3 players no longer with team

I understand those of you who disagree with the way CSG has handle this, but as a former college baseball player I feel better about our program going forward.

Yesterday I was a little disturbed these guys left the team after a rough start, but after reading CSG met with 8 players and 3 decided to leave, I believe it was more a mutual parting of the ways.

I agree. Although one of them was actually dismissed by CSG

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every new coach goes through a period of making the team his own. This usually develops into players leaving. We brought in a winning coach to propel our team to greatness. I think he knows what he's doing and is a proven winner. If some players get their feelings hurt, that's life. Coach has to coach his way. I support him.

I understand "his" way about small ball and why some players might have problems with it....but that is the player's problem to deal with....adapt or move on....his way or the highway...and that's fine with me.

But what else does "his" way" include? "feelings hurt"....in private...that is just fine.....but what was gained by the comments he made in public...about guys who were no longer even on the team?

It is that I can't imagine Gus making a public statement blaming a football player for losing a game because of a missed tackle or whatever....which shows that you can win (or lose) without attacking individual players in a personal way.

This might be Sunny's way...but I'm not sure it's the Auburn way...which is about family and stuff like that as you may recall.

I agree. There is absolutely NOTHING to be gained by making these kinds of remarks publicly. I think it's classless.

It's pretty hypocritical to dog lil' nicky about doing the same thing....and then like Golloway for doing it.

I am not a fan of Sunny at the moment. He can win without running his mouth like that. There's no excuse for it.

Pretty one sided article from the hometown paper. How true it is, I don't know.

To me, it sounds like the new coach wanted to get some bad eggs off the team. (I don't know if that's true either. It's just what it looks like to me.)

During the series in Florida I had the chance to chat with an AU pitcher for several minutes prior to one of the team's practices. A very nice young man..... I asked about how things were going with the new coach, etc. He said that got along well...liked him..."because he stood up for the players": which was made in response to a comment I made about an earlier interview when SG said this was his team and he was not going to make excuses about waiting for his players to make an impact.

Would love to have that same conversation with the player after the recent dismissals. I bet this caught everyone off guard. It will be interesting to watch the young guy who is an important factor in this year's team...to see what develops.

Sometimes guys need to know that if you don't bring your A game every night, you could be replaced. Nothing will make you focus more than knowing you could be let go. These guys aren't in tee ball anymore. SG seems to be preparing these guys for the harsh reality of living in this world. Tough love and high expectations aren't always bad.

Yep. Check out the lack of character this coach displayed at Oklahoma. Very disappointed this coach is now representing the Auburn family. Let's see who he blames when the next loss occurs.

Do any of you live in this world? Or do you live in fantasy land where everybody is a winner and gets a trophy? Good grief.

+1

s

Do any of you live in this world? Or do you live in fantasy land where everybody is a winner and gets a trophy? Good grief.

This wasn't about winning trophies...it is about respect....and IMO about a coach needlessly calling out some guys who were no longer on the team and embarrassing them for no good reason.

Why not just call them in and tell them the team is going a different direction and wish them well...and move on. That was all that was necessary and there was no point in savaging them in a press release afterward or blaming one of them for the loss. Sounded like Nick S did with a couple of his players after the Iron Bowl.

JMO but anyone who thinks the coach handled the dismissal of these players correctly.....boy... I sure pity anyone that works for you.

A true leader does NOT call out student athletes publicly and embarrass them with non truths or half truths

A nighthawk44 by any other name still flies the same. Next start spewing about how much better Coach P. was and you'll be right back on track.

So you would be saying the same thing if Saban had fine the same? This feels like '' the process'', not like the way we should treat the Auburn family.

Why not just call them in and tell them the team is going a different direction and wish them well...and move on. That was all that was necessary and there was no point in savaging them in a press release afterward or blaming one of them for the loss.

2j44ro1.jpg

So you would be saying the same thing if Saban had fine the same? This feels like '' the process'', not like the way we should treat the Auburn family.

So I guess you are no Gus Malzahn fan.

"There are a couple of other guys we talked to that might be on the bubble but now understand you are not entitled to play," Golloway said. "If you are not going to treat it like an honor and privilege and represent it the right way, you don't need to be a part of it." - Sunny Golloway

I'm pretty sure he's not playing, act accordingly.

http://ads.al.com/Re...=Sunny Golloway

Pretty one sided article from the hometown paper. How true it is, I don't know.

To me, it sounds like the new coach wanted to get some bad eggs off the team. (I don't know if that's true either. It's just what it looks like to me.)

No doubt this was one sided. Posted because this article is what prompted me to visit the baseball board. I wanted to get both sides. I don't know enough about this guy to have an opinion. I do know that it only takes 1or2 players to effect a team negatively. I saw that last year with my daughter's softball team. What should have been a good season,was a disaster. The coach isn't wrong. Even though I don't like how public this has been handled, if he knew players were going to attack with the press, maybe he counteracted.

I guess most on here have read both articles and just like everything else there are 3 sides to a story. CG's side, the player's side and the untold part that lies somewhere in the middle. The man was hired to change the culture of baseball at Auburn. Some people simply do not like change or they are not willing to adapt. I have no idea what transpired in the meeting but I would be willing to bet that it was not the first conversation about expectations and effort. I don't agree with the public airing out of dirty laundry anymore than most people but I am sure that everyone on here has probably handled something in an inappropriate way before and would do it differently if they could. If this becomes a pattern them we have a problem but for now I am not going to judge Coach Golloway on this incident alone.

AU baseball was deadass last and was at the bottom of the barrel last season - It's a new day for AU baseball, anything goes.

If folks had just done a little research on CSG's history, they'd know in advance not to be shocked by his approach to his team or his public airing of the circumstances. CSG already had an established "pattern" before he came to AU and Jay Jacobs was perfectly fine with it or he wouldn't have hired him.

Intercollegiate athletics aren't some rec league "everybody plays" deal. The only reason we haven't been able to "process" players on the football team is because our numbers have been too low. As soon as the numbers get up, we'll be processing them just like EVERYBODY else does at this level. These kids have reached the point where they have to fish or cut bait. The bait cutters need to go so they can be replaced with guys that might be productive. That's how this world works.

Mickey, I hope you are not an Auburn alumni. you obviously are not a leader in your business. it is the coaches prerogative(that means decision), of who plays and who doesn't. If you don't want certain players(or employees in a business) , you let them go quietly and don't give a grand stand press conference , preferably in the summer or after fall practice. to do it publicly is obviously a bully tactic to embarrass the departing players and intimidate those left. a disgusting display of power. most of those kids on team get very little if any scholarship money. they are playing because they love auburn baseball and their teammates. they are going to school and spending at least 20 to 30 hours a week at the field. I admire all the players on the team and their contribution to auburn baseball.

Archived