2013 4* OL Austin Golson (Ole Miss signee & transferred to AU)

TigerProwl24

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

E, are you here? I remember when Golson was being recruited, he was a heavily recruited kid. He is from iyour home. What are your thoughts, should we take him?

He was a guy I was hoping we would get, but he wanted to get away from home IIRC. FSU fans were pretty upset he went to OM. Great player just hate that it took this kind of event to possibly get him in the O&B. I would assume a redshirt would be coming his way.

Profile from when he was a recruit (C/O 2013) ...

AUSTIN-GOLSON_10_25_150.JPG

Austin Golson, OT

Prattville, AL

6'6 / 284 / 5.16

Offers: Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida State, Kentucky, Mississippi, Mississippi State, North Carolina, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Stanford, Tennessee, USC and Wake Forest, among others.

247Sports: 4* (Top247 - No. 139)

Rivals: 4* (Rivals250 - No. 118)

Scout: 4*

Golson is a prototypical offensive tackle on the high school level and he looks like he has a bright future ahead of him. He has a nice slide kick in pass coverage, he fires off the ball well in run situations, he has good agility, and he has very good bend. He needs to continue to develop physically, continue to get stronger, and drive guys off the ball more consistently. He has the frame to carry 320 pounds well. - Chad Simmons

http://auburn.scout....c=1&nid=5031011

2013 U.S. Army All-American Bowl selection...Selected to participate in the 2012 Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic... Started 13 games on the varsity squad at Prattville High as a sophomore...Invited to "The Opening", an all-star summer prospect camp held on the Nike Campus.

http://247sports.com...in-Golson-11381

Thread: http://www.aufamily....age__hl__golson

would he be coming here to play tackle or guard?

If he comes here, IMO it will not matter. He will probably play guard if he is given immediate eligibility cause we are loosin Slade.

I'd imagine he redshirts this fall (whether he gets a waiver or not), and cross-trains at both guard and tackle similar to the way we trained Avery Young. There are a LOT of moving parts for the offensive line after this year. Frankly, we could lose Young or Coleman if they play well. Coleman is already 22. If he wins the LT job and shows really well during the year, I won't be surprised to see him turn pro. At 23, he'd be old for the draft. If Young stays healthy and improves, he's a possible early entrant as well.

We could only lose Dismukes and Slade, but we could have an OL rebuild on our hands. We need depth and talent, and Golson provides both. He could work inside (at Slade's RG spot) or outside (at RT).

I hate to see him have to leave Oxford for this reason, but hopefully he ends up at Auburn, gets to spend time with his family, and contributes the way he was going to at Ole Miss.

I remember when we were recruiting him the statement was made "There are a lot of good reasons why Golson needs to be farther away from Prattville than Auburn."

So what has changed?

I remember when we were recruiting him the statement was made "There are a lot of good reasons why Golson needs to be farther away from Prattville than Auburn."

So what has changed?

I understand his Mom may be sick.

So what has changed?

Maybe so. But what has illness got to do with some "horrible, unmentionable" circumstance involving him around Prattville?

So what has changed?

Maybe so. But what has illness got to do with some "horrible, unmentionable" circumstance involving him around Prattville?

You asked what has changed that would make him not need to be further from Prattville than Auburn. Not sure what it is you're not understanding about the answer.

Also, it's Golson's grandparents that have the health issues.

So what has changed?

I am not a coach but my two cents: He had his chance the first time around and went elsewhere. Let him follow the Corey Grant route if this is really where he wants to be...walk-on, pay your own way and EARN your scholly. JMTC

So what has changed?

I have no idea. If our coaches want him, I hope he did not burn any bridges. I remember FSU thinking they were getting him and AU seemed ot be out of it before he made his final choice.

So what has changed?

You asked what has changed that would make him not need to be further from Prattville than Auburn. Not sure what it is you're not understanding about the answer.

Yes, but what has changed that made him think Auburn was too close? I understand the sick part. is the other, whatever it was, gone or not, or did it even exist?

I'm with magnumtiger: Let him pay his own way and earn a scholarship if he wants to be here. There are a number of AU grads in that Golson family, I've even worked with two of them. They can put him in Auburn if that's where he wants to be. (If you can't tell, I was miffed at him when he didn't choose AU the first time. He was raised better than to go elsewhere.)

