4 star OG/OT Braden Smith

EagleDamnWar

Publicly there was question if we could get him to OV but privately the staff knew they would get an OV when they got his initial interest. As for the ours to lose part after the AU OV, Chin has connections to the program. If he says people on the AU side felt he was ours to lose then that's for the most part how they felt. From what I know it may be over stating a little but only semantically.

By ours to lose, I meant that if NSD was the day before the TCU visit, Auburnw ould expect Braden Smith to sign with us. I still hear optimism from Auburn's side. He did have a good TCU visit by what little is out there though. It should be said that Auburn has killed it with Smith's recruitment. It very well may be that we don't land Smith but I would be surprised if we didn't

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going into his OV this weekend, Smith was Auburn's to lose, or at least that was the feeling from people on Auburn's side

Who was saying that?

AU's staff was busting their butts just get him to make the OV and had very little contact prior to that. After the OV, every supposed "insider" was saying that they did not know how he felt since he gave no post OV interview.

Lions comment above about sums up the situation at this moment. There is nothing to back up the comment noted above.

I hope Smith comes here...but either way, I commend him and his family for the way they have handled the recruitment process.

This is all incorrect.The staff did not have to bust it's arse to get Braden to OV. We put out feellers and Braden showed good interest. Also the AU side, especially the staff has been optimistic since the OV.

Maybe it's a matter of interpretation but you might want to go back to the start of this thread and while he had an "offer" as of late December, check even some of your own comments, Smith was mostly and unknown to this Board at the end of the year when the campaign began to sign him. ...and that was not too many days before the OV. Until then, TCU seemed to be in the lead and there was a question if we could get him to come for an OV.

Again maybe it's interpretation but read the entire thread and from the start AU had a hill to climb to get this guy....and he never was a slam dunk...or "ours to lose".

Publicly there was question if we could get him to OV but privately the staff knew they would get an OV when they got his initial interest. As for the ours to lose part after the AU OV, Chin has connections to the program. If he says people on the AU side felt he was ours to lose then that's for the most part how they felt. From what I know it may be over stating a little but only semantically.

My original comment referenced the idea he was "Auburn's to lose" which I questioned.

I don't think any kid from Kansas, Colorado,, Oklahoma or Texas for example is AU's to lose and IMO the coaching staff has done a very good job putting AU into the final mix. Since Chiz and Gus got on the scene, AUburn has done a good job of shaking the bushes to attract the interest of talented players from some distant locations. It should not go unnoticed that Bama's five 5* commits are all from different states...and I'm happy that AU has branched out with it's recruiting efforts too.

I'm hoping the big guy selects Auburn tomorrow ...but if he decides to go elsewhere, I still appreciate the work done to bring Auburn to his attention and give him the opportunity to attend school here. That kind of work will pay dividends in the future.

actually 1 of the 5 stars are from Alabama marlon Humphrey

He was saying their five 5 stars were from five different states. So I don't think there is any disagreement here.

for what it is worth, 247 experts all but one have Smith going to TCU, and no Rivals experts are picking AU. I hope they are wrong!

Just a heads up for everyone. Olathe is currently being buried by snow and the whole town is pretty much shut down. It's supposed to stop snowing, tonight, but accumulations are significant, so there is a possibility that school will be cancelled, tomorrow. If Braden's announcement is postponed, DON'T FREAK OUT.

Just a heads up for everyone. Olathe is currently being buried by snow and the whole town is pretty much shut down. It's supposed to stop snowing, tonight, but accumulations are significant, so there is a possibility that school will be cancelled, tomorrow. If Braden's announcement is postponed, DON'T FREAK OUT.

Thanks

Been moved back to 10:20 AM for the time being.

Per Recruiting Nation:

Smith plays it close to vest

Few recruits have kept people in suspense like Braden Smith, the four-star offensive guard from Olathe (Kan.) South. Smith, the No. 9 offensive guard, hasn't kept people in the dark on purpose. It's not his style to give detailed reports on his top schools, so there is certainly some mystery about whom he signs with Wednesday. The projection here is that Smith signs with Auburn, picking it over TCU and Texas A&M. Smith and his family have talked to Auburn's track coaches about allowing his sister, Megan, to use their facilities after she graduates from TCU in preparation for international competitions in the shot put and discus. In the end, that -- and playing for a school that has immediate holes to fill along the offensive line -- will make the difference.

for what it is worth, 247 experts all but one have Smith going to TCU, and no Rivals experts are picking AU. I hope they are wrong!

