Let's Not Get Ahead of Ourselves

mom2kid

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with fans. We can look to any game we want. It has no affect on anything. We can beat arkansas, tennessee, georgia and uat. Nothing we say here is going to affect the team or their preparation. it's ludicrous to think otherwise.

Exactly!!!! I started a thread after the A&M game to reevaluate preseason predictions on records and to pose the question of how many games left are we capable of winning. The "one game at a time" mantra about drove me nuts! Nothing against the OP, I just feel taking one game at a time is extremely important for our coaches and players. For fans, not so much.

We could break it down even smaller. After Sunday, the players and coaches must put all of their attention and energy into the next practice. How dare us fans skip the whole week of practice to focus on the next game???

I think the buzz that is being created by the fanbase is perfectly healthy for Auburn. The wave will keep getting bigger with every win. It's the coaches job to keep the players focused and riding on top of the wave.

"THE NEXT GAME IS THE MOST IMPORTANT YOU WILL EVER PLAY." Every great coach since time began.

WE GIVE 110% ON THE NEXT PLAY. Do that from now till January, we will exceed all expectations.

Mom2kid, agree with your sentiments on this..

But after last season many of us I am sure were physically sick. This season so far has been such a joy. I can see why as fans we want more and the excitement of looking ahead is just added pleasure.

One of the advantages of being a fan is the ability to look ahead.

Absolutely. I think the GREATEST advantage of being a fan is that we can drink beer and eat nachos during the game too. Gus ain't yelled at me ONCE for losing focus either!

But can you chew gum like he does?

All day! :/

Mom2kid, agree with your sentiments on this..

But after last season many of us I am sure were physically sick. This season so far has been such a joy. I can see why as fans we want more and the excitement of looking ahead is just added pleasure.

While I understand the OP's intent I think the fans expectations are critical to the teams performance. If you don't believe me, look back at last year's performance. As soon as the team saw the empty seats what happened. Ask anyone of them, they were affected. While they were out coached by any of the other teams, their performance was affected. Could they have pulled off a couple of upsets, not sure. Could they have kept a couple of the games closer, I point to the LSU game. Either way, I for one expect the best from our team everyday and continue to expect them to win them all. If they fail, they will still have my support and I'll be pulling for them until the final second ticks off the clock. WDE!!

I will never tell anyone what to do or how to cheer or how excited they get, but I will say this... For me, I think that it is a WHOLE lotta fun feeling an inflated sense of excitement with the hope and expectations that come with a team that's blowing away all pre-season naysayers. While admittedly I am more the "quiet-intensity" type of fan while watching a game or looking toward the next game and I never assume victory over an SEC opponent until the game is over, I also think this is a whole HECKUVA lot better than feeling that sick feeling in my gut and hearing the despair and gnashing of teeth that comes with a 3-9 season when even Alabama A&M can't necessarily be taken for granted. I totally agree with the OP in terms of "showing your rear" to opposing fans or opposing team message boards, etc. because showing respect and class usually means you never have to eat crow. However, I think that "among friends & family" it's SUCH an awesome feeling to share this optimism!! Misery may love company but success loves a party!!

I think even Ark will be a tough game there. Tenn is developing into a strong team and will be very tough in Knoxville. GA always brings their best game to Auburn. And uat is very good.

That being said I think the fact that this team is still getting better, and hopefully will continue to do so, is something to be enthusiastic about. They don't have to be able to beat Tenn or Ga or AL today. They have to get ready for Ark. They didn't have to be able to beat A&M back in Sept. I doubt they could have then. They had to play them last week, and by then they were ready.

Keep taking games one at a time and getting better every week. Keep everyone healthy. And I think our guys will do just fine. They may not win the rest of them, but I think they'll be in the fight all the way.

OK one more clarification....... I was really just highlighting and supporting what CGM has said. I see a team of players that has come together, believes in themselves and their coaches, and has improved each week. None of us could have expected such a strong turnaround. I think that they have won because of their strong focus and bond; the are winning and playing as a team. AU fans are great. We support our team and are careful not to badmouth players or coaches. We are a classy and loyal bunch. I too think this team could win most of the next games if not all as long as they stay the course. So I just wanted to support Gus and keep the focus on the next game, improving every week, and yes praising our terrific play. The coaches say they want the team to play with class. We are a school and fan base with class. No need to talk smack with UAT fans; let the players smack them on the field.

We are thin and have holes in this team, but we still have many highly rated players left on the roster. They were rated high by several services and I doubt all of them were wrong. They needed leadership on the team and from the staff, SEC caliber strength and conditioning program, more player development and coaches committed to the plan of the head man. These look to be in place. We also need a legit SEC QB and we are building on that now. The thing that bothers me the most is what many of our fans are willing to settle for.

War Eagle !

Folks so far this season is going well and we couldn't be happier with the coaches and the new winning attitude instilled in the players. But CGM has made it clear that we are not there yet. His approach has been to make sure the team keeps their focus on the week and team at hand and not look beyond. he has also stressed continuing to improve each week. So although we as fans are getting excited, I think we need to follow Gus's plan. We know this team has talent but has holes and lacks depth. We have improved with each game and Marshall clearly played his best game against A&M. But now we have to keep the emotions at bay and continue to improve as the SEC schedule heats up. Any team can beat another as we saw last week. Yes I think we will beat Arkansas because they have lots of issues and it means so much to Gus because of his Arkansas history. But UT has played tough and they have new confidence. It will not be an easy game. UGA will have some of their key players back in the lineup and they were preseason favorites to compete against UAT. And for all the bravado about beating UAT, I say let's keep the rhetoric down. We are too classy to start getting into arguments with the rednecks. Let's just say we believe in Gus and this team. They are playing with renewed confidence and as a team. We CAN play against anyone and possibly win but we are not there yet.

