Best Defense Debate....

BamaBrad

if this is really classic and priceless, please pin it....

125339[/snapback]

brad...do you really want this thread pinned?

i mean, you wanted it brought, several brought it, and now you're whining about cordiality.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

of course that is all that matters....but for someone who doesn't care you sure wasted alot of time with me.....

125348[/snapback]

At least you realize what a waste of time it is to try to converse with you. :poke:

Mostly I enjoyed having fun at your expense.

if this is really classic and priceless, please pin it....

125339[/snapback]

brad...do you really want this thread pinned?

i mean, you wanted it brought, several brought it, and now you're whining about cordiality.

125349[/snapback]

when i said bring it, I was looking for a little more intelligent debate other than "we held you to less points in one game so we are better".....I mean come on....I guess I shouldn't be suprised by the posts I got though.....

of course that is all that matters....but for someone who doesn't care you sure wasted alot of time with me.....

125348[/snapback]

At least you realize what a waste of time it is to try to converse with you. :poke:

Mostly I enjoyed having fun at your expense.

125352[/snapback]

there's more of that 12 year old humor....which one of us is rubber and which one is glue?

when i said bring it, I was looking for a little more intelligent debate other than "we held you to less points in one game so we are better".....I mean come on....I guess I shouldn't be suprised by the posts I got though.....

125356[/snapback]

Ah, Brad, if that is all you've taken from our little exchange, then I truly have wasted my time.

Bama fans get more pathetic every day. They are reaching to claim any moral victory from this game they can. Bama's defense is very good. However, the best defenses shut down the best offenses. It took Al Borges about 20 minutes to figure out the Bama defense, and the game was over. Even down 6-0 heading into halftime, Auburn knew they would win the game because they knew their offense was better than Bama's defense. True, Bama's offense is pathetic, but if you still think you have the best defense in the state, you are sadly mistaken.

I invite any Bama fan who disagrees to SUBSTANTIATE an argument that that would prove me otherwise.

True, Bama's offense is pathetic, but if you still think you have the best defense in the state, you are sadly mistaken.

I invite any Bama fan who disagrees to SUBSTANTIATE an argument that that would prove me otherwise.

man this is fun.

ok, bradley, your turn.

but, TaxMan, you gotta realize that bradley's mantra isn't that Bama's D is better than Auburn's, it's that you can't tell based on Saturday's game, nor the season in total.

those are the rules you must play by if you're going to engage in a dialogue re/ defenses.

ct

Thanks for laying down the rules. I guess you have to base it on who had a bum ankle, who's girlfriend just broke up with him, who got hammered the night before, etc. to really guage potential performance.

Thanks for laying down the rules.  I guess you have to base it on who had a bum ankle, who's girlfriend just broke up with him, who got hammered the night before, etc. to really guage potential performance.

125368[/snapback]

you got it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

where's brad? did he actually leave after his 3rd threat ?

125356[/snapback]

All I know is that Saturday didn't prove crap....

Very cordial..

Let's see, you guys pretty much have two NFL starting tailbacks playing together at the same time, a fifth year senior QB that has started for three years and we shut you out for a whole half. I'm not so sure your D could have done that. I could be wrong, but to me that was more impressive than you guys stopping a bunch of guys who we hoped would never be taking such important snaps this year.

Again, quite cordial.... :rolleyes:

Did I once say ours was better? I don't think so. My point was it's ridiculous that some of your brethren that that game proved yours was. It didn't.

Well, not in those words.....but, "doesn't prove crap" is a pretty strong statement of this. What was your notion of the best D before the game? If it was AU, then this is a moot point. If you STILL think UA's is better, say it.

So, I guess if your trying to make a point (something you've YET to do) go ahead and make it. This is a debate about which D is better. (hence the title) Now, lay out your argument as to WHY Bama's D is better. (one game doesn't prove crap is a lowsy argument).

Guest Tigrinum Major
I've seen some people on this board who think saturday's game proved who has the best D.  That is the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. 

125256[/snapback]

THIS was a cordial way to start the thread?

Anyway, to put my three cents in on this debate...

The BEST defense is hard to determine, based on this game or the season as a whole. However, here are some stats that truly matter...

Auburn is 11-0 and headed for a bright future.

Alabama is still mired in the effects of probation and glad to be headed to Shreveport. (And I truly hope it is Shreveport. That place is almost as bad a town as Tuscaloosa.)

It makes that days of growing up in the 70's almost worth it now...

I feel like Moses (CTT) has led us out of the wilderness and into the promised land...

Yo' uatBRAD...... To quote Ferris Bueller :"What? You're STILL here!?!....Go HOME!

It's OVER!" :moon::moon::moon::moon:

TWENTY ONE - thirteen

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au::football:

125356[/snapback]

If you wish to have a Pi$$ing contest based on common opponents, I'm game. (Even though this is entirely rediculous)

AU defense

MSU (14 points)

LSU (9 points)

UT (10 points)

Ole Miss (14 points)

Arkansas (20 points)

Kentucky (10 points)

Alabama (13 points)

Total (90 points)

UA defense

MSU (14 points)

LSU (26 points)

UT (17 points)

Ole Miss (7 points)

Arkansas (27 points)

Kentucky (17 points)

Auburn (21 points)

Total (129 points)

So aside from the Mississippi teams, we were better in each game.

