Arky game will be on the SEC Network @ 3 CT

ellitor

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Local providers await offer from ESPN on SEC Network

Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 5:52 pm | Updated: 7:11 pm, Fri Apr 25, 2014.

Justin Lee | Opelika-Auburn News | Twitter

While ESPN and Auburn University are encouraging college sports fans to contact TV providers demanding the upcoming SEC Network, some local providers have not been presented yet with an offer from ESPN to accept or reject.

Even though ESPN’s GetSECNetwork.com and AuburnTigers.com list providers that have not yet agreed to carry the network, that does not necessarily mean that those providers have rejected a deal to carry it – or have even been offered one.

June Owens, manager of marketing and communications at Opelika Power Service, said Thursday that while GetSECNetwork.com lists OPS as a provider that has not agreed to carry the network, it is likely only because OPS will not be given an offer to sign until this summer.

Owens said that she was “99.9-percent confident” that OPS will carry the SEC Network, which launches in August.

“Honestly, if we could sign it today, we would,” Owens said. “But you can’t sign what you don’t have. They truly have not presented it to us because our current agreement with them has not run out.”

Another local provider, WOW!, is in a similar situation, waiting for ESPN to begin negotiations with them, according to Dave Troxel, the vice president and general manager for WOW! in Auburn, Valley and Columbus, Ga.

“We haven’t talked yet,” Troxel said Friday. “We don’t know the specifics. But our intent and desire would be that we’ll work out a deal, because we definitely want to provide it to our customers.”

Representatives from Charter Communications could not immediately comment on the status of the company’s negotiations with ESPN, or its chances of carrying the SEC Network in the local area.

DirecTV has posted a statement in regards to the SEC Network in a question-and-answer section on its website.

“Contract talks happen on a different timetable with each TV provider, so unlike our competitors, we have really just begun our discussions and hope to have an update on status as we move closer to the network’s launch in August,” DirecTV’s statement reads.

GetSECNetwork.com features Dish and AT&T U-Verse prominently as two providers that have already reached an agreement to carry the network.

“I know that Dish is running the ads, and I guess that they were able to go ahead and do an agreement – which I find as interesting because nobody else really has,” Owens said. “But they’re not going to be the only game in town, I assure you.”

An ESPN panel at Foy Hall on April 18 comprised of ESPN broadcaster Joe Tessitore and ESPN’s vice president of production for college networks Stephanie Druley encouraged attendees to contact providers and demand the SEC Network, and visit GetSECNetwork.com.

“Basically they know that every time you hit that and want it, that gives them more reason to say, ‘This is what we can charge because this is how many people are demanding this channel,’” Owens said. “That’s just a marketing tool for them.”

continue reading

While ESPN and Auburn University are encouraging college sports fans to contact TV providers demanding the upcoming SEC Network, some local providers have not been presented yet with an offer from ESPN to accept or reject.

Even though ESPN’s GetSECNetwork.com and AuburnTigers.com list providers that have not yet agreed to carry the network, that does not necessarily mean that those providers have rejected a deal to carry it – or have even been offered one.

June Owens, manager of marketing and communications at Opelika Power Service, said Thursday that while GetSECNetwork.com lists OPS as a provider that has not agreed to carry the network, it is likely only because OPS will not be given an offer to sign until this summer.

Owens said that she was “99.9-percent confident” that OPS will carry the SEC Network, which launches in August.

“Honestly, if we could sign it today, we would,” Owens said. “But you can’t sign what you don’t have. They truly have not presented it to us because our current agreement with them has not run out.”

Another local provider, WOW!, is in a similar situation, waiting for ESPN to begin negotiations with them, according to Dave Troxel, the vice president and general manager for WOW! in Auburn, Valley and Columbus, Ga.

“We haven’t talked yet,” Troxel said Friday. “We don’t know the specifics. But our intent and desire would be that we’ll work out a deal, because we definitely want to provide it to our customers.”

Representatives from Charter Communications could not immediately comment on the status of the company’s negotiations with ESPN, or its chances of carrying the SEC Network in the local area.

DirecTV has posted a statement in regards to the SEC Network in a question-and-answer section on its website.

“Contract talks happen on a different timetable with each TV provider, so unlike our competitors, we have really just begun our discussions and hope to have an update on status as we move closer to the network’s launch in August,” DirecTV’s statement reads.

GetSECNetwork.com features Dish and AT&T U-Verse prominently as two providers that have already reached an agreement to carry the network.

“I know that Dish is running the ads, and I guess that they were able to go ahead and do an agreement – which I find as interesting because nobody else really has,” Owens said. “But they’re not going to be the only game in town, I assure you.”

An ESPN panel at Foy Hall on April 18 comprised of ESPN broadcaster Joe Tessitore and ESPN’s vice president of production for college networks Stephanie Druley encouraged attendees to contact providers and demand the SEC Network, and visit GetSECNetwork.com.

