Climate Consensus Con Game

AFTiger

Ain't the internet great!

http://www.ufoabduction.com/

http://www.abduct.com/

I could continue, but hopefully the point is made.

Anonymous_Tin_Hat.jpg

The face I see in my head when imagining the average poster in the politics forum.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anonymous_Tin_Hat.jpg

The face I see in my head when imagining the average poster in the politics forum.

I just picture a smug little prick when I think of you or homer. It's impressive that you both have time to post here with all the time you spend patting yourselves on the back and basking in your self perceived genious.

How heavy is the burden of knowing everything?

Anonymous_Tin_Hat.jpg

I just picture a smug little prick when I think of you or homer. It's impressive that you both have time to post here with all the time you spend patting yourselves on the back and basking in your self perceived genious.

Wow. And here I thought Ben was one of the most rational posters in here.

Perhaps you are out of your league.

Anonymous_Tin_Hat.jpg

I don't read much in the p.f. I don't think what was said was much of a stretch. Both guys post volumes in here and belittle most other posters frequently. Sure appears like they feel like geniuses among idiots.

Perhaps you are out of your league.

I am certain you feel that way.

Oh no, 88, the original internet tough guy is here. I'm scared. Are you boys scared?

*snicker* I see, they are rude continuously on this thread, I respond with rudeness and am "the internet tough guy". Your perception is flawed and humorous.

Anonymous_Tin_Hat.jpg

I don't read much in the p.f. I don't think what was said was much of a stretch. Both guys post volumes in here and belittle most other posters frequently. Sure appears like they feel like geniuses among idiots.

Smug little prick.

Easy there, fella. It was meant sarcastically. I probably could have phrased it differently and I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else, but lighten up a tad bit.

Which reminds me that I do owe EMT an apology. Sorry if I came off as condescending in our exchange. I'll keep it friendlier next time.

Oh no, 88, the original internet tough guy is here. I'm scared. Are you boys scared?

Maybe after they kidnapped him, the aliens inserted their probe in the wrong end.

Good stuff homer (insert heavy sarcasm emoticon here).

Easy there, fella. It was meant sarcastically. I probably could have phrased it differently and I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else, but lighten up a tad bit.

Which reminds me that I do owe EMT an apology. Sorry if I came off as condescending in our exchange. I'll keep it friendlier next time.

It's not like the quoted post was a rarity from you. Yes, you exchanged pleasantries with emt. Congrats! I said what I had to say, I have no urge to go back and forth about it with you.

I am enjoying this thread overall and have noticed in general that those opposing your viewpoint are being much more respectful than you and homer, who have taken repeated potshots at their intelligence. That is all.

I am a fence sitter on the issue. Not completely sold on either Christianity or the Theory of Evolution.

88, you are rude and foul mouthed in every forum. This would be a better site without you.

I like jumping on hot topics and confronting rude people with the same. Why is it ok for homer and others to be rude but when I give it back it upsets you?

88, you are rude and foul mouthed in every forum. This would be a better site without you.

I like jumping on hot topics and confronting rude people with the same. Why is it ok for homer and others to be rude but when I give it back it upsets you?

Could you please cite the post in which I was so rude? I don't know what in hell you are talking about.

...who have taken repeated potshots at their intelligence.

Link to me questioning the intelligence of anyone in this forum. I don't present myself as smarter than anyone else here.

I'm not "upset" 88. You pop in, call someone a prick for absolutely no reason and you think you are some kind of hero. NO, you do this all the time, in every forum. You just enjoy being a negative force.

AF, You are very close to crossing over the threshold into outright lying.

Again, no one who thinks, would ever propose the idea that consensus is science. However, suggesting the consensus opinion is wrong merely for being the consensus, is as dumb or dumber than suggesting they are correct merely by being the consensus. This is all meaningless rhetoric. None of this "consensus" talk has anything to do with the science.

I think one has to truly understand their own argument before they are lying, which is the only thing you can say in his support. Personally, I think he is more ignorant than deceptive.

At least there is no shame in ignorance, until you start pushing it.

Here ya go homer. Find the rest yourself. It's funny you would even attempt to deny it.

