Gus unleashed

trout54

I am completely supportive of us continuing to do what has gotten us here. Clearly, that is our nearly unstoppable running game. That said, what are the chances we see this offense unleashed in ways we have never seen before since Gus' hands are not tied by anyone else?

I, for one, believe that Gus understands that this opportunity presented is one that doesn't come around all of the time, and we may see some of his creative genius like none other we have ever seen.

What say you?

I am completely supportive of us continuing to do what has gotten us here. Clearly, that is our nearly unstoppable running game. That said, what are the chances we see this offense unleashed in ways we have never seen before since Gus' hands are not tied by anyone else?

I, for one, believe that Gus understands that this opportunity presented is one that doesn't come around all of the time, and we may see some of his creative genius like none other we have ever seen.

What say you?

I'm sure he will put in a couple of things they have not used. Pretty much expect him to do what he has been doing.

Here is an idea, let CDC pick plays in practice for the offense to run against the defense so that they can really practice defending the pass run schemes.

It will do too things, help our defense and help or offense because the last thing FSU will be expecting is us to throw more that say 10 passes.

So many folks on this board seem eager to see AU passing the ball more. Why is that? Is it because they like the excitement and mystery of a pass, the thrill of seeing our receiver trying to beat a defender to the ball, etc. ...or do they think the offense will be more dynamic with say 20-25 passes per game? I mean, what's the deal with this continued lobbying for more pass plays?

Just wondering....if more passes would actually help the offense's performance, why doesn't Gus see it that way.... and put the ball in the air more than he has lately?

It would be awesome if we went 0-0 for 0 yards passing with 650 yards rushing in a win against FSU. Do what got you here. That is why we beat bama, Georgia, and Mizzou.

Run, pass, I don't care. Do whatever works to win. And if that means running 80-90% of the time, then that's ok.

What say you?

I'm sure he will put in a couple of things they have not used. Pretty much expect him to do what he has been doing.

Coach Malzahn has barely scratched the surface of his playbook this season. He has so much more to bring if needed. The key is "if needed". He will not show any more than he has to show to win.

What say you?

Coach Malzahn has barely scratched the surface of his playbook this season. He has so much more to bring if needed. The key is "if needed". He will not show any more than he has to show to win.

Keeping it "simple" helps the team...better execution when there are a limited number of sets and plays and the option give so many variations that the defense has difficulty figuring out who has the ball. Basically the O is working like the proverbial "well oiled machine" and as long as it's rolling along, no point in looking for trouble. JMO

I'm on my phone and didn't realize I was in the rivals forum when I wrote it. I'm not able to change its location now. Sorry.

As for passing, there was no mention of the pass game in the OP. I merely was interested in people's thoughts as to whether or not we would see some new wrinkles. That's All. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

I want to pass more but not run less. I guess I really should say I want to pass better, not really more. I like this offense we have right now and don't think the noles can stop it. can we slow them enough to outscore them is my question.

I've stopped looking for completely new plays from Coach Malzahn. There may be some new twists on what the team already does for teh BCSCG but I doubt we'll really be seeing much we haven't already seen.

What I'm looking forward to is how good this team is likely to be doing what we've been seeing themdoing. Consider how much better this team has gotten each week, with one week to work or at times 2. Consider how much better they got just between that bama game and the MO game. Now think about how much beter they can get with a month to work on it. The last time they had a month to work Marshall had just joined the team.

I'm hoping this team will blow us all away on Jan 6. And that seems like a reasonable hope.

I think Gus has plays up his sleeve for EVERY game. I also think Gus is smart enough to do what is working until they stop it. If FSU stonewalls the running game, we may see a wrinkle or two to loosen them up. However, Gus will dance with who brung him as long as possible.

An example of a "wrinkle" was the pass to trovon reed where Sammie Coates was an ineligible receiver. There was no way. Zero. Zip. Nada. That the D players on the field were ever going to see that. The D assumed yet another jailbreak screen to Coates and we end up with a wide open reed going down the hash.

That was a freaking brilliant play design at the perfect time. That is why Gus is brilliant. You may try to emulate his O but that is the type of perfect play/call that others won't match.

Edit: stat tiger I know you get lots of requests but breaking that play down would be great. 3rd down conversion at a critical time in the game.

An example of a "wrinkle" was the pass to trovon reed where Sammie Coates was an ineligible receiver. There was no way. Zero. Zip. Nada. That the D players on the field were ever going to see that. The D assumed yet another jailbreak screen to Coates and we end up with a wide open reed going down the hash.

That was a freaking brilliant play design at the perfect time. That is why Gus is brilliant. You may try to emulate his O but that is the type of perfect play/call that others won't match.

Edit: stat tiger I know you get lots of requests but breaking that play down would be great. 3rd down conversion at a critical time in the game.

That indeed was a cleaver play....everything looked like some things we had been doing....right up until that last second shift that changed who would be the eligible receiver ....which caught the Mizz defense off guard.

I'm on my phone and didn't realize I was in the rivals forum when I wrote it. I'm not able to change its location now. Sorry.

As for passing, there was no mention of the pass game in the OP. I merely was interested in people's thoughts as to whether or not we would see some new wrinkles. That's All. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

Ha, no problem, I was just making sure I wasn't missing something. I'm prone to do that from time to time, at least according to my Wife. :)

That indeed was a cleaver play....everything looked like some things we had been doing....right up until that last second shift that changed who would be the eligible receiver ....which caught the Mizz defense off guard.

that is the key to this offense. Every play looks the same right up to the snap. The defense has to commit to something and then NM and co. take advantage of it.

Gus is already unleashed.I think his greatest strength is he is an excellent play caller.

So many folks on this board seem eager to see AU passing the ball more. Why is that? Is it because they like the excitement and mystery of a pass, the thrill of seeing our receiver trying to beat a defender to the ball, etc. ...or do they think the offense will be more dynamic with say 20-25 passes per game? I mean, what's the deal with this continued lobbying for more pass plays?

Just wondering....if more passes would actually help the offense's performance, why doesn't Gus see it that way.... and put the ball in the air more than he has lately?

Is it because yards gained on passes count double ? I think that must be it.

On a serious note, FSU has 2 lockdown corners that you have to set up first. Gus is an expert at doing that, usually with a series of running plays. Just going pass happy on them would be a fools errand imho.

Just wait until NM can hit the mid range throws with more consistency....defenses won't know what to do. At this point Gus calls a screen or draw-type play on 3 and 7+, and as successful as this offense has been lately, there isn't a coach in the world that would prefer to call screens and draws on 3rd and manageable rather than a simple mid-range throw.

Except maybe Paul Johnson LOL

Because adding a little balance to a devastating rushing attack makes the offense even better? :dunno:

I think every year with Gus we will see a different O. When JJ takes the reins in a couple years we will air it out more. Gus just likes to work with what he has and right now he has a ridiculously good run blocking O-line and a myriad of weapons that can run the ball.. plus the hulk at FB..

I think every year with Gus we will see a different O. When JJ takes the reins in a couple years we will air it out more. Gus just likes to work with what he has and right now he has a ridiculously good run blocking O-line and a myriad of weapons that can run the ball.. plus the hulk at FB..

^^^^This!^^^^

Gus plays the hand he is dealt. We have the most effective power running game in the country, and the most effective option running game in the country. The comparisons to the 1970s Wishbone powerhouse running teams is apt.

Archived