Baseball coach (merged threads) Put all coach options here

We HAVE to stop losing the mentality that nice guys are who we should be hiring.

Yeah, I follow you.

ATT-Commercial.jpg

You're pretty pathetic. Your reasoning is flawed when it comes to this baseball search and you have no idea what you're talking about.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't know why we aren't talking more about Pat Murphy as our top and possibly only real candidate.

Pat Murphy is a loose cannon with an ego that could not survive in Auburn, AL. Especially if Jay Jacobs is making the decision on Pawlowski's replacement. Just because he didn't knowingly break NCAA rules, doesn't mean his program was not in violation. He hasn't gotten so much as a sniff from another college program in almost four years since he parted ways with ASU. Seems like there was a certain motorcycle riding football coach from Arkansas that some also referred to as a no brainer.

I don't understand how you can put Pat Murphy and Bobby Petrino cheating on his wife with a football employee he hired in the same context, doesn't really make any sense. In order for the NCAA to clear Murphy of the rule infractions that would have to mean that his program was not in violation. Being the HEAD BASEBALL COACH everything that happens under his watch WOULD be his responsibility and if the program was in violation he couldn't of been cleared.....What I think we all want is for the program to get back to where it was when Coach Baird was here and if you know of a REAL candidate that you really think could do a better job of doing that other than Pat Murphy post his name.

Some people, I am convinced, would hire their Sunday school teacher in a heartbeat over a more proven coach just because they have "character and integrity".

But we won our church league!.... ;D

About getting tired of stuff, I'm tired of the mentality of some Auburn people thinking we have to hire some outlaw in order to succeed. Our school has enough to offer that we can hire coaches with a good reputation and also a good chance to succeed. We don't have to go to the bottom of the barrel and hire a hoodlum.

While Murphy himself was cleared of wrongdoing his baseball program was put on probation, barred from the NCAA tournament and the school, Arizona State, was found guilty of "Lack of Institutional Control". So I guess he didn't know those boosters were paying baseball recruits?

Note: The above info came from Wikipedia. It's easy enough to google it if anyone wants to read more.

Well i don't follow baseball on a nationwide scale so have no idea who Pat Murphy is. Google is my friend. He is certainly a heckuva coach.

Murphy guided the Irish to a 318-116-1 (.732) record in South Bend, including consecutive trips to NCAA regional finals in 1992, 1993 and 1994.

At Arizona State Murphy won the Pac-10 championship in 2000 and consecutive Pac-10 championships in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Twice in that same decade, Murphy had teams finish in the Top 3 in the country; a feat matched by only ten other schools.

In February 2010, Murphy was hired by the San Diego Padres as Special Assistant to Baseball Operations.[5] Murphy skippered the Padres' Northwest League affiliate, the Eugene Emeralds, as their manager for the 2011 and 2012 seasons, dominating competition on the way to consecutive league-best overall season records. [6] While in Eugene, Coach Murphy compiled an impressive 93-47 record (.664 pct).

The NCAA investigation doesn't bother me. He wasn't found guilty of wrong doing by the NCAA.

You're pretty pathetic. Your reasoning is flawed when it comes to this baseball search and you have no idea what you're talking about.

You can't put a clear thought together and I'm the one that's pathetic. Because I won't settle for "or" my reasoning is flawed. You come over to this board when somebody gets fired and thump your chest like you know all the answers. I may not know what I'm talking about, but I know enough to understand that Pat Murphy will not be the next baseball coach at Auburn. Baseball is not important enough to our current AD to make a hire that would be only slightly less offensive than waving a middle finger in the face of the NCAA. Absolutely no idea.

Well i don't follow baseball on a nationwide scale so have no idea who Pat Murphy is. Google is my friend. He is certainly a heckuva coach.

Murphy guided the Irish to a 318-116-1 (.732) record in South Bend, including consecutive trips to NCAA regional finals in 1992, 1993 and 1994.

At Arizona State Murphy won the Pac-10 championship in 2000 and consecutive Pac-10 championships in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Twice in that same decade, Murphy had teams finish in the Top 3 in the country; a feat matched by only ten other schools.

