3 players no longer with team

Do any of you live in this world? Or do you live in fantasy land where everybody is a winner and gets a trophy? Good grief.

So you would be saying the same thing if Saban had fine the same? This feels like '' the process'', not like the way we should treat the Auburn family.

Intercollegiate athletics aren't some rec league "everybody plays" deal. The only reason we haven't been able to "process" players on the football team is because our numbers have been too low. As soon as the numbers get up, we'll be processing them just like EVERYBODY else does at this level. These kids have reached the point where they have to fish or cut bait. The bait cutters need to go so they can be replaced with guys that might be productive. That's how this world works.

Thanks Mikey!

IMO the "Family" moto often times goes overboard where it pertains to Auburn athletics. Some fans/AU supporters take a holier than thou approach in an effort to put AU on a pedestal above the likes of uat/saban's program. In all honesty most elite programs operate the same - and just like real life "Family" members, kids and adults alike need a kick in the ass and be sent packin from time to time.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mickey, I hope you are not an Auburn alumni. you obviously are not a leader in your business. it is the coaches prerogative(that means decision), of who plays and who doesn't. If you don't want certain players(or employees in a business) , you let them go quietly and don't give a grand stand press conference , preferably in the summer or after fall practice. to do it publicly is obviously a bully tactic to embarrass the departing players and intimidate those left. a disgusting display of power. most of those kids on team get very little if any scholarship money. they are playing because they love auburn baseball and their teammates. they are going to school and spending at least 20 to 30 hours a week at the field. I admire all the players on the team and their contribution to auburn baseball.

It's a new day and we got a rough, tough and abrasive guy running this baseball team.

You obviously don't know much about Coach Galloway's history or this wouldn't have surprised or offended you. The guy has a history of being an ass - Jay Jacobs knew that when he brought him in for an interview and he knew it when he hired him.

they are playing because they love auburn baseball and their teammates.

You're out of your mind. I've been in that locker room. The guys getting scholarship money to play in the SEC are playing mostly for one reason.

Mickey, I hope you are not an Auburn alumni. you obviously are not a leader in your business. it is the coaches prerogative(that means decision), of who plays and who doesn't. If you don't want certain players(or employees in a business) , you let them go quietly and don't give a grand stand press conference , preferably in the summer or after fall practice. to do it publicly is obviously a bully tactic to embarrass the departing players and intimidate those left. a disgusting display of power. most of those kids on team get very little if any scholarship money. they are playing because they love auburn baseball and their teammates. they are going to school and spending at least 20 to 30 hours a week at the field. I admire all the players on the team and their contribution to auburn baseball.

Don't question a poster's alumni status or Auburn revelry because you disagree with his thought process. Plus it's cute how you define things for us but can't get his name right.

Auburn baseball is a means to an end for these guys. Some love Auburn, most love baseball. Cutting three low production potentially disinterested seniors to prove a point is a well calculated move IMHO. Coach saw that fire wasn't there and they weren't buying in. The other two opted to leave, Hunter made this harder on himself.

I think its bad form to call out a player after you have already kicked him off the team. Did you ever hear Malzahn say anything bad about the players he kicked off the team last year? No, because he is a great coach and a classy guy. Sunny may be a great coach but I think this is a strike against how "classy" of a man he is. Time will tell if this is just a blip on the radar or if we'll all come to realize we hired a jerk for a baseball coach.

I don't think Sonny is going to be a steady, middle of the road guy. Anybody that read his article in ITAT can see how positive he already feels about Auburn. Now this shows up on the other side. I think we have a volatile, active guy that has a history of putting winning teams on the field. This may be one of those situations where we have to take the bitter with the sweet.

I don't think Sonny is going to be a steady, middle of the road guy. Anybody that read his article in ITAT can see how positive he already feels about Auburn. Now this shows up on the other side. I think we have a volatile, active guy that has a history of putting winning teams on the field. This may be one of those situations where we have to take the bitter with the sweet.

Agree with your assessment. BTW, there is a free article on AUC..."it had to be done"....quote from an AU player. I don't think many people are questioning the coach's right to dismiss the players...and this might not be the last ones since he had 8 of them under the microscope.....just the next time the ax falls, most of us would prefer not to see it blown all over the state media.

Read the AUC article and sounds from that article that this wasn`t unexpected and players understood. Coach himself said this was a bumpy tough way to have it happen and he wasn't proud of the way it came down but things had to be done. Sorry for the players and hope there isn`t much more to come. Lets go win some games now.

I think its bad form to call out a player after you have already kicked him off the team. Did you ever hear Malzahn say anything bad about the players he kicked off the team last year? No, because he is a great coach and a classy guy. Sunny may be a great coach but I think this is a strike against how "classy" of a man he is. Time will tell if this is just a blip on the radar or if we'll all come to realize we hired a jerk for a baseball coach.

That's it exactly.

Remember that the coach you guys are blasting is family just as those players are.

Coaches need a little tough love every now and then too...he's an adult and should be able to learn from it....just like his players.

Coaches need a little tough love every now and then too...he's an adult and should be able to learn from it....just like his players.

