So, how's that repeal effort working out for you, Republicans?

RunInRed

I believe it is far too premature to call it a success or failure. Still a long way to go. To declare success or failure is just partisan rhetoric at this point.

It's a disaster. Wait longer and it's going to be a worse disaster.

The reason waiting will only make it worse is because the ones forcing it on the people don't really even care if it works or not. They only care about getting re-elected. As long as they can keep talking about what they are "going to do," they don't have to do ANYTHING and people will keep voting for them. Pass a law then illegally change it 30+ times in order to postpone all the really bad stuff until after the next election. How can any adult with any sense whatsoever NOT see this??

How long did Social Security take to "roll out"?

When did the computer hit the market?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

War for oil?

The Kurds?

Remove Saddam?

Are you people on dope?

We went to war because they had weapons of mass destruction and ties to Al Queda. Both of which turned out to be lies. Thank you Dick Cheney.

And Donald Rumsfeld

I believe it is far too premature to call it a success or failure. Still a long way to go. To declare success or failure is just partisan rhetoric at this point.

The reason waiting will only make it worse is because the ones forcing it on the people don't really even care if it works or not. They only care about getting re-elected. As long as they can keep talking about what they are "going to do," they don't have to do ANYTHING and people will keep voting for them. Pass a law then illegally change it 30+ times in order to postpone all the really bad stuff until after the next election. How can any adult with any sense whatsoever NOT see this??

When did computers start thinking?

Here we are in 2014, and yet this administration, hell bent on transforming our nation, can't set up a website that works in three years after spending billions of dollars of our hard earned money to create this wonderful system called the Affordable...cough, cough, Care Act.

Party first, right?

Here we are in 2014, and yet this administration, hell bent on transforming our nation, can't set up a website that works in three years after spending billions of dollars of our hard earned money to create this wonderful system called the Affordable...cough, cough, Care Act.

Party first, right?

You lost me :dunno:

I figured you were going to make technical excuses for the slow roll out of SS thus disarming my SNAFU point on the subject. I already had my response formulated.

I think we can all agree ACA is a step. Question is, in which direction?

1936 :cool:

Zing! That was close but a little over my head. Don't get it. :dunno:

Party first, right?

You lost me :dunno:/>

I figured you were going to make technical excuses for the slow roll out of SS thus disarming my SNAFU point on the subject. I already had my response formulated.

Social Security isn't the same as the ACA so it's not fair to compare the two anyway. Honestly, the Government has screwed that up as well so the proof is in the pudding.

Party first, right?

Social Security isn't the same as the ACA so it's not fair to compare the two anyway. Honestly, the Government has screwed that up as well so the proof is in the pudding.

Well, if not SS, is there anything in our history to compare it to?

Party first, right?

About the closet thing to it would be a Pearl Harbor or 911 once a week.

Actually, I would compare this to the creation of the US Department of Education taking over an education system that was working just fine without them. Today we have the DOE to thank for the low status of teachers in society, students who can't think for themselves, liberalism embedded in every aspect of schools, educational system that is dominated by the NEA (the goal of whom is to get people raises rather than putting those resources into the classrooms and improving schools...make $70k and have mice running through your building), and a system that cares more about testing students than about teaching them anything.

I fear that in 50 years, doctors will be relegated to the status of teachers. The government will be the "expert" on your health, not the doctor that knows you.

It's scary stuff if you put it in that context.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the first computer was born in 1936. So technically, the date they began thinking.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the first computer was born in 1936. So technically, the date they began thinking.

Go forward about a decade for the first electronic computer. Or go back about a century for the analytical engine. If we're being really picky, go back to 100 BC for the Antikythera mechanism. :dunno:

Or just go with the colloquial use from a century ago when the term applied to people.

Go forward about a decade for the first electronic computer. Or go back about a century for the analytical engine. If we're being really picky, go back to 100 BC for the Antikythera mechanism. :dunno:

Or just go with the colloquial use from a century ago when the term applied to people.

Thanks Ben. I stand corrected. Trust me, it was many, many years ago when I began a programming career. So many years ago I can't recall the exact year either. LOL. Just kidding, but I ain't telling. :-\

Thanks Ben. I stand corrected. Trust me, it was many, many years ago when I began a programming career. So many years ago I can't recall the exact year either. LOL. Just kidding, but I ain't telling. :-\/

No problem. I was in a pedantic mood. ;)

Actually, I would compare this to the creation of the US Department of Education taking over an education system that was working just fine without them. Today we have the DOE to thank for the low status of teachers in society, students who can't think for themselves, liberalism embedded in every aspect of schools, educational system that is dominated by the NEA (the goal of whom is to get people raises rather than putting those resources into the classrooms and improving schools...make $70k and have mice running through your building), and a system that cares more about testing students than about teaching them anything.

I fear that in 50 years, doctors will be relegated to the status of teachers. The government will be the "expert" on your health, not the doctor that knows you.

It's scary stuff if you put it in that context.

It certainly is!

But I didn't realize our healthcare insurance system was working so well prior to ACA. That changes everything! :-\

I wouldn't call that "thinking" (technically speaking.) Unless you believe calculators "think".

22 pages and still going

But I didn't realize our healthcare insurance system was working so well prior to ACA. That changes everything! :-\

We destroyed our medical system to expand Medicaid. We are so smart.

22 pages and still going

We destroyed it for expanding Medicaid. We are so smart.

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Can you explain?

"But I didn't realize our healthcare insurance system was working so well prior to ACA. That changes everything!"

I dont know. How well it was working is certainly a issue of debate and clearly you wish to debate it.

Lets look at a couple of facts. 85% of the people in America had insurance they were happy with, again 85%. Were there citizens with no coverage? Of course but guess what? When this law is fully implemented the CBO estimates there will still be 31 million uninsured. Given the law was "sold" to insure the uninsured, is the step that's been taken justified by the havoc its reeked in the individual market? I would say, NO, it has not.

Now I realize there were people with pre-existing conditions who couldn't get insurance. The question one must ask, however, is what they need really insurance?I would submit that is more of a welfare entitlement than insurance. Nothing is going to be perfect but we had the best system in the world when measuring networks of care and research and development. O-Care seemed to operate on the premise, if its not broken break it, because it caused the cancellation of 6.2 million policies and when comparing the net to net on insureds.....it insured < 900,000 people who didn't already have insurance after spending a trillion dollars to get it off the ground. In the meantime people are being hurt by it ie. losing jobs, losing hours and companies are not hiring. I just saw the unemployment of 18 to 29 year olds is 15.5% when factoring in those who have given up looking for a job.

In the end, O-Care is just another govt boondoggle and proof positive the govt cannot and should not try to do what is best left to the private sector. The collateral damage associated with this law has been widespread and well documented. Mr Hope and Change has delivered instead an irresponsible squandering of public trust and profligate waste of tax payer money in passing a law by lying to the American people.

I think THIS is interesting:

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/melanie-hunter/it-s-loss-md-73k-lose-insurance-60k-enroll-exchange

Sure Ben but I haven't talked to you. What does your hospital think?

Sorry, Proud. Forgot to answer.

I can't answer for the hospital as a whole, but I can say we would have appreciated the Medicaid expansion. Within my department the approval rate is somewhere along the lines of 70% (7/10).

RuninRed usually does not seem mean-spirited. I guess he was having a bad day when he started this thread. I hope that today is better for him.

Archived