In February 2010, Murphy was hired by the San Diego Padres as Special Assistant to Baseball Operations.[5] Murphy skippered the Padres' Northwest League affiliate, the Eugene Emeralds, as their manager for the 2011 and 2012 seasons, dominating competition on the way to consecutive league-best overall season records. [6] While in Eugene, Coach Murphy compiled an impressive 93-47 record (.664 pct).

The NCAA investigation doesn't bother me. He wasn't found guilty of wrong doing by the NCAA.

I read that also. Very very impressive resume. I don't care who we hire, as long as he is a winner. That guy drips of winning.

If you read that much, you must have also seen the lines about him "thumbing his nose at the NCAA investigators" and the fact that his team was put on probation and barred from the NCAA tournament for things that happened while he was the head coach. He's got baggage we, and apparently no other college feels like they want.

Would any of you who claim that a coach with "baggage" is not what we need have hired Pat Dye if you knew that he would be able to win, but also come with "baggage" at the end of his career???? What about the "baggage" and controversy over the 2010 season? Was that not worth it? Look, every coach that amounts to something is going to come with baggage. You're under the microscope more when you're successful. Murphy didn't kill anyone, he simply had some improprieties that occurred under his watch. He wasn't even involved, because the NCAA directly cleared him. Murphy, everywhere he has gone, has won and won big. I'm willing to deal with some "baggage" if that's what it takes to get AU baseball out of this pitiful slump.

If you read that much, you must have also seen the lines about him "thumbing his nose at the NCAA investigators" and the fact that his team was put on probation and barred from the NCAA tournament for things that happened while he was the head coach. He's got baggage we, and apparently no other college feels like they want.

So you don't believe the NCAA when they cleared him of wrong doing? If you don't then i suppose you don't believe the NCAA when they state they found nothing on Auburn during the Cam Newton investigation.

So you don't believe the NCAA when they cleared him of wrong doing? If you don't then i suppose you don't believe the NCAA when they state they found nothing on Auburn during the Cam Newton investigation.

Murphy was cleared of direct knowledge of the violations. Arizona State took the (correct) position that he should have, after all it happened in his program and under his watch. Murphy all but dared ASU to fire him and he got what he was looking for. The ASU and Auburn issues are totally different in that the Cam Newton "violation" was a Misssissippi State problem. For you to insinuate otherwise proves your ignorance on multiple levels. Murphy's baseball program was hit harder than any other in recent memory by the NCAA. Pretty sure that doesn't equate to clearance of wrong doing.

"Arizona State’s baseball team will vacate all its wins from 2007 and is banned from the postseason in 2011 under NCAA sanctions for numerous violations.

The NCAA ruled former head coach Pat Murphy and several former assistants made more than 500 impermissible recruiting calls and failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance from 2004-08. Among the penalties, some self-imposed by the university, are scholarship reductions, recruiting restrictions and limitations on coaching activity during practice. Arizona State, which was placed on three years probation, also had to vacate 44 wins from 2007, including its Pac-10 title and College World Series games. Murphy, who was fired last year, was hit with a one-year show-cause penalty." http://www.ncaa.com/...postseason-play

Show cause is the coaching equivalent of leprosy, and cannot be construed as clearance of wrong doing.

But hey, he didn't kill anybody so it's all good.

I'm naive i guess or not as cynical as some. I choose to believe the NCAA found nothing on Auburn in the Newton case because they cleared Auburn. I choose to believe the NCAA on Murphy.If the NCAA sez he was clean then he was clean. I tend to anger when others say Auburn was cheating despite what the NCAA stated about the investigation. So I can't not believe the NCAA when they say the same of Murphy. I believe it is bamresque to do otherwise.

But on the other hand It won't matter a twit to me if Auburn hired him or not.

I am Sick of it all.

I believe it is bamresque to do otherwise.

Good Lord, what have we come to? You believe what you want to believe in spite of the facts. A show cause penalty CAN NOT be misunderstood. The NCAA, by that, is saying in no uncertain terms that he was unfit to coach at the college level.

"Any school wishing to hire a coach under a "show cause" designation must appear before the NCAA infractions committee and potentially face new sanctions. No Division I athletic director has ever taken that step. As such, "show cause" usually amounts to a total ban from working at the college level for the duration of the penalty."

