So, how's that repeal effort working out for you, Republicans?

RunInRed

I have 2 friends that signed up. One pays $9/month and the other pays $7/month. Of the 7million - I wonder how many are paying like them. It will take a lot more than this to cover the costs.

I dont have any further info as far as if they pay deductibles or how much a co-pay is for them. In any case - both were previously uninsured meaning that they are contributing far less than what they will actually cost. This is a fundamental problem. It is also the reason this relies on 100% participation. The population of Alabama is roughly 5 million. We have 50 states. 7 million is no mile stone for healthcare.

What are you saying here? I don't get it.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 2 friends that signed up. One pays $9/month and the other pays $7/month. Of the 7million - I wonder how many are paying like them. It will take a lot more than this to cover the costs.

I dont have any further info as far as if they pay deductibles or how much a co-pay is for them. In any case - both were previously uninsured meaning that they are contributing far less than what they will actually cost. This is a fundamental problem. It is also the reason this relies on 100% participation. The population of Alabama is roughly 5 million. We have 50 states. 7 million is no mile stone for healthcare.

I can loan you my calculator Homey. :dunno:

I can loan you my calculator Homey. :dunno:

Well, if you can explain it, then do so. Please.

Allow me to explain. They are paying - well - let's just say $10/month each. They are new to healthcare system meaning that previously they were not a burden (take that word lightly) on the system. If one of them goes to the Dentist for a crown that will cost roughly $2000 (this is actually happening in one of their cases). Allowing no other visits to any healthcare professional for the rest of the year ----- $2000 - ($10*12months) - $300 = $1580

The $300 is an assumed deductible payment in the amount I had to pay about 1 year ago. Where is this money made up? What I am saying is we are about to let millions of people into a system who are not going to contribute nearly enough putting the burden elsewhere. This is why the admin needs 100% participation. Otherwise we come up with a shortfall in the system. They are using our money to gamble that they can collect enough to break even on the costs. Currently - we have 7million people "supporting" each other. I have an example of 2 people who are nothing but a guaranteed burden (cost to the system) and will not contribute enough to cover themselves, let alone anyone else.

Edit: Imagine the costs for someone making little money who has a per-existing condition that requires major medical work. A big part of this plan requires America to be pretty damn healthy. Hence the push for free preventative screenings/soda bans/push for healthy school lunch choices/death panels (or whatever they are) for the elderly (the most expensive part of our healthcare system). The preventative screenings and such are a good thing regardless of political agenda - but they need people paying these high premiums to avoid using the healthcare system for the above reasons.

Ruh roh ...

Obamacare cutting medical costs, keeping inflation low and making bonds a better deal, experts say

Obamacare is pushing down healthcare costs, reining in inflation and winning converts among investors in U.S. Treasuries, Bloomberg Businessweek reports.

While problems with the program’s launch and increases in some people’s premiums have captured headlines, lesser-known provisions of the law have cut Medicare payments to under-performing hospitals and used incentives to cut readmission rates and reduce the use of unnecessarily expensive procedures.

Those changes are in part responsible for the slowest increase in healthcare costs since the Truman administration, experts said. Because healthcare costs are a major contributor to inflation, the slowdown is likely to keep inflation low and make bonds a better deal.

“The ACA is a very important driver” of lower prices and is helping create disinflationary expectations, Carlos Pro, New York-based interest-rate strategist at Credit Suisse Group AG, told Bloomberg.

Kathy Jones, a New York-based fixed-income strategist at Charles Schwab & Co., said the law is good news for bond buyers and the effect on inflation may continue “longer-term.”

http://blog.al.com/w...dical_cost.html

Ruh roh ...

Obamacare cutting medical costs, keeping inflation low and making bonds a better deal, experts say

Obamacare is pushing down healthcare costs, reining in inflation and winning converts among investors in U.S. Treasuries, Bloomberg Businessweek reports.

While problems with the program’s launch and increases in some people’s premiums have captured headlines, lesser-known provisions of the law have cut Medicare payments to under-performing hospitals and used incentives to cut readmission rates and reduce the use of unnecessarily expensive procedures.

Those changes are in part responsible for the slowest increase in healthcare costs since the Truman administration, experts said. Because healthcare costs are a major contributor to inflation, the slowdown is likely to keep inflation low and make bonds a better deal.

