No Class

weagl1

Anyone see USC execute the fake a punt with 6 minutes remaining and up 34-10 on Notre Dame, then go for the bomb on the next play to make it 41-10? Is that the kind of crap that the BCS thinks is cool? I think back to Tuberville running it up the middle on GA up 24-0 in the 4th quarter, running it up the middle on AL up 21-6 in the 4th quarter, and numerous other times this season when he could have probably thrown the ball and run up the score to impress the computers and voters. Forget it. If college football has reached the point where it takes poor sportmanship, rubbing your opponents noses in it, running the score and that kind of crap to come out on top then something is very wrong with the system. If the average fan had a vote then USC would have probably lost right there. :no:

Anyone see USC execute the fake a punt with 6 minutes remaining and up 34-10 on Notre Dame, then go for the bomb on the next play to make it 41-10?  Is that the kind of crap that the BCS thinks is cool?  I think back to Tuberville running it up the middle on GA up 24-0 in the 4th quarter, running it up the middle on AL up 21-6 in the 4th quarter, and numerous other times this season when he could have probably thrown the ball and run up the score to impress the computers and voters.  Forget it.  If college football has reached the point where it takes poor sportmanship, rubbing your opponents noses in it, running the score and that kind of crap to come out on top then something is very wrong with the system.  If the average fan had a vote then USC would have probably lost right there.      :no:

126805[/snapback]

Great post, unfortunately it's all about media writers' and coaches' pride, and utlimately, money. These guys are willing to do whatever it takes to get into the MNC or other big bowl for the payout. I don't even think I'd like watching Auburn doing that to people if we were doing it. I agree this isn't the college football I like to watch. Not at all.

Anyone see USC execute the fake a punt with 6 minutes remaining and up 34-10 on Notre Dame, then go for the bomb on the next play to make it 41-10?  Is that the kind of crap that the BCS thinks is cool?  I think back to Tuberville running it up the middle on GA up 24-0 in the 4th quarter, running it up the middle on AL up 21-6 in the 4th quarter, and numerous other times this season when he could have probably thrown the ball and run up the score to impress the computers and voters.  Forget it.  If college football has reached the point where it takes poor sportmanship, rubbing your opponents noses in it, running the score and that kind of crap to come out on top then something is very wrong with the system.  If the average fan had a vote then USC would have probably lost right there.      :no:

126805[/snapback]

I can't agree. It has nothing to do with class and everything to do with ND being unable to stop SC. SC can't be blamed for ND not playing the entire 60 minutes.

As for the voters & computers: computers are not "impressed" with unexpected plays & quick scores in the 4th quarter. Human voters are. Like it or not, the ease at which a team plays & quickly scores is very impressionable. It generates the idea that the team is unstoppable and therefore, unbeatable (e.g. UF under Spurrier.) Voters see this kind of performance and say, "Wow, that team can score at will. That is definately the best team I've seen all year." This is especially true when compared to a team that wins but does it unspectacularly. You're a voter. Who would you pick as the #1 team? The team that wins by 31 in a big rivalry game with a seemingly unstoppable offense, or a team that coasts in the 4th quarter with just enough points to win? Voters are NOT impressed with the thought that a team coulda' scored more points if they wanted. Why not? It's the difference between doing something & talking about doing something.

I despise the fact that we even have to have this discussion. But if we're going to compete in this charade of having sportswriters vote to select the two best teams to play in the NC, then we better start appealing to the one thing that we know impresses the voters: margin of victory. A team can still make a show of calling off the dogs in the last minute or so of the 4th quarter -- after they're up by 30 or 40. :D

Speaking of CLASS, I'll take this bunch of young men of AUBURN and their "class" any day over the MNC if thats what it boils down to.

I am a hard fighting soldier, on the battlefield

I keep on bringin souls to Jesus

By the service that I give

I’ve got a helmet on my head, in my hand a sword and shield

You gotta walk right, talk right, sing right, pray right, on the battlefield

I keep bringin souls to Jesus

We keep bringin souls to Jesus

By the service that we give

Scriptural Reference:

"Put on the full armor of God." Ephesians 6:11

"With God we will gain the victory!" Psalm 60:12

A football game is 60 minutes in duration. SC played for 60 minutes, why fault them for giving 110% up until the final whistle blew??? :blink: Classless??? Not IMO. The margin of victory was 31 pts and could have been worse. SC is playing to retain the #1 ranking, they played like they deserved to be ranked #1.

It's not like beating a (1-8) team 73-7 (66 pt margin) with nothing on the line. Not what I would call a statement game.

:blink:

WDE

My guess would be, and this is just a guess, that if we have a chance to really lay it on UT, then we will. I think CTT will back off his "not running up the score" philosophy for just this one game.