1,000% Agree! Several of my Auburn friends have already mapped out how we get to the NC game. I tell them to slow your roll partna! We've gotten to this point by taking things one game at a time and that's what i want our staff and players to continue to do. Keep doing the things that got us to 6-1. Don't overlook ANY team...no matter how bad they've played to this point b/c teams are gunning for us now! Just like the coaches and players will stay focused one game at a time we as fans need to do the same. 1 game at a time! WDE!

Folks so far this season is going well and we couldn't be happier with the coaches and the new winning attitude instilled in the players. But CGM has made it clear that we are not there yet. His approach has been to make sure the team keeps their focus on the week and team at hand and not look beyond. he has also stressed continuing to improve each week. So although we as fans are getting excited, I think we need to follow Gus's plan. We know this team has talent but has holes and lacks depth. We have improved with each game and Marshall clearly played his best game against A&M. But now we have to keep the emotions at bay and continue to improve as the SEC schedule heats up. Any team can beat another as we saw last week. Yes I think we will beat Arkansas because they have lots of issues and it means so much to Gus because of his Arkansas history. But UT has played tough and they have new confidence. It will not be an easy game. UGA will have some of their key players back in the lineup and they were preseason favorites to compete against UAT. And for all the bravado about beating UAT, I say let's keep the rhetoric down. We are too classy to start getting into arguments with the rednecks. Let's just say we believe in Gus and this team. They are playing with renewed confidence and as a team. We CAN play against anyone and possibly win but we are not there yet.

1,000% Agree! Several of my Auburn friends have already mapped out how we get to the NC game. I tell them to slow your roll partna! We've gotten to this point by taking things one game at a time and that's what i want our staff and players to continue to do. Keep doing the things that got us to 6-1. Don't overlook ANY team...no matter how bad they've played to this point b/c teams are gunning for us now!

And that's exactly what THEY will do.

Just like the coaches and players will stay focused one game at a time we as fans need to do the same. 1 game at a time! WDE!

ABSOLUTELY NOT.... We as fans have the luxury of looking as far ahead as we want too without any repercussions. I think its the stupidest thing is the world to say WE as fans need to take them one game at a time when we aren't preparing for anything. We WATCH, that is ALL...

I'm not at all a trash talker and hate trash talk, but speculating what bowl we will go to or how/if we can get in the BCS is what FANS DO. BE A FAN and enjoy the ride and that includes speculating and looking ahead......It's what FANS do....

FYII'm with WarTiger here. That is part of being a fan! We can sit back and picture Lawson, Wright and Ford plastering AJ every day and twice on Sunday. FYI - I think we do a "Brodie" on AJ in a few weeks. Garner will have those boys turnt up!

1,000% Agree! Several of my Auburn friends have already mapped out how we get to the NC game. I tell them to slow your roll partna! We've gotten to this point by taking things one game at a time and that's what i want our staff and players to continue to do. Keep doing the things that got us to 6-1. Don't overlook ANY team...no matter how bad they've played to this point b/c teams are gunning for us now!

And that's exactly what THEY will do.

Just like the coaches and players will stay focused one game at a time we as fans need to do the same. 1 game at a time! WDE!

ABSOLUTELY NOT.... We as fans have the luxury of looking as far ahead as we want too without any repercussions. I think its the stupidest thing is the world to say WE as fans need to take them one game at a time when we aren't preparing for anything. We WATCH, that is ALL...

I'm not at all a trash talker and hate trash talk, but speculating what bowl we will go to or how/if we can get in the BCS is what FANS DO. BE A FAN and enjoy the ride and that includes speculating and looking ahead......It's what FANS do....

That's your choice. I just don't choose to take anyone for granted.

I think fan expectations getting out of control is the point the OP is trying to make. I think most will agree this team has already overachieved, so our expectations should be somewhat tempered. We can still look ahead and dream the dream. That what makes it so fun. We know this team is on thin ice in certain areas. But we have an arsenal of fresh D linemen beginning to take charge and an O Line that has gelled. ANY team would love to have that advantage. With Marshall mastering the zone read, our running game has become devastating. He is the unquestioned leader. As long as he stays healthy, keeps the turnovers down, and continues taking baby steps in the passing game, Auburn has a chance in every game. With Gus and his staff constantly pushing this team, every opponent will get a guaranteed fight to the bitter end. Relentless. Driven. Focused. Unselfish. The Edge is back. That is all anyone could hope for.

I think fan expectations getting out of control is the point the OP is trying to make. I think most will agree this team has already overachieved, so our expectations should be somewhat tempered. We can still look ahead and dream the dream. That what makes it so fun. We know this team is on thin ice in certain areas. But we have an arsenal of fresh D linemen beginning to take charge and an O Line that has gelled. ANY team would love to have that advantage. With Marshall mastering the zone read, our running game has become devastating. He is the unquestioned leader. As long as he stays healthy, keeps the turnovers down, and continues taking baby steps in the passing game, Auburn has a chance in every game. With Gus and his staff constantly pushing this team, every opponent will get a guaranteed fight to the bitter end. Relentless. Driven. Focused. Unselfish. The Edge is back. That is all anyone could hope for.

The problem with that statement is that expectations don't get tempered by success, they increase. Coming into the season, I would have been pleased with 7 or 8 wins, provided we showed improvement and I could see a new attitude and fight in the team. Now that we have "overachieved", I have raised my expectations. I would now be disappointed with anything less than 10 wins and a New Year's Day bowl game. I have dreams of an SEC championship and hoping for enough teams to lose to get us into the NCG. We can hope for another crystal trophy.

Archived