I don't know what all happened behind closed doors during the Chizik era, and I don't pretend to know. However, where there's smoke there's fire. To what extent there was fire, I don't know that either. But anyone who believes the controversy we suffered during that era was a result of a biased, witch hunting media vendetta is a little bit delusional. I hope they never find anything on us, but something just seems off here after all the repeated stories and accusations. Flame away.

I believe it is bamresque to do otherwise.

Good Lord, what have we come to? You believe what you want to believe in spite of the facts. A show cause penalty CAN NOT be misunderstood. The NCAA, by that, is saying in no uncertain terms that he was unfit to coach at the college level.

"Any school wishing to hire a coach under a "show cause" designation must appear before the NCAA infractions committee and potentially face new sanctions. No Division I athletic director has ever taken that step. As such, "show cause" usually amounts to a total ban from working at the college level for the duration of the penalty."

My fault.

I didn't read your entire post. I didn't read through the paragraph in red. I understand the significance of 'show cause'.

I hereby rescind all statements made in reference to this matter and will try to bow out as gracefully as possible.

I don't know what all happened behind closed doors during the Chizik era, and I don't pretend to know. However, where there's smoke there's fire. To what extent there was fire, I don't know that either. But anyone who believes the controversy we suffered during that era was a result of a biased, witch hunting media vendetta is a little bit delusional. I hope they never find anything on us, but something just seems off here after all the repeated stories and accusations. Flame away.

You have to love it when people admit they know nothing then take guesses at what happened, especially when it is part of derailing a thread on a different subject. The icing on the cake is when you're slighting the team you say you pull for with assumptions.

If you're so certain something happened perhaps the FBI should have hired you for good luck, because to say those guys are pretty good is an understatement, and they found absolutely nothing against AU.

Had there been any wrongdoing on Auburn or Cam Newton's part, the NCAA's 15 month investigation would have found it. They wanted to find something but at the end their chief investigator's statement was "There's nothing there". It doesn't get any more clear than that.

There was a lot of smoke and it turned out that it was entirely due to a bunch of writers blowing smoke. The only thing of substance was MSU's Kenny Rogers trying to talk money with Cecil. Rogers was forced to disassociate from MSU. Nobody at Auburn was found to have done anything wrong. If you have some sort of complex that makes you feel better to believe the "smoke there's fire" falsehood, you should seek professional help.

Had there been any wrongdoing on Auburn or Cam Newton's part, the NCAA's 15 month investigation would have found it. They wanted to find something but at the end their chief investigator's statement was "There's nothing there". It doesn't get any more clear than that.

There was a lot of smoke and it turned out that it was entirely due to a bunch of writers blowing smoke. The only thing of substance was MSU's Kenny Rogers trying to talk money with Cecil. Rogers was forced to disassociate from MSU. Nobody at Auburn was found to have done anything wrong. If you have some sort of complex that makes you feel better to believe the "smoke there's fire" falsehood, you should seek professional help.

Or perhaps a turd board where his troll quality posting would fit right in.

I love Auburn with all my heart, but to believe that there was nothing at all going on behind the scenes is delusional, irrational and simply naive! There have been plenty of warning signs over the past few years! To say that the media just doesn't like us is foolish and doesn't make sense. It's good to be a supportive fan, but one that believes his team can do no wrong is a foolish fan. I'm just being realistic here. Call me a "troll" or whatever you wish.

I love Auburn with all my heart, but to believe that there was nothing at all going on behind the scenes is delusional, irrational and simply naive! There have been plenty of warning signs over the past few years! To say that the media just doesn't like us is foolish and doesn't make sense. It's good to be a supportive fan, but one that believes his team can do no wrong is a foolish fan. I'm just being realistic here. Call me a "troll" or whatever you wish.

My best advice to you would be to open your eyes, look at the evidence and accept reality. I don't believe my team can do no wrong, but I do believe the evidence. That evidence is that my team did no wrong.

After 15 months of extensive investigation the NCAA took the unprecedented step of sending Auburn a letter clearing us of all wrongdoing. To think that there was wrongdoing in spite of all that is to enter into tinfoil hat conspiracy territory. When the chief investigator says, and I'm quoting: "There is nothing there." it's time to accept that there was nothing there.

Archived