Again, no one who thinks, would ever propose the idea that consensus is science. However, suggesting the consensus opinion is wrong merely for being the consensus, is as dumb or dumber than suggesting they are correct merely by being the consensus. This is all meaningless rhetoric. None of this "consensus" talk has anything to do with the science.

I think one has to truly understand their own argument before they are lying, which is the only thing you can say in his support. Personally, I think he is more ignorant than deceptive.

Here ya go homer. Find the rest yourself. It's funny you would even attempt to deny it.

You are right. I implied he is less than informed about the subject because he made an obviously stupid post regarding it. That was very rude of me.

I should have called him a "smug little prick".

You are right. I implied he is less than informed about the subject because he made an obviously stupid post regarding it. That was very rude of me.

I should have called him "smug little prick".

"As for my arrogance, I will plead guilty. But I have limited patience when it comes to suffering fools.".

Homer you pretty much called yourself the same thing in this thread as quoted above. I was just paraphrasing your own words.

I'm not "upset" 88. You pop in, call someone a prick for absolutely no reason and you think you are some kind of hero. NO, you do this all the time, in every forum. You just enjoy being a negative force.

I'll admit I wish I hadn't used the word prick and been a tiny bit less hot headed. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

http://io9.com/the-great-lakes-experience-their-deepest-freeze-in-20-y-1528746850

The Great Lakes Experience Their Deepest Freeze in 20 Years

For the first time since 1994, 88% of the surface of the Great Lakes has frozen solid.

The image above, like the image of the lakes we posted earlier this week, is a true-color image, which can make it difficult to discern ice from snow and clouds. In the image below, NASA's Aqua – an Earth-observing satellite that maps the planet's water – has photographed the lakes using infrared filters that make these features easier to tell apart. As Phil Plait explains over onBad Astronomy:

EXPAND

Different wavelengths (colors, if you will) of infrared light are absorbed and reflected differently by the features below, making it easier to tell them apart. In this case, water is deep blue, ice is pale blue (where it's thicker it looks brighter), snow is blue-green, and clouds are blue-green or white.

As you can see, a lot of water is covered, some of it in pretty substantial ice sheets. If they hadn't labeled Lake Erie, I would've missed it.

"Persistently low temperatures across the Great Lakes region are responsible for the increased areal coverage of the ice," said Nathan Kurtz, cryospheric scientist NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. According to NASA Earth Observatory, cold air and winds remove heat from the fresh water until it reaches the freezing point, at which point ice begins to form on the lakes' surface. "Low temperatures are the dominant mechanism for thickening the ice," said Kurtz, "but secondary factors like clouds, snow, and wind also play a role."

[NASA Earth Observatory via Bad Astronomy]

http://io9.com/the-great-lakes-experience-their-deepest-freeze-in-20-y-1528746850

The Great Lakes Experience Their Deepest Freeze in 20 Years

For the first time since 1994, 88% of the surface of the Great Lakes has frozen solid.

The image above, like the image of the lakes we posted earlier this week, is a true-color image, which can make it difficult to discern ice from snow and clouds. In the image below, NASA's Aqua – an Earth-observing satellite that maps the planet's water – has photographed the lakes using infrared filters that make these features easier to tell apart. As Phil Plait explains over onBad Astronomy:

EXPAND

Different wavelengths (colors, if you will) of infrared light are absorbed and reflected differently by the features below, making it easier to tell them apart. In this case, water is deep blue, ice is pale blue (where it's thicker it looks brighter), snow is blue-green, and clouds are blue-green or white.

As you can see, a lot of water is covered, some of it in pretty substantial ice sheets. If they hadn't labeled Lake Erie, I would've missed it.

"Persistently low temperatures across the Great Lakes region are responsible for the increased areal coverage of the ice," said Nathan Kurtz, cryospheric scientist NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. According to NASA Earth Observatory, cold air and winds remove heat from the fresh water until it reaches the freezing point, at which point ice begins to form on the lakes' surface. "Low temperatures are the dominant mechanism for thickening the ice," said Kurtz, "but secondary factors like clouds, snow, and wind also play a role."

[NASA Earth Observatory via Bad Astronomy]

TigerMike actually posted a thread on this very topic the other day:

EDIT: I thought this XKCD comic in the comments was hilarious.

ku-medium.png

Archived