. Go back and look and the buyouts for Tuberville and Chizik. Someone told me that Barbee has a big buyout.

Face it, Jay Jacobs is flat out clueless when it comes to hiring coaches who knows how to recruit and win every year.

We get it a4e. You say the same thing in 3 of every 4 posts. We know JJ is an issue. No need to go fishing to remind us sll the time.

Has there been any time-line set for hiring the new BB coach? I assume JJ is waiting until after the CWS is completed before hiring a coach. This could be a good thing. Has there been a list of potential coaches released recently? These are the questions that need to be answered soon. I know hiring a BB coach is nowhere as dramatic as hiring a new football coach. However, I think JJ is sitting on the hot-seat, and must be very careful to make sure he hires a coach that can turn our BB program around quickly and keep it at a level that has us competing for an SEC title, and has us in the NCAA tourney year in and out.

Has there been any time-line set for hiring the new BB coach? I assume JJ is waiting until after the CWS is completed before hiring a coach. This could be a good thing. Has there been a list of potential coaches released recently? These are the questions that need to be answered soon. I know hiring a BB coach is nowhere as dramatic as hiring a new football coach. However, I think JJ is sitting on the hot-seat, and must be very careful to make sure he hires a coach that can turn our BB program around quickly and keep it at a level that has us competing for an SEC title, and has us in the NCAA tourney year in and out.

The problem with that idea is there are no guarantees. There is absolutely no way to "make sure" the guy that's hired will be a success. There's no such thing as 20-20 foresight.

Why would the athletic department list potential candidates for public consumption? The only person who can legitimately answer that question accurately would be JJ and he needs to be as quiet as possible. Otherwise we are all just speculating.

I am not saying that the Ath Dept should come out with a list of names from whom a new coach would be selected. I was wondering if articles like the one recently that I think was Al.com, might have an updated list of possible candidates. There has been absolutely nothing reported concerning a list of potential coaches that I can find. I guess there is nothing to report currently, and will not be anything until after the CWS has been played. This seems to be what is going on. If you look at it from this angle, we will be hiring a coach that is either an assistant or a HC from one of the teams in the CWS. I know there is no crystal ball to determine who will win big at AU. All we can ask is for JJ to hire a coach that has a solid record of success over a longer period of time, and no "one hit wonders". I think JJ is under the microscope, and will make certain that he has hired a coach that he feels can win at Auburn.

With the exception of the coach who is lobbying for the AU job I doubt any current coach wants to see his name on a list with any link to AU That would not do him any good at his current school, especially if the school is still in the CWS....or even if it's just speculation. IMO, best to keep this stuff quiet until we are ready to name the next coach.....though by continuing to delay the announcement, JJ leads people like me to figure that at least one candidate will be in Omaha next week. Meanwhile, JP had a good record of success before coming to AU....so as the mutual funds sellers tell us...past performance is no guarantee of future success.

...an updated list of possible candidates. There has been absolutely nothing reported concerning a list of potential coaches that I can find.

I get ya' doc. The most recent (this week) names thrown out for speculation are Gollaway (OU) and Avent (NCSU). No matter what your profession, I would think it would be nice to have people saying they like how you do your work. If I were one of those coaches, I would want my name mentioned with every new opening that came up. I'm betting that Jacobs is waiting until after the CWS to name a replacement not because it will be a guy who is still coaching games (the only possible exception being Thompson), but because he believes the spotlight will shift to football and the underwhelming magnitude of the hire will be less likely to cause an uproar. Just a hunch, hope I'm wrong.

http://www.al.com/sp...aseball_co.html

Any more awful hires and JJ might find himself on the outside and trying to see what's going on the inside.

Not sure why it was removed earlier, it's out there (on free content). Liberty coach Jim Toman is the latest name bubbling up. He is a Ray Tanner disciple, which is a plus in my opinion.

Not sure why it was removed earlier, it's out there (on free content). Liberty coach Jim Toman is the latest name bubbling up. He is a Ray Tanner disciple, which is a plus in my opinion.

Not sure either. The article that was pasted was not premium. It was a free read.

This latest list that came out, has several solid choices that look like they have the moxy to turn our baseball fortunes around in a big way soon....hopefully.

1. I really like Coach Galloway from OK. His WL record is very good in a conference that often has teams in the Super Reg., CWS.

2. Avent from NCS. Living in NC, and keeping up with how the state teams fair in sports, he is very well respected for having good teams year in and out.

3. Toman would be a great choice as well. The only drawback for him is that he does not have any big school HC experience.

I was initially fine with Coach Dunn, and the other assistants and HCs from various teams, and many of those coaches will make great HCs at a big school one day. It is just that we need a coach who has success as a HC for more than a few years. I mean success with making the NCAAs just about each season with trips to the Super Reg. ans CWS. I would choose a coach from these 3 HCs. I do like the Troy coach and the South Ala coach as well. Overall, we have some great choices, and I hope JJ gets it right in that I really think he is on borrowed time, and clock is ticking as we speak.

Either would be fine with me but I don't expect either of them to get the job...still thinking Thompson.

MSU's Butch Thompson is my guess, but there's a large field of candidates and anything can happen.

NC State knows their guy is all of a sudden a hot property....they are showing him a lot of love now and going to make it hard for anyone to take him away. JMO but he will probably come back from Omaha with a much better contract than before they won their super-regional. He would be a good catch but I think our odds went down after last weekend.

NC State HC.

He'd be a good catch. Now, can you give me a reason why he'd leave where he is to come try to fix Auburn's program? Yes, his wife is said to be an AU grad. That's a rather slight reason to leave an established, successful program and accept a job swimming upstream at Auburn.

NC State HC.

He'd be a good catch. Now, can you give me a reason why he'd leave where he is to come try to fix Auburn's program? Yes, his wife is said to be an AU grad. That's a rather slight reason to leave an established, successful program and accept a job swimming upstream at Auburn.

To be fair he may like the challenge. NC State was swimming up stream when he took over there.

NC State could be classified as "established and successful" but just barely....W-L record is pretty good and has made it to regionals a number of times but usually their season has ended there. I don't know if there is any downside for him to come here except inertia....doing well at State, will be rewarded for a good season, etc. On the other hand, I see that he currently earns less than $150K and is working for a new AD. Who knows what's possible.

Archived