We will be playing the SEC Championship game against #15 ranked team in America. In that arena, I don't think that there is such a thing as "running up the score". It is up to UT to prevent us from scoring for 60 minutes, not 45 or 50 minutes. Personally, I hope we hang 50 on them. If Vandy can score 30+, Kentucky 30+, we should accept nothing less than 50. 3 victories over UT in 14 months, that will be great.

WDE

And if the situation were reversed, where an undefeated UT was going to get screwed out of playing for the NC, I wouldn't hold it against them if they ran it up on us... (uh, assuming we end being in position to run it up ourselves.)

If USC would have gotten it running the offense then I wouldn't have a problem with it, the fake punt part is what I disagree with. Wow look we tricked a team that knew they were beat and no longer sharp or playing as hard.

They had that game won the moment Ty decided to do those back to back trick plays in the third.

On one hand, I was dissapointed in the move...on the other, i think this is another reflection of how the BCS is screwing up college football.

I gurantee you, in a non-bcs scenario, he doesnt run the score up.

bcs sux

On one hand, I was dissapointed in the move...on the other, i think this is another reflection of how the BCS is screwing up college football.

bcs sux

126891[/snapback]

BG,

I think he called the long bomb not for BCS points but for Heisman votes. It gave Leinhart 5 TD passes against Notre Dame, tying the record of the most TD passes against Notre Dame. Either way.... classless.

bcs sux

126891[/snapback]

BG,

I think he called the long bomb not for BCS points but for Heisman votes. It gave Leinhart 5 TD passes against Notre Dame, tying the record of the most TD passes against Notre Dame. Either way.... classless.

126893[/snapback]

A 23 yard "bomb"???

bcs sux

126891[/snapback]

BG,

126893[/snapback]

You are absolutely right IMHO.

Look what impresses the voters most:

Once again, there will be very little change near the top of the BCS Standings. USC impressed enough AP voters to gain seven more points, six of which came out of Auburn's total. The coaches, on the other hand, took one point away from both USC and Auburn and gave both of them to Oklahoma. The net result was that the Sooners increased their margins over the Tigers to 10 in the AP poll and seven in the coaches' poll.  ...

Remember, it's sportswriters & coaches voting on who they presume to be the best teams based on their own private criteria. Maybe some of them profess a regional bias. Maybe some of them have an ax to grind with the team in their region. Who knows? It doesn't have to make sense. It's voting for crying out loud. Voting is perfectly suited to electing a person to political office -- NOT for determining which football team is the best. The only fair way to do that is to play a football game. Unfortunately, we can't play a 116 game season so the only rational way to find the best team is a playoff.

okl and usc are not 1 and 2 because they "run up the score"...they are in the top 2 because they did not play any 1-aa schools...while I think auburn's schedule is just as tough as the other two teams, I have known for several years that playing a 1-aa team will kill your sos in any of the computer polls and that if you are in the SEC and do not play any 1-aa teams that you won't have to worry about going undefeated and beng 3rd or lower in the polls....the auburn AD should have known this too...you schedule a mid level conference usa team or Mac team or Wac team or lower level acc team or pac-10 team and you won't have any worreis about SOS. I understand that auburn made the consience decision not to chase a tough team this year since we got burned by the toughest schedule in the country last year...it was a stupid decision but it also helped us prepare for that first UT game so I can't say things might not have been different if we had played a tougher team that week...anyone who says they didn't know scheduling a 1-aa team can hurt your sos drastically (from all the computer alorithms perspective) doesn't need to be involved in schedule making

okl and usc are not 1 and 2 because they "run up the score"...they are in the top 2 because they did not play any 1-aa schools...while I think auburn's schedule is just as tough as the other two teams, I have known for several years that playing a 1-aa team will kill your sos in any of the computer polls and that if you are in the SEC and do not play any 1-aa teams that you won't have to worry about going undefeated and beng 3rd or lower in the polls....the auburn AD should have known this too...you schedule a mid level conference usa team or Mac team or Wac team or lower level acc team or pac-10 team and you won't have any worreis about SOS.  I understand that auburn made the consience decision not to chase a tough team this year since we got burned by the toughest schedule in the country last year...it was a stupid decision but it also helped us prepare for that first UT game so I can't say things might not have been different if we had played a tougher team that week...anyone who says they didn't know scheduling a 1-aa team can hurt your sos drastically (from all the computer alorithms perspective) doesn't need to be involved in schedule making

127125[/snapback]

You seem to "know" a lot about scheduling, except for the fact that we didn't have The Citadel on our original schedule. Bowling Green backed out to play Oklahoma and we were left scrambling for an opponent. I guess in hindsight maybe we should have just played ten games. Could we do that? I don't know. I just know if we end up undefeated I don't really give a crap about what some tide hack in Huntsville or some tree hugger in Walla Walla Washington thinks of us.

