Xander Helton- 1B/P

This guy is a long time friend and a heck of a baseball player. He is Todd Helton's cousin (1B for the Rockies). He signed with Memphis out of HS, but wanted to do more than pitch, so transferred to Pensacola State. He's going to be a heck of a player. Anybody know if we're looking at him at all?

NJCAA stats last year: http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/bsb/2012-13/div1/players/xanderheltonrlx6

Those stats at a JUCO would not be considered indicative of a move up to the SEC. He had a .283 batting average with only 60 at bats. It looks like he wasn't even a regular starter on that team. Unless there is more to it, his JUCO performance doesn't show SEC talent.

He will be playing at the JUCO again and will only be a Sophomore. Hopefully he can put up some more numbers this season.

FWIW The team across the state is going to watch him pitch before the end of the summer, and while I'd be happy to see him get an SEC offer, I'd much rather him in O&B.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

Just talked to Xander. He said that the number one reason he did not put up as good of numbers as he'd like was injuries. He stress fractured his back and had minor knee injury, but is recovering well. He also threw 94 mph this past weekend with 2 saves and a ++(plus plus) breaking ball.

He also said that he is now 6'4" 215lbs. I hope Coach Galloway takes a serious look at him, he's a great competitor and a hard worker. WDE.

Bump.

Just talked to Xander. He said that the number one reason he did not put up as good of numbers as he'd like was injuries. He stress fractured his back and had minor knee injury, but is recovering well. He also threw 94 mph this past weekend with 2 saves and a ++(plus plus) breaking ball.

He also said that he is now 6'4" 215lbs. I hope Coach Galloway takes a serious look at him, he's a great competitor and a hard worker. WDE.

That's one reason you can't go on stat's alone. Nagging injuries, while being able to play, can really skew numbers.

Saw Xander play this weekend with the Alabama Outlaws in Nashville against the US Army Allstar Team he was a DH and then came into pitch in the bottom of the last inning with bases loaded with 1 out and Outlaws up 3-2. Good looking kid with a very live arm 92-94 with a 12/6 hammer 77/78 mph. Struck both batters out to perserve the win. Spoke with Jody the coach of the Outlaws trying to get some info on Xander and said he had been trying to get him to play with them for the last few years but it never happend and said he was everything he had heard about him but did not know he had that kind of curve ball and that kind of run on his fastball. He also showed power and bat speed from the left side of the plate. Jody said he is suppose to be in Birmingham this weekend in a tournament with the Outlaws. Also found out he played summer ball with current AU player Rock Rucker with the Bayside Yankees. So I went and looked at his stats with Bayside Yankees and High school before the injury .....pretty impressive.

Saw Xander play this weekend with the Alabama Outlaws in Nashville against the US Army Allstar Team he was a DH and then came into pitch in the bottom of the last inning with bases loaded with 1 out and Outlaws up 3-2. Good looking kid with a very live arm 92-94 with a 12/6 hammer 77/78 mph. Struck both batters out to perserve the win. Spoke with Jody the coach of the Outlaws trying to get some info on Xander and said he had been trying to get him to play with them for the last few years but it never happend and said he was everything he had heard about him but did not know he had that kind of curve ball and that kind of run on his fastball. He also showed power and bat speed from the left side of the plate. Jody said he is suppose to be in Birmingham this weekend in a tournament with the Outlaws. Also found out he played summer ball with current AU player Rock Rucker with the Bayside Yankees. So I went and looked at his stats with Bayside Yankees and High school before the injury .....pretty impressive.

He is definitely working hard, I can tell you that. His coach really wants him to go to Bama, but I don't think that he is so sure. He and I have been talking more often and I've really been explaining a lot about the school in general, the atmosphere, the football games, the dorms, and anything else I could. He is very interested IMO.

• 1 month later...

An update on Xander: He has torn his ACL and his lateral meniscus. He has had surgery and is currently undergoing rehab, but will be redshirting this year. He has also transferred to Tennessee Wesleyan.

Archived