A Very cool play we can run

war3ag13

Take a look at this video.

Check out the third TD on the video. They run the read option, roll out, and throw an easy slant. Do we ever run that play? Not to my knowledge. Seems like a play we should look into running!

I'm sure it's an option to pass out of the read option but why pass when we can just run for 1st downs and TD's. Keep the ball out of the air and in our control. Lots of people are compllaining about the lack of passing this year. Well 1st our run game is monumental. If they can't stop it why should we ever throw it. I much prefer we give zero chance for an apposing defense to intercept the ball. If Gus thinks he can run the ball on every play so be it. No one has been able to stop us yet, and I don't see anyone in the country that could. Our stable of RB's and NM/JJ are the best group of runners in the nation (yes i'm bias and I will clam this until someone can actually stop them, and until someone can stop them I see no reason to throw it.

If we do have to throw the ball, both NM and JJ are more than capable of getting the job done. Everyone complains about the passing game and thinks our QB's need more practice in this department, I say that our recievers need to step up and perform. There have been too many dropped passes from perfectly thrown balls this year. Also they need to learn to lay it out. If they have to reach, dive, or just fall forward to complete a pass do it, stop worying about getting YAC and just catch the ball. the YAC will come in time. I will say this as the season has gone on the passing game has gotten better. It will continue to improve. Anyway the passing game always turns out to be perfect late in the 4th quarter. NM becomes the perfect passer on a game winning drive, our recievers always catch the ball. the passing game is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. It's there when we need it. and it's good enough to win with.

We actually ran this last week, but Marshall threw it to the flat and not the slant.

Ah, cool! Well Hopefully we continue to run it!

I'm sure it's an option to pass out of the read option but why pass when we can just run for 1st downs and TD's. Keep the ball out of the air and in our control. Lots of people are compllaining about the lack of passing this year. Well 1st our run game is monumental. If they can't stop it why should we ever throw it. I much prefer we give zero chance for an apposing defense to intercept the ball. If Gus thinks he can run the ball on every play so be it. No one has been able to stop us yet, and I don't see anyone in the country that could. Our stable of RB's and NM/JJ are the best group of runners in the nation (yes i'm bias and I will clam this until someone can actually stop them, and until someone can stop them I see no reason to throw it.

If we do have to throw the ball, both NM and JJ are more than capable of getting the job done. Everyone complains about the passing game and thinks our QB's need more practice in this department, I say that our recievers need to step up and perform. There have been too many dropped passes from perfectly thrown balls this year. Also they need to learn to lay it out. If they have to reach, dive, or just fall forward to complete a pass do it, stop worying about getting YAC and just catch the ball. the YAC will come in time. I will say this as the season has gone on the passing game has gotten better. It will continue to improve. Anyway the passing game always turns out to be perfect late in the 4th quarter. NM becomes the perfect passer on a game winning drive, our recievers always catch the ball. the passing game is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. It's there when we need it. and it's good enough to win with.

I mostly agree with you, man. I have no qualms with our lack of passing this year. I just know that in some cases we need to be able to pass the ball if we want to beat the good teams left on our schedule. So options like this play that can confuse the defense may be a good thing to be adept in.

Well.... If you do not have to pass, then don't do it. Woody Hayes is credited with the saying "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad."

Well.... If you do not have to pass, then don't do it. Woody Hayes is credited with the saying "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad."

Half of football has been attributed that quote.

AU has run something similar but it turned into a pass and catch by NM all by himself.

This is the play that needs to go in the play books, Nick can bounce it off one of our recievers. He shoud be open for at least 10 yds since as soon as he pitches it the defense will slant to the reciever. I loved it!

Haha that is a good quote... But I've never really understood why the same basic 3 things can't happen when you run it. You can gain yards, lose yards, or fumble it. Haha

I was watching this game and thought the offense formation & general play action looked a lot like AU's. The OC, Mike Norvell, was a graduate assistant while Gus Malzahn was the OC then.

The concern about the passing game is for both QB accuracy and being in sync with WRs (some of what looks like inaccurate passes is WRs running bad routes), and for WR drops.The posts I have made about needing to practice our passing game have been out of concern for our upcoming schedule. We will need to make good defenses respect the pass in order to be able to run. We won't be able to jam it down Bama's throat if they can put 8-9 in the box.

Archived