“Basically they know that every time you hit that and want it, that gives them more reason to say, ‘This is what we can charge because this is how many people are demanding this channel,’” Owens said. “That’s just a marketing tool for them.”

continue reading

This post should have it's own thread titled "Don't petition through getsecnetwork.com" or something to that affect. Then a blurb saying ESPN has likely not begun negotiations with your cable provider yet so they can drive up petitions through getsecnetwork.com,which will drive up the price ESPN demands your cable company, which ultimately comes out of your pockets through your cable bills.

The longer ESPN waits, the more urgency as the season approaches. Thus, the more leverage ESPN has.

continue reading

This post should have it's own thread titled "Don't petition through getsecnetwork.com" or something to that affect. Then a blurb saying ESPN has likely not begun negotiations with your cable provider yet so they can drive up petitions through getsecnetwork.com,which will drive up the price ESPN demands your cable company, which ultimately comes out of your pockets through your cable bills.

The longer ESPN waits to start negotiations, the more urgency to get a deal done with providers before the season starts. Thus, the more leverage ESPN has. ESPN is milking the heck out of this, and cable customers will be the cows.

The longer ESPN waits, the more urgency as the season approaches. Thus, the more leverage ESPN has.

continue reading

The longer ESPN waits to start negotiations, the more urgency to get a deal done with providers before the season starts. Thus, the more leverage ESPN has. ESPN is milking the heck out of this, and cable customers will be the cows.

Of course ....and ESPN is using its marketing opportunities on broadcast of other SEC events like baseball, spring football, etc....to urge SEC fans to pressure their cable providers.

It's just business of course...but the approach tells us a lot about ESPN. For one thing...they are using SEC fans to help them in their negotiations.....and while they neither love nor hate the SEC, they sure will screw SEC fans if they get the opportunity.

Yeah, all the ads about contacting your provider are designed to make sure everyone knows how much fans want to see SEC games...

ESPN already has a problem with the Longhorn network that they want to avoid happening again. Only a few cable networks have Longhorn outside Texas. Comcast and Direct TV do not have it at all.

ESPN really is gouging cable subscribers and those that do not watch sports much or all really get hit. The SEC Network will add to that cost.

These numbers per subscriber are 4 years old, they charge more now.

ESPN: $4

TNT: $.99

NFL Network: $.75

USA: $.55

ESPN2: $.54

CNN: $.51

FX: $.42

Sundance: $.25

AMC: $.23

Bravo: $.19

Comedy Central: $.14

BBC America: $.12

Food Network: $.08

PBS Kids: $.04

cable-sub-fees.png

Yeah, all the ads about contacting your provider are designed to make sure everyone knows how much fans want to see SEC games...

The thing is IMO, you can't just blame ESPN. Mike Slive is right in bed with these guys as are all the ADs who probably already have plans for all the money they expect this deal to bring to each school.

NONE of the promoters of this business deal are much concerned about the fans/viewers....and by that, I mean that none of them is going to lose any sleep over the amount that the SEC Network adds to your or my monthly cable or sat. charges.

The thing is IMO, you can't just blame ESPN. Mike Slive is right in bed with these guys as are all the ADs who probably already have plans for all the money they expect this deal to bring to each school.

NONE of the promoters of this business deal are much concerned about the fans/viewers....and by that, I mean that none of them is going to lose any sleep over the amount that the SEC Network adds to your or my monthly cable or sat. charges.

In case it was unclear to anyone (and I swear I don't mean that condescendingly), I wasn't just putting the blame on ESPN. The SEC wants the network to be a huge success, too; the more systems there are buying it, the more money they make...

In case it was unclear to anyone (and I swear I don't mean that condescendingly), I wasn't just putting the blame on ESPN. The SEC wants the network to be a huge success, too; the more systems there are buying it, the more money they make...

Understand.....I'm just saying that nobody is much concerned about the fans. ESPN and every school is attempting to use SEC fans as a lever to run up the fees that the SEC Network can charge the cable companies (assume you have gotten your e-mails from JJ) ...who can then mark it up and pass the cost to the consumer. As I noted earlier....it's just business ....like making newsprint ...and smells about the same to me.

I may be in the minority here, but I really don't care how much my cable provider charges me for the SEC Network. I want it and I am willing to pay a premium to get it, just like I pay for HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/NFL package, etc.

I may be in the minority here, but I really don't care how much my cable provider charges me for the SEC Network. I want it and I am willing to pay a premium to get it, just like I pay for HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/NFL package, etc.

I expect you might be in the majority...or close enough to it to satisfy the SEC Network...it's all about economics and the stuff we mostly slept through in EC101..about maximizing profit....where the demand and supply curves intersect at the highest point.