War Damn Eagle and Beat the Viles.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Yeah, Tuberville would've been called every name in the book.  Hell, the announcers would've probably joined in too...

126811[/snapback]

Not to throw stones and it was completely a different scenario, but didn't we call a fake field goal against Mississippi State a few years ago when the game was well in hand? Tuberville was raked over the coals for that one, but I really don't think he cared. One last chance to stick it to ole Jackie...

But the announcers made no mention of the fake punt being anything other than part of the game. I think that play was classless, but running pass plays after the game was well in hand wasn't a problem for me. They were just running their offense. If you don't want the score run up on you, learn to play defense.

Tuberville has done a great job not trying to run up the score, especially against Alabama. But just once in my lifetime, I want to hang about 50 on them while we shut them out...

Guest Tigrinum Major
okl and usc are not 1 and 2 because they "run up the score"...they are in the top 2 because they did not play any 1-aa schools...while I think auburn's schedule is just as tough as the other two teams, I have known for several years that playing a 1-aa team will kill your sos in any of the computer polls and that if you are in the SEC and do not play any 1-aa teams that you won't have to worry about going undefeated and beng 3rd or lower in the polls....the auburn AD should have known this too...you schedule a mid level conference usa team or Mac team or Wac team or lower level acc team or pac-10 team and you won't have any worreis about SOS.  I understand that auburn made the consience decision not to chase a tough team this year since we got burned by the toughest schedule in the country last year...it was a stupid decision but it also helped us prepare for that first UT game so I can't say things might not have been different if we had played a tougher team that week...anyone who says they didn't know scheduling a 1-aa team can hurt your sos drastically (from all the computer alorithms perspective) doesn't need to be involved in schedule making

127125[/snapback]

No, they are Numbers 1 & 2 mainly because that is where they started the year and they haven't lost. Sportwriters and coaches are very relunctant to move a team down, especially those at the very top, until they lose. They don't want to appear that they did not know who was the best from the start. The votes we picked up probably used to belong to Miami or Georgia...

Also, I am sick and tired about hearing about us playing the Citadel and how Housel should have known better. I tell you what, if we had lost a close game to LSU, beat everyone else and been on the cusp of a BCS bid, like Cal and Texas, I doubt this issue ever comes up. I doubt Housel thought that playing the Citadel would cost us a chance to play for the MNC. He was just trying to find an opponent that wouldn't want a return game, all on short notice. I don't agree with everything Housel has done since he has been AD, but I don't fault him for that. He is a good Auburn man who was probably in a job a little over his head...

IF we beat UT and still get left out of the MNC game, so be it. I will still cherish this season and this group of stellar young men forever, just like I do the ones from 1983, 1993 and a lot of other seasons.

Sometimes, when we experience success in football, we lose sight of what Auburn is, or what it isn't...

Auburn is...a family. Coaches come and go, but Auburn people remain. Tommy Tuberville and Shug Jordan are Auburn people. Terry Bowden wasn't.

Auburn isn't...about mythical championships and trophies. Sure, they are nice and I wish we had more of them, but Auburn is about doing your best and letting that speak for itself.

War Damn Eagle.

I understand that auburn made the consience decision not to chase a tough team this year since we got burned by the toughest schedule in the country last year...

I was under the impression schedules are set years in advance, which was one reason why SOS was taken out of the BCS calculation. Because what might look like a tough schedule when you first set it, may end up to be a not so tough schedule by the time you get around to playing it.

127125[/snapback]

You seem to "know" a lot about scheduling, except for the fact that we didn't have The Citadel on our original schedule. Bowling Green backed out to play Oklahoma and we were left scrambling for an opponent. I guess in hindsight maybe we should have just played ten games. Could we do that? I don't know. I just know if we end up undefeated I don't really give a crap about what some tide hack in Huntsville or some tree hugger in Walla Walla Washington thinks of us.

War Damn Eagle and Beat the Viles.

127132[/snapback]

I know we just scheduled Citadel this last summer...I assumed everyone else here knew that as well since it has been stated so many times...The fact is there are 117 other div 1 schools and dozens of them had open dates during our open dates and dozens of others could have been bought away from there games just as bowling green was bought out of our game, but in this case our AD didn't feel it was worth the effort...in his own words he thought scheduling citadel seemed to be the "smart move"....unfortunately it turned out that it wasn't the smartest scheduling decision in history..I understand the reasoning for it and in other scenrios it may have been the smart move, it certainly wasn't the most risky move, he played it safe and therefore or SOS is judged to be worse than most top 25 teams.

Archived