4 star OG/OT Braden Smith

EagleDamnWar

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will he also continue his track career?

He and the coaches are still "working out the details" on that. Historically, AU isn't too fond of football players playing another sport...

Hard to see how his work on Shot and DIscus would negatively impact football....would be a shame for Gus not to come to some kind of accommodation.

Is he considered a Div 1 prospect in those sports? From what I understand those events are as much about mechanics as brute strength. To me it would require a lot of year round practice.

Free article from Jason Caldwell on Braden, "You're going to see an amazing athlete" http://auburn.scout.com/2/1373610.html

Really good article. Thanks for posting it. I am glad Braden is our our team.

Is he considered a Div 1 prospect in those sports? From what I understand those events are as much about mechanics as brute strength. To me it would require a lot of year round practice.

Last season he was 188 discus and 59-7" shot...pretty good I think....top 20 HS boys.

But...LSU had a starting DB that also started for the baseball team and was a top draft choice. And LSU, Florida and a number of other schools routinely have football players running track. South Carolina had a kid start for football and basketball. JMO but the football coaches can do whatever they want to do...but there is not too much justification to prevent them from playing other sports except in the case of QBs perhaps.

6'6", 300lbs with less than 5% body fat. Is that right? Dayum, what has this kid been eating? There aren't many physical specimen like this anywhere but this kid is only 17 or 18 years old and already benches 515 3x. From purely a physical stand point, I don't recall Auburn signing a kid like this....ever!

I have a friend who works for the City of Olathe, and once his measurables came out in the news, he was literally the talk of the town. A kid like this is rare, but even more so in KC, which isn't known as a bastion of fitness. Once more, I hear that his character is top notch. Auburn got a great recruit. I can't wait to get to know his family at the local club events.

Did anyone else hear the comment from CJBG about him? He called Braden "stronger than train smoke," if I'm not mistaken.

:hellyeah:

Last season he was 188 discus and 59-7" shot...pretty good I think....top 20 HS boys.

But...LSU had a starting DB that also started for the baseball team and was a top draft choice. And LSU, Florida and a number of other schools routinely have football players running track. South Carolina had a kid start for football and basketball. JMO but the football coaches can do whatever they want to do...but there is not too much justification to prevent them from playing other sports except in the case of QBs perhaps.

don't recall what top notch discus distances are, but if I recall that is a solid shot put distance but not elite. I was a 52' to 54' and did not get a sniff by a college for shot put.

Just a point of trivia ... High school used to be 12# shot and college and up was 16#. I always trained with a 16 and used 12 for minimal practice and the meets.

Shot is about strength but technique sets you apart. Quickness and power in your legs is paramount. My guess from reading this kids workout profile, seeing his pics and his drive ... This kid will be great at whatever he wants to be great at. If he wanted to be successful in track field events I would not bet against him. Count me very impressed with this young man.

don't recall what top notch discus distances are, but if I recall that is a solid shot put distance but not elite. I was a 52' to 54' and did not get a sniff by a college for shot put.

Just a point of trivia ... High school used to be 12# shot and college and up was 16#. I always trained with a 16 and used 12 for minimal practice and the meets.

Shot is about strength but technique sets you apart. Quickness and power in your legs is paramount. My guess from reading this kids workout profile, seeing his pics and his drive ... This kid will be great at whatever he wants to be great at. If he wanted to be successful in track field events I would not bet against him. Count me very impressed with this young man.

AU has a guy that goes about 65 feet in shot and just under 200 in discus. Not that many years ago we had a big lineman who was 200+ in discus if I remember right...father was a coach at AU......to lazy to look him up but came to AU with more of a track reputation that football but was pretty solid in the line.

Track is like swimming ....always helps to have some depth to pick up points.. Smith is a young guy, probably minimum training in those events...could be pretty good even as a part-timer.

AU has a guy that goes about 65 feet in shot and just under 200 in discus. Not that many years ago we had a big lineman who was 200+ in discus if I remember right...father was a coach at AU......to lazy to look him up but came to AU with more of a track reputation that football but was pretty solid in the line.

Track is like swimming ....always helps to have some depth to pick up points.. Smith is a young guy, probably minimum training in those events...could be pretty good even as a part-timer.

Are you thinking of Zach Clayton?

Thanks aufan...that's it...should have remembered. I think his dad was his coach for the discus. Anyway, if Smith wants to work on track....I don't think he will suffer any by missing a little time away from the weight room.

I have been trying to remember Zach Claytons name all day. We both went to Opelika High...just in different decades.

Damn, you're a real young 'un ain't ya'? :)

Free article from Jason Caldwell on Braden, "You're going to see an amazing athlete" http://auburn.scout.com/2/1373610.html

This guy is almost 300 pounds and it is lean weight. Once we get his legs built up...wowzers!

He can squat over 700 pounds. I think they're pretty built up.

Thanks aufan...that's it...should have remembered. I think his dad was his coach for the discus. Anyway, if Smith wants to work on track....I don't think he will suffer any by missing a little time away from the weight room.

agree. Actually think they would compliment each other. If the kid enjoys it, can help the track team, then he should at least participate in home and close meets. Good for him.

Man, this guy is lean, strong, and probably won't play this year because of the experience we already have. If he's fast enough, I'd say put him in Prosch's roll just to see the defenses react! :laugh:

From his sophomore year:

http://www.maxpreps....ac-002655e6c45a

Thanks for posting that. great read

Interesting read...and quite a story how he ended up with Auburn which was probably the last serious school to contact him. Looks like a perfect fit to me.

Man, this guy is lean, strong, and probably won't play this year because of the experience we already have. If he's fast enough, I'd say put him in Prosch's roll just to see the defenses react! :laugh:

I thought about that too. He seems quick enough and I think it would be awesome to at least see it once.

Archived