I don't know why he felt like he needed to get away from Prattville. But I think making him pay if he wants to come to Auburn would not be wise. As a matter of fact I would almost guarantee if we asked him to do it he would go elsewhere. Starting as a freshman for an SEC team is good enough for me unless there is some other baggage he has, especially if he has a sick parent. Our offense will be set for years if we keep getting good lineman to go along with the great RB's and QB's we have been getting.

So what has changed?

Yes, but what has changed that made him think Auburn was too close? I understand the sick part. is the other, whatever it was, gone or not, or did it even exist?

I'm with magnumtiger: Let him pay his own way and earn a scholarship if he wants to be here. There are a number of AU grads in that Golson family, I've even worked with two of them. They can put him in Auburn if that's where he wants to be. (If you can't tell, I was miffed at him when he didn't choose AU the first time. He was raised better than to go elsewhere.)

I seem to recall you often saying LBs should come to Auburn based heavily on early playing time. This kid played a lot last year and would be starting this year, while the same would not be true at Auburn. We may be replacing a lot of linemen after this season, and potentially driving away someone who could ease the transition out of spite would be a terrible decision

So what has changed?

It doesn't matter if that problem still exists. It is trumped by the fact that he now needs to be closer to home for family reasons. What is so hard about that to understand?

As for being miffed at him for not choosing Auburn, that kind of attitude is your cross to bear. Pretty sad.

So what has changed?

I am not a coach but my two cents: He had his chance the first time around and went elsewhere. Let him follow the Corey Grant route if this is really where he wants to be...walk-on, pay your own way and EARN your scholly. JMTC

I'm glad you're not a coach. If he wants to be here now, and can help the team, then I want him here.

So what has changed?

I seem to recall you often saying LBs should come to Auburn based heavily on early playing time. This kid played a lot last year and would be starting this year, while the same would not be true at Auburn. We may be replacing a lot of linemen after this season, and potentially driving away someone who could ease the transition out of spite would be a terrible decision

I was upset, as Mikey was, about Golson going elsewhere, especially with his family history. One offensive lineman, even a really good one isn't going to make or break what CGM and CJBG is building up front. If you want to come home prove it. "Show me the Money" as Cuba Gooding would say. If he gets his feelings hurt when asked to pay his own way, let him go to UAB and be a worldbeater in front of 8-10K every week playing UTEP :Sing:

So what has changed?

I was upset, as Mikey was, about Golson going elsewhere, especially with his family history. One offensive lineman, even a really good one isn't going to make or break what CGM and CJBG is building up front. If you want to come home prove it. "Show me the Money" as Cuba Gooding would say. If he gets his feelings hurt when asked to pay his own way, let him go to UAB and be a worldbeater in front of 8-10K every week playing UTEP :Sing:

I dont understand why we should make him pay his own way??? the kid was a top 100 kid that wanted to get out of dodge, simple as that. Are yall saying he should pay his way because we do not have enough scholarships...or because he chose to go elsewhere?

So what has changed?

I'm glad you're not a coach. If he wants to be here now, and can help the team, then I want him here.

reading comprehension is our friend: nowhere in that post did i say "I don't want him here" what I said is let him prove it if this is where he wants to be, just like Corey Grant had to prove it. Is that clearer for you?

reading comprehension is our friend: nowhere in that post did i say "I don't want him here" what I said is let him prove it if this is where he wants to be, just like Corey Grant had to prove it. Is that clearer for you?

Corey Grant had to sit out a year per NCAA rules.

So what has changed?

There are a few other schools besides UAB that are closer to Prattville than Jackson is. It would be a shame to see him succeed there instead of at Auburn just because a few people's feelings were hurt. Anyway his situation is more like Jay Prosch than Corey Grant, and letting him join the team seemed to work out

So what has changed?

Good Lord... Why does he need to prove anything? He wants to be at Auburn now, his reaching out to the coaches indicates as much. I'm sorry if your or Mikey's feelings were hurt when he decided to go to Ole Miss, but the fact of the matter is, regardless of his family ties, he didn't owe you, Mikey, or anyone else a damn thing then, especially not four years of his life, and he especially doesn't owe anyone any concession for that decision now. If Gus thinks believes he wants to be here, and that he can be productive, then I'm happy as all get out to have him.

Archived