As I see it, the crystal ball picks for the last 2 weeks are 12 AU vs 3 TCU. I hope they are right!

Per Recruiting Nation:

The projection here is that Smith signs with Auburn, picking it over TCU and Texas A&M. Smith and his family have talked to Auburn's track coaches about allowing his sister, Megan, to use their facilities after she graduates from TCU in preparation for international competitions in the shot put and discus. In the end, that -- and playing for a school that has immediate holes to fill along the offensive line -- will make the difference.

This is good info... I think he signs with the good guys tomorrow. Thanks EDW.

Per Recruiting Nation:

The projection here is that Smith signs with Auburn, picking it over TCU and Texas A&M. Smith and his family have talked to Auburn's track coaches about allowing his sister, Megan, to use their facilities after she graduates from TCU in preparation for international competitions in the shot put and discus. In the end, that -- and playing for a school that has immediate holes to fill along the offensive line -- will make the difference.

That is not a violation right? Allowing her to use our facilities?

Per Recruiting Nation:

That is not a violation right? Allowing her to use our facilities?

No. She will be graduated and Olympic trial athletes use our facilities all the time.

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?showtopic=179398

Here's a public TCU board that talks a good deal about Braden. If you don't want to go look at it, most people are cautiously optimistic. Most just talk about who they want to sign, but don't really have info. One of their "insiders" though thinks a good chance of Smith to AU, and the other posters seem to trust what he is saying. Also, as far as the facilities, they were talking about her coming to vet school here, but I haven't heard much about that.

http://www.killerfro...howtopic=179398

Here's a public TCU board that talks a good deal about Braden. If you don't want to go look at it, most people are cautiously optimistic. Most just talk about who they want to sign, but don't really have info. One of their "insiders" though thinks a good chance of Smith to AU, and the other posters seem to trust what he is saying. Also, as far as the facilities, they were talking about her coming to vet school here, but I haven't heard much about that.

Starting to trend in other places as well.

http://www.killerfro...howtopic=179398

Starting to trend in other places as well.

Like hearing this.

Just wanted to make a note for anyone that hasn't seen it that his announcement time has moved to 10:20AM CT. That's gonna be a busy hour.

@jeremycrabtree: Because of the snow storm in KC, #ESPN300 OL Braden Smith's decision on @ESPNU has moved to 11:20 ET. #TCU, #Auburn, #Aggies. #SigningDay

Just wanted to make a note for anyone that hasn't seen it that his announcement time has moved to 10:20AM CT. That's gonna be a busy hour.

@jeremycrabtree: Because of the snow storm in KC, #ESPN300 OL Braden Smith's decision on @ESPNU has moved to 11:20 ET. #TCU, #Auburn, #Aggies. #SigningDay

So 10am Evans announcement and 10:20am Smith Announcement? Yowza!!

Evans is 10:45. I don't know why so many other sites are not correcting themselves after ESPNU posted times.

Evans is 10:45. I don't know why so many other sites are not correcting themselves after ESPNU posted times.

IMHO there's a reason when recruits change their announcement time, it's rarely arbitrary, and it frequently means they're looking to see what happens at a particular school. With the "Evans not signing w/ Bama if they sign 2" ultimatum we can guess that's why he's waiting. But I'm struggling to see what Braden's looking at that might make up his mind this morning. Thoughts? Any word re Treon?

IMHO there's a reason when recruits change their announcement time, it's rarely arbitrary, and it frequently means they're looking to see what happens at a particular school. With the "Evans not signing w/ Bama if they sign 2" ultimatum we can guess that's why he's waiting. But I'm struggling to see what Braden's looking at that might make up his mind this morning. Thoughts? Any word re Treon?

I think the time change was due to the weather in Kansas

Evans time was never changed. He was always announcing at 10:45. The ceremony just starts around 10 and people were incorrectly reporting that as his announcement time. Braden's was changed to 10:20 because of a bad snow storm.

Evans time was never changed. He was always announcing at 10:45. The ceremony just starts around 10 and people were incorrectly reporting that as his announcement time. Braden's was changed to 10:20 because of a bad snow storm.

Are you sure about this....45 minute announcement ceremony seems unusual?

Are you sure about this....45 minute announcement ceremony seems unusual?

A 45 minute announcement ceremony fits right in with everything else that's gone on there lately.

Archived