Conference Championship Game

AUloggerhead

What do you think?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Like it. Conf Champ decided on field. No if, ands, or buts.
    • Like it. Obscene $$$ generated/distributed to members.
    • Hate it. Too much risk/ little gain for top BCS-ranked teams.
    • Hate it. Don't like the idea of playing same team twice.

I would like to see some comments on this. The SEC expanded & went to the Conference Championship Game route before there was a BCS. The Big XII followed suit shortly after the SEC. The ACC will have one next seson (?) if I'm not mistaken. If your reason for liking or hating isn't up there, then post a reply.

This year it is kind of pointless, but it is always better to have a clear cut winner instead of letting "people" or computers decide.

:au: in the BcS proves this point very well this year. Under a system where the teams could settle it on the field, the :sec: would be bringing home 2 in a row.

in general, i think it's an impediment to better teams, yet in any given year, it can help a team gain precious BCS points (like last year) or hurt them...

didn't UT's loss to LSU in the SECCG a few years back prevent them from playing for the NC? a rematch game that they lost, right?

let me add: if the SEC Championship were an end in & of itself, i'd be more in favor of it...but since at least one participant is frequently playing for something beyond it (i.e., the NC), then i think teams that do NOT have to play in a CCG have an easier route to the NC game.

$0.02

It is clearly an impedement. If all confrences had a CG I would be heavily in favor of them, sort of a playoff I guess. But as it stands now, it is an extra game (and usually a tough one at that) that not all teams have to play. I know this year I would love to see USC have to play someone like Cal in a PAC-10 CG.

I think the conference championship should only be played when it is needed. I know it would never make sense to only play it some years, but the SEC doesn't need it this year. AU is the ONLY undefeated SEC team, and the team they will play for the championship has already lost to AU once. If Tenn was to somehow pull off an upset over AU, there is no way in my mind that a 2 loss Tenn is better than a 1 loss AU team. The only time it should be played is when there isn't a clear winner in the conference. The Big10(11) needed a conference championship game at least twice in the last couple of years. The Pac-10 doesn't need one this year, and neither does the Big12. Again, if Tenn and Colorado were to pull off upsets, the BCS bowls would be crap. JMO

Gotta' keep the SECCG just as it is. IF the Gators had made it to the top in the East, We could have run the table and made it a clean sweep ! ! ! :D

Archived