Baseball coach (merged threads) Put all coach options here

I love Auburn with all my heart, but to believe that there was nothing at all going on behind the scenes is delusional, irrational and simply naive!

based on what? You already say you have no idea what was going on behind the scenes, yet here you are condemning the program based on nothing but a hunch.

There have been plenty of warning signs over the past few years! To say that the media just doesn't like us is foolish and doesn't make sense.

What warning signs? The ONLY thing you have to even remotely support this ridiculous notion of "warning signs" is the lack of discipline that we had in the program that has surfaced after Chizik was removed. That's all. None of the myriad of stories that have come out over the last 3-4 years had any truth to them at all, yet here you are ASSUMING something.

It's good to be a supportive fan, but one that believes his team can do no wrong is a foolish fan. I'm just being realistic here. Call me a "troll" or whatever you wish.

Not one person here has said Auburn can do no wrong. What we have said is the stuff that has come out since 2010 have yielded absolutely NOTHING and even the NCAA has said we are CLEAN. Much like fans of other schools that assume we are guilty, it really doesn't matter what you think. The NCAA says we are CLEAN and even issued a public statement saying such, which they NEVER do.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the task at hand. How long do you think it will be before we announce a new head coach for BASEBALL? ;)

Pat Murphy obviously is a good coach and even though his Show Cause order I believe has expired; I doubt any school touches him for awhile. Doing so would immediately put said school on the NCAA`s radar probably. We just don`t need that again for what someone else did somewhere else.

Back to the task at hand. How long do you think it will be before we announce a new head coach for BASEBALL? ;)/>

It seems to md that we may be waiting for the CWS to end before anything happens.

Back to the task at hand. How long do you think it will be before we announce a new head coach for BASEBALL? ;)/>

It seems to md that we may be waiting for the CWS to end before anything happens.

That's the trending thought.

That's the trending thought.

And that would make me think that perhaps the leading candidate is still involved in the CWS since there would be no real reason to delay announcing any of the in-state coaches that have been discussed. If that assumption is correct, who would be the leading candidate(s)?

And that would make me think that perhaps the leading candidate is still involved in the CWS since there would be no real reason to delay announcing any of the in-state coaches that have been discussed. If that assumption is correct, who would be the leading candidate(s)?

Vandy? (please, please, please)

We need to hire a proven winner who can also recruit the high shool and juco players that's out there. JP did neither.

Forget that guy. There is not one reason why he'd leave Vandy to come here. He turned us down five years ago so he certainly won't come here now. He's got it workin' where he is and Vandy has more money for a coach than we have. If it came to a bidding war they'd leave us in the dust.

I do think JJ wants to talk to some guys that are still coaching so he'll talk to nobody until the last one is eliminated. In fact, the CWS is a great place to get face-to-face with coaches without having to jump through hoops and buy airplane tickets.

Forget that guy. There is not one reason why he'd leave Vandy to come here. He turned us down five years ago so he certainly won't come here now. He's got it workin' where he is and Vandy has more money for a coach than we have. If it came to a bidding war they'd leave us in the dust.

I do think JJ wants to talk to some guys that are still coaching so he'll talk to nobody until the last one is eliminated. In fact, the CWS is a great place to get face-to-face with coaches without having to jump through hoops and buy airplane tickets.

JMO but I think when MSU is out of the tourney, we will see an announcement. :dunno:

The thing is....we hear that with every hire we have. Football coach....somebody who is in the NFL play-offs, possibly the Super Bowl. Basketball....some NBA guy. Baseball.....World Series winner, we are just waiting for him to decide if he wants to come back to the college ranks. JJ just has a hard time making up his mind what with breakfast, lunch, supper, and his afternoon nap.

Count me as one of those that hope we don't go after another lower-level coach. I would prefer a coach that has accomplished something at the top level of college baseball, even if it was in a conference not known for baseball. If we can't get a big name, then give me somebody like Coach Pierce from Troy, Coach Calvi from USA, or any coach that has been successful from a smaller D-1 school, such as Coastal Carolina. Those types of coaches that have been successful at smaller D-1 schools would probably love to jump to a bigger D-1 school in a conference known for baseball.