My point was....the SEC Network or even the SEC is not about giving as many fans as possible access to larger variety of sporting events on TV...it's about maximizing profits and rarely have I seen so many sheep act so gleeful about getting fleeced.

Unlike Keesler,....I do care how much I pay since I'm on a fixed income...but I will probably pay it anyway when the chips are down though my cable company has not sighed up...but they did just advise me they have dropped CSS which cuts me out of some SEC action. It's possible I guess that Charter is getting ready to make a swap in what they offer.

I expect you might be in the majority...or close enough to it to satisfy the SEC Network...it's all about economics and the stuff we mostly slept through in EC101..about maximizing profit....where the demand and supply curves intersect at the highest point.

My point was....the SEC Network or even the SEC is not about giving as many fans as possible access to larger variety of sporting events on TV...it's about maximizing profits and rarely have I seen so many sheep act so gleeful about getting fleeced.

Unlike Keesler,....I do care how much I pay since I'm on a fixed income...but I will probably pay it anyway when the chips are down though my cable company has not sighed up...but they did just advise me they have dropped CSS which cuts me out of some SEC action. It's possible I guess that Charter is getting ready to make a swap in what they offer.

I think CSS is shutting down (because of the SEC Network). So, goodbye 2004 Auburn/LSU in standard definition twice a week in the summer.

I think CSS is shutting down (because of the SEC Network). So, goodbye 2004 Auburn/LSU in standard definition twice a week in the summer.

That would be a reasonable trade but I've got it on HD and have watched the AU spring game in HD a half dozen times now...and of course I will miss their Friday night SEC baseball and the MSU vs AU baseball this Saturday since they pulled the plug today...a good 4 months before they might offer SEC Network.

Oh well...as I said, it's about the $$$$ and not so much about the fans.

Not sure where this though comes from. CBS still has another 10 or so years on their contract with the SEC to have the #1 choice of football games.

That would be a reasonable trade but I've got it on HD and have watched the AU spring game in HD a half dozen times now...and of course I will miss their Friday night SEC baseball and the MSU vs AU baseball this Saturday since they pulled the plug today...a good 4 months before they might offer SEC Network.

You won't miss much. In fact, I don't know about football but there will now be more broadcasts of AU basketball and baseball on espn3.com starting next year.

Not sure where this though comes from. CBS still has another 10 or so years on their contract with the SEC to have the #1 choice of football games.

CSS, not CBS, ell.

CSS, not CBS, ell.

Oops. lol

Saw on a 247 free article today that our favorite Arky coach LIKES playing against fast paced teams. Well, he gets his chance early this year.

I tried to paste it below, but was not able to. Here is the site:

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Arkansas-coach-Bret-Bielema-loves-playing-fast-paced-offenses-28403571

You won't miss much. In fact, I don't know about football but there will now be more broadcasts of AU basketball and baseball on espn3.com starting next year.

Problem is that my ESP does not have a deal with espn3 and most games are blacked out. I do have a bootleg address a friend lets me use sometime....he is in Oregon which never blacks out a southeast game. Oh...and espn3 picture quality is all over the place too.

As for CSS, they provided pretty good SEC support to our area and I hate to see it go.

Saw on a 247 free article today that our favorite Arky coach LIKES playing against fast paced teams. Well, he gets his chance early this year.

http://auburn.247spo...fenses-28403571

Oh baloney. He likes playing against fast paced teams when the makeup of the roster is not suited to such football, maybe, but if this were true then he wouldn't have been raising raising Cain about it for so long.

My favorite quote from the entire article:

“You try to simulate the speed,” he said. “We actually use two huddles to go against our defense and make sure they understand the pace of play that’s coming at them. Obviously, if we see any potential situations that could be harmful to our players, because we’re at practice, we can stop it. It’s really not the same in regards to game-like situations, but I think that gives us the biggest teaching tool we can have."

My favorite quote from the entire article:

“You try to simulate the speed,” he said. “We actually use two huddles to go against our defense and make sure they understand the pace of play that’s coming at them. Obviously, if we see any potential situations that could be harmful to our players, because we’re at practice, we can stop it. It’s really not the same in regards to game-like situations, but I think that gives us the biggest teaching tool we can have."

He's like a politician that has been given "talking points" and told to never miss an opportunity to get them into the interview...no matter what the subject of the interview.

Nobody is buying his story though and sooner or later he will figure it out and get back to coaching his team and not worrying so much about what other people are doing.

Meanwhile, he has at least 4 up-tempo HUNH games on his schedule this year so he better work on those gimmick practice schemes 'cause he will have plenty of opportunities after the AU game to play against HUNH teams.

The Auburn at Arkansas game on Aug. 30 is set for a 3 p.m. kickoff on the new SEC Network. The SEC Network, which will launch Aug. 14, will air a game featuring every football team in the SEC within the first four weeks of the 2014 season.
Link Info added in OP

Archived