I suppose he will be at the golf outing today, if so I'll give him a real tough hug from his AUFamily.

I suppose he will be at the golf outing today, if so I'll give him a real tough hug from his AUFamily.

That would be nice...just hope you are not his partner in an alternate shot format....you leave him in a sand trap and he will fire your butt before you can blink :)

just some observations on the young season. this team has the same core of hitters from last year(now missing cooper, wacker and savage), but we have picked up grier and Thompson.... that team fought and scratched down the stretch and went 6-3(took the series from 3 regional teams---Ole Miss, Florida, and Arkansas.) during May in SEC play. they scored an average of 5.5 runs per game in those games and were one out away from making a regional in my opinion. The 9th inning loss to Florida with a big lead in the 9th inning with two outs was devastating. Fast forward to this past fall and the team seemed to be on the right track according to coach Golloway. I don't have his comments in front of me, but he was very happy with the team as I recall and had no chemistry issues. Fast forward to the spring and coach G runs his mouth about being 19-0 prior to SEC play and gonna take 2 of 3 from Texas A&M when they come to Auburn. I like a confident coach as much as anyone, but its just not a good idea to say this. particularly in the SEC, coach G needs to realize he's not in Oklahoma anymore. The excuse making started after the OSU loss. I believe the coach became unhinged after he realized the team was not going to be 19-0. he proceeded to dog cuss all the players after the game for an hour using MF liberally while his young son was in the huddle....hmmmm... Then the next week he blames the pitching coach for pitch calling, the hitting coach for plate approach, the seniors for not leading, the third base coach for getting all our runners gunned out(wait a minute, that would be coach G who was the third base coach,) correction---he didn't blame himself....now he has moved to the dugout to improve dugout morale..hahahaha. finally he blamed an outfielder for making an aggressive play on a ball giving maximum effort(which coach G is promoting, aggressive play). then he blames the outfielder for not backing up a Yak error(cant blame yak cause coach doesn't have someone to replace him). finally he blames the team chemistry and selects three players to run off---these same three players were part of that great run in the SEC last May. instead of doing it quietly, he pronounces to the world that they are bad apples( a bully move to embarrass those kids that gave their all for the program and also serves to let his remaining players know that their names will be run through the mud if he deems it appropriate)...I have no problem with a coach getting "his guys" to be on team, but I do have a problem publicly running these departing kids names into the ground. so far I have seen too much small ball...you have our fastest runner on second with no outs and we are down by 4 I believe, and we bunt him to third. starting pitchers left in the game too long(camp) with no one warming up in the bullpen. and runners being thrown out at a record pace. one last thing, I was very disappointed to see Blake throw his friends and former teammates under the bus with his comments yesterday.

This episode may be Sunny borrowing from that scene in "Major League" where the coach gives the team a wake up call hissy fit of throwing bats and labelling them "lolligaggers". Understanding the excellent, albeit historically abbrasive bill of goods we bought from Okie, I hope to have coaches that are winners in many ways. Getting the Ws with class is ideal, yes?

This episode may be Sunny borrowing from that scene in "Major League" where the coach gives the team a wake up call hissy fit of throwing bats and labelling them "lolligaggers". Understanding the excellent, albeit historically abbrasive bill of goods we bought from Okie, I hope to have coaches that are winners in many ways. Getting the Ws with class is ideal, yes?

Who knows what Sunny's motive is...and he doesn't want the players to know either I expect. Maybe he is just an ass...or maybe he wanted to make sure that the players are taking him seriously....and that there will be consequences for those who fail to do so.

For certain he got people's attention.....now let's see if that works.

Here's a thought ... If all the players are pissed at Galloway then they will have something to rally together about.

Team chemistry amongst players ... Don't have to like the coach but do need to do what he says. Folks may hate what he's doing, but he has a proven record and I'm going to give him time to shape the team his way.

It is apparent that paws did not have thes kids playing consistently w fire. I mentioned that last year. Did not seem to be enough fight last year. Sat/sun showed some piss and vinegar. Guess we will see if it sustains.

I'm a senior at Columbus High School in Columbus, Georgia. A school that's won Baseball state championships for years. We won back to back to back State Titles in 2010-2011-2012. Frank Thomas went here in 86? We've had the same coach, Bobby Howard since 83. He's one of the biggest asses I've ever met, but the team is successful BECAUSE of how hard he is on them. Let Galloway do what he wants, let him be an ass. Maybe it'll whip our Baseball team back into shape.

The same would have been said about my high school coach, the late and great Sammy Dunn at Vestavia when I played for him. He changed significantly over the years, but was always a ferocious competitor on the field and never (I mean never) accepted less than the best mentally from his teams. Focus and commitment are not a function of talent.

• 2 weeks later...

A true leader does NOT call out student athletes publicly and embarrass them with non truths or half truths

A true leader doesn't give his player a true a$$ whooping on national television. But hey, it was Saban. He can do anything he wants right? I'm glad Galloway is here to bring our program back. He has a winning track record, our current players do not. Judge him later.

Archived