You know, J. Jacobs makes David Housel look like the AD of the century in the SEC, as more and more time passes! I often think where we would be now, if the Assistant AD at Lsu at the time we were looking for an AD after Housel left the plains, had been hired. I think that the AD we were considering, is now the AD at Georgia Tech. Anyhow, I hope JJ hits the jackpot with the hire of our new baseball coach.

JMO but I think when MSU is out of the tourney, we will see an announcement. :dunno:/>

That's where my money is, although the announcement may not be made until after the CWS is over, just for appearances sake.

So as not to be cryptic, AU64 and I are thinking that MSU associate head coach Butch Thompson stands a good chance of being our next head coach.

He's got a lot going for him and he's already got an Auburn background so his hiring will give a lot of message board people a chance to gripe about hiring someone with AU connections. The guy has all the credentials to be a great head coach and never underestimate the importance of giving the message board folks something to whine about.

What's not to like about the hire?

http://www.hailstate...0&Q_SEASON=2012\

'Following the 2005 campaign he continued his SEC affiliation at Auburn, serving as pitching coach and recruiting coordinator on the staff of Tom Slater. Each of his three recruiting classes at Auburn was ranked among the nation's top 18, including a No. 5 national ranking in 2007.'

LOL. Not saying anything since my Pat Murphy posts. Just posting information.

Like it or not it will be Casey Dunn if the influential Auburn fans have their way.

Like it or not it will be Casey Dunn if the influential Auburn fans have their way.

Guess it's possible but we could have announced him two weeks ago if that were the case. I'm hoping influential fans actually have no influence since many of them have limited knowledge of our options. The first three or four hot candidates were all from smaller colleges in the state...as if there was no other candidates out there. Interesting too, some of these advocates are the same ones always on JJ's case.... which makes me wonder if JJ is more like the typical AU supporter than we want to admit.

I do hope whomever we hire has the right connections to bring in a great staff. That is my bigger concern.

Guess it's possible but we could have announced him two weeks ago if that were the case. I'm hoping influential fans actually have no influence since many of them have limited knowledge of our options. The first three or four hot candidates were all from smaller colleges in the state...as if there was no other candidates out there. Interesting too, some of these advocates are the same ones always on JJ's case.... which makes me wonder if JJ is more like the typical AU supporter than we want to admit.

Interviws were not and are not scheduled to begin until late this week or early next week regardless if the candidates are inb state or out of state.

Count me as one of those that hope we don't go after another lower-level coach. I would prefer a coach that has accomplished something at the top level of college baseball, even if it was in a conference not known for baseball. If we can't get a big name, then give me somebody like Coach Pierce from Troy, Coach Calvi from USA, or any coach that has been successful from a smaller D-1 school, such as Coastal Carolina. Those types of coaches that have been successful at smaller D-1 schools would probably love to jump to a bigger D-1 school in a conference known for baseball.

When was the last time Auburn went for a lower-level coach? The smaller D-1 successful candidate that you outline, that was JP 5 years ago.

That's good to know....and that scheduling could indicate that one or more candidates was not available sooner. Prior to the interviews however, someone representing AU almost certainly has been in touch with the preferred candidates and at least confirmed the candidate(s) is open to talking about the job. I don't know about athletics....but in business, you don't usually take the time to interview someone unless you consider them a true prospect. Somewhere between the time JP got his pink slip, and now, there has been an elimination process going on to identify the real candidates....the ones we want and the ones willing to take the job if the conditions are right. It's also possible that one or two candidates will be given a courtesy interview. I'm still betting on Thompson.

Witicha State fired their coach. We NEED to go after him. He is very much a proven winner. We need to get outside of "Auburn People" or we will stay at the bottom of the barrel. Oregon had no team. They hired Cal St. Fullerton's coach, and were in the NCAA tournament in their second year as a program, and have been in the tournament every year since.

Archived