Bring it........... :big:

125356[/snapback]

If you wish to have a Pi$$ing contest based on common opponents, I'm game. (Even though this is entirely rediculous)

AU defense

MSU (14 points)

LSU (9 points)

UT (10 points)

Ole Miss (14 points)

Arkansas (20 points)

Kentucky (10 points)

Alabama (13 points)

Total (90 points)

UA defense

MSU (14 points)

LSU (26 points)

UT (17 points)

Ole Miss (7 points)

Arkansas (27 points)

Kentucky (17 points)

Auburn (21 points)

Total (129 points)

So aside from the Mississippi teams, we were better in each game.

Bring it........... :big:

125394[/snapback]

BEEEEEEEP! foul on rainman...no fair using statistics.

ANYBODY knows he was only talking about defensing the mississippi teams. c'mon man, get w/ the program!!

i didn't go through reading this whole thing. i just wanna bring it a little ya know?

okay, let's talk season stats. i've always been of the opinion that the defense's job was to stop the other team from scoring. who cares how they move the ball if they don't put points on the scoreboard right? well, given that criteria, auburn's defense is the obvious choice.

i guess the goal of the defense could be to provide the offense with the short field. given that we both forced 23 turnovers to that's a draw (although we did lead the sec in turnover margin).

or it could be the old stop the run, win the game adage in the sec that's older than i am. given that, we stand head and shoulders above you guys.

or maybe it's redzone defense. the ability to tighten the screws when it really matters. we finished first in the sec in that category as well.

add to all that the fact that bama had the league's freshest defense from the start of the game to the finish (due to the fact that your offense led in time of possession by a wide margin), and i have to wonder why those guys wilted so consistently in the fourth quarter?

game in game out, auburn took away whatever the opponent did best. ut: hot freshmen qbs and the second best rush attack at the time? 5 ints and a beat down on cedric houston. uga: greene and the wideouts in a mismatch over our secondary? brown and gibson combine for 4 catches less than 50 yards and one knockout. ua: best rush offense in the conference? 50 yards on 31 carries. whatever you do best, throw it out the window b/c our defense can take it away. period. you can have your's; i'll take auburn and give up bout 10 points and see where i end up.

Dang, just Dang! I haven't laughed that hard since ... yesterday, reading all the moral victory news columns on al.com.

I'm just more than a little jealous that I didn't get to respond to this bammiebooby first. Nice job, guys -- hitting this hanging curveball of a post out of the park with your replies. :au: WDE

I'll admit Bama's defense put up a formidable fight.... for about the first 18 minutes of the game. After that, it was never in doubt for AU......and while I admire the heart Bama's D demonstrated, Chizik's D is simply more consistent.

3 in a row

4 out of last 5

rename it Jordan-Hare West

I think you should only be allowed to count points given up by your first string defense. I know Bama's had some defensive/special teams TDs scored on them this year. I don't think we have had any. Also, Bama's first string D has been on the field for the entire year.

Funny though. Bama fans complain about their D's getting worn out in games because the offense sucks, and they stay on the defensive side of the ball longer. However, I think the lead the SEC in time of possession. There goes that argument. The real problem is depth. Bama has none.

I can't believe I missed this thread. You guys get to have all the fun!!!

My one comment to bamabrad....This game didn't determine which defense was better, it just confirmed it. Everyone outside the MulletNation knew which defense was better, and has known since early October. If you need more.....Auburn shut bammer down for the first 49 minutes of the game. 60% of bammer's total yardage came against Auburn's prevent defense in the last 11 minutes of the game. There is NO comparison in the 2 defenses. bammer's is clearly 2nd tier, just like the rest of the program.

In addition, our first team defense (#1 scoring defense in the SEC, #3 total defense in the SEC) was only on the field for about 2 1/2 quarters in each game, against 7 of our 11 opponents. Against our 3 nonconference opponents, they played a total of 5 quarters. Even with that, our first 2 defensive teams are only a few yards worse than your first 11, which had to play every snap in 9 of 11 games. So instead of trying to compare defense for defense, maybe you should try and compare your first team defense to our second team. Then you may have an argument.

21-13, 17-7, 9-0, 17-0, 48-0.....home field advantage. Yeah, for Auburn!.

Columbus Ledger

...Offensive coordinator Al Borges credited the defense for keeping the Tigers close until the offense got going.

"Forget all the offense, because this wasn't about offense," Borges said. "The defense kept us in the game so we could win the game. We put them in a hole a couple of times. The score could have been 21-0 at halftime.

"They kept turning them back and giving us a chance to get on track."

In fact, the Tigers have been nearly flawless except with a big lead. They have allowed only 39 points in 11 games with less than a 20-point cushion.

"That is absolutely amazing," said coach Tommy Tuberville, a defensive coordinator on three Miami teams that won national championships.

The Tigers have had two of their better defensive games against top rivals Georgia and Alabama, holding both out of the end zone until the final minutes.

"I'm excited about us on defense," Tuberville said. "I think we're getting better each week. I don't think there's any doubt this defense has grown every week and can compete with anybody we play."...

Let me interpret that for you BamaBozo. When the game is still in question we have averaged allowing 3.55 points per game.

Have you brought it yet?!

Archived