“The ACA is a very important driver” of lower prices and is helping create disinflationary expectations, Carlos Pro, New York-based interest-rate strategist at Credit Suisse Group AG, told Bloomberg.

Kathy Jones, a New York-based fixed-income strategist at Charles Schwab & Co., said the law is good news for bond buyers and the effect on inflation may continue “longer-term.”

Doesn't change a thing with me. The costs are spread around and some will pay a heavy price for those who won't.

Ruh roh ...

I guess the 64 thousand dollar question for me is..How is it improving healthcare? I mean it is a healthcare law, right? Was it passed to improve bond yields or deliver healthcare to uninsured?

So if it is pushing down healthcare costs - why am I going to pay $1200 more in premiums - have to buy a separate eye and dental plan (About $15 more per month) - pay a higher deductible - higher out-of-pocket expense - higher co-pay - and more for my prescriptions? This is just state level insurance. My neighbor who works for the county got crucified. And go ahead - go buy up all the bonds you want! See just how much you make over the next 20 years! lol

They can beat their chest all they want about keeping inflation low. We just had prices jacked up by ridiculous sums. How can that just be ignored? More taxes for the producers in the medical field and we are to act like those costs wont be passed down? Do you really need an article to tell you how much more/less you are paying?

And WTH is a "disinflationary expectation"? The ACA better do a whole lot more than give me a F*$#^%& warm and fuzzy expectation! lol

PS - just looked at my paystub from today and I am paying $10 month than this time last month. Make that $1320 more in premiums.

So if it is pushing down healthcare costs - why am I going to pay $1200 more in premiums - have to buy a separate eye and dental plan (About $15 more per month) - pay a higher deductible - higher out-of-pocket expense - higher co-pay - and more for my prescriptions? This is just state level insurance. My neighbor who works for the county got crucified. And go ahead - go buy up all the bonds you want! See just how much you make over the next 20 years! lol

They can beat their chest all they want about keeping inflation low. We just had prices jacked up by ridiculous sums. How can that just be ignored? More taxes for the producers in the medical field and we are to act like those costs wont be passed down? Do you really need an article to tell you how much more/less you are paying?

And WTH is a "disinflationary expectation"? The ACA better do a whole lot more than give me a F*$#^%& warm and fuzzy expectation! lol

You see, the left conveniently categorizes your expenses as insurance expenses, not healthcare expenses. Clever how they do that. Everyone who had a policy cancelled, if not paying higher premiums, most are, are at the minimum paying much higher deductibles.

As I have pointed out in previous posts, the primary beneficiaries of this law are the insurance, technology and pharmaceutical companies. Patients pay more and doctors are paid less. Helluva a way to rein in costs, dontcha think?

As an after thought, I really dont think this is much to crow about here. What this report is saying is that doctors and hospitals are going to receive less compensation, the networks are going to be narrower and many doctors are not even going to accept it thus reducing overall costs. Its surprising this is being cheered by anyone

Widows Dropped from Health Care Due to Obamacare in Madison County

http://whnt.com/2014...verage-dilemma/

http://www.weeklysta...ama_786961.html

And there's this which is always a good way to save on healthcare costs - just break the promises of O-care coverage when purchased and refuse it when needed

http://www.breitbart...s-Drops-Doctors

Uninsured rates dropped more in states that embraced Obamacare ...

jjnjgwxetkc_fjkqpvfnpg.png

http://www.gallup.co...health-law.aspx

Nice job, Governor Bentley.

You must enjoy playing the role of the mole in whack-a-mole. Are you more invested in the cost of care or the quality of care? Does it matter to you that some people who actually bought ObamaCare cant find a doctor who accepts it?

For every one story that tries to put a postive spin on this debacle, there are many more stories about its failures.

http://www.weeklysta...ama_786961.html

http://www.breitbart...s-Drops-Doctors

Do you not see how it might be easier to contain costs when coverages are being denied and policies dropped? Or do these people not matter? Do you subscribe to the theory that we're all equal but some people are just more equal than others?

The rates may be lower is some states but their taxpayers will ultimately pay the price when they have to pick up Medicare/Medicaid cost after receiving fed subsidies for the time being. Thank you Gov. Bentley for having this insight.

Ruh roh ...

A blog on al.com? LOL. Maybe this will help explain it. "AL.com announces partnership with leftist group masquerading as ‘investigative journalists’" http://mediaaccountability.org/2014/03/alabama-media-group-teams-environmentalist-ca-group/

Archived