Baseball vs. Missouri - Game 2

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another double steal attempt in the 8th. I'm not digging the decisions on the base paths. Pretty huge setback on the road to Omaha this week and AU has been abysmal in game 3s.

This is the 2nd straight game that he's tried a double steal and failed... What is this man thinking?!? There's no way we should have lost these first two games. This is ridiculous!

The double steal in the first game worked everyone, it was a bad call by the ump. Don't fault sunny for that. I didn't get to see the game tonight but reading the comments I felt the need to specify.

The Mizzou coach also killed a potential big inning by bunting runners from 1st and 2nd to 2nd and 3rd. I'd like to think that indicates a holdover from Big-12 days, but I've seen us do a lot of similar things in the past three years too.

Normally, a manager takes such chances when he's pretty sure his next two or three hitters aren't likely to knock 'em in. Galloway knows his team's capabilities better than anyone else and I'm going to give him a chance to get another year's recruits on the squad before I unload on him too much.

Sometimes I think managers call such things because they think it makes them look smart. It doesn't, even when it works.

The double steal in the first game worked everyone, it was a bad call by the ump. Don't fault sunny for that. I didn't get to see the game tonight but reading the comments I felt the need to specify.

It didn't work. The out was called and it killed the momentum of that inning. Regardless of whether the ump made the wrong call or not, it wasn't a given that Tella was going to be safe this time either. It was the wrong decision in both games but both losses were more than just those two awful double steals. Hitting is really, really poor right now. Not many guys are even getting good wood on the ball. Right now, AU has the pitching to get to the tournament, but hitting, fielding, and base running are all D2 level.

It didn't work. The out was called and it killed the momentum of that inning. Regardless of whether the ump made the wrong call or not, it wasn't a given that Tella was going to be safe this time either. It was the wrong decision in both games but both losses were more than just those two awful double steals. Hitting is really, really poor right now. Not many guys are even getting good wood on the ball. Right now, AU has the pitching to get to the tournament, but hitting, fielding, and base running are all D2 level.

Bad as AU hitting seems, AU is #4 in the SEC in team batting. Granted it's skewed by four or five guys but on the other hand we have had about as many people thrown out on the basepaths as the next two teams combined. If someone says...that' Sunny's way of doing things',,,,I am fine with that...but to try and excuse this high risk base running on the basis of 'poor hitting" ....I'm just not convinced. We don't have anyone who is fast enough or just a good enough baserunner to steal when everyone is expecting it...and with AU's propensity steal, the defense is rarely caught off guard...not to mention the many players thrown out trying to stretch another base. All of that usually means we have 2 outs by the time we get a guy in scoring position and odds are 1 in 4 or so...that any particular batter will then get a hit and probably less than 1 in 4 that two consecutive batters will get hits. And what's that old baseball adage..."never make the last out of an inning at third base".

So it appears to me that CSG is rolling the dice that his hitters and base runners can beat the odds when he pulls these double steals....betting that the chance of a successful double steal is higher than the odds of the man at the plate getting a hit to drive in a run. He's mostly rolling snake eyes so far this year.

I understand this is Sunny's way of doing things and it's his team...but baseball is a game of odds and stats and match-ups....and the odds seem to be going against AU much of the time.

Archived