2013 4* OL Austin Golson (Ole Miss signee & transferred to AU)

TigerProwl24

Some of that has not been ironed out yet but the trending info is he would pay his way til next Spring like Corey did when he transferred. If he comes in he would RS 2014 since he has to sit a year anyway.

So, you are saying that Ole Miss will not give him a release and the NCAA will not approve a hardship transfer? When did this information come out?

No not at all Remember Freeze said in the initial article when the story originally broke that he would likely give Austin the waiver. As for the NCAA waiver that looks like it will not matter. It looks very likely the NCAA will change the waiver rule to where transfers will have to sit the first year anyway and allow the transfer to get that year back on the back end if the player has not used all 4 of his playing years. That rule looks to be changing in the coming weeks.

Well then, if Freeze gives him his release from Ole Miss we can put him on scholarship at once if we want to. Why would we wait until next spring? Save the money?

On the sit a year question, I don't think it matters much because barring multiple injuries to the O-line we'd probably want him to redshirt anyway.

Could be that we don't want him to count towards this year's 25+ scholarships perhaps?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be that we don't want him to count towards this year's 25+ scholarships perhaps?

We had 25 2014 scholarships to use and to date have used only 21. If anything, this would be a good year to plug in an extra or two.

Some of that has not been ironed out yet but the trending info is he would pay his way til next Spring like Corey did when he transferred. If he comes in he would RS 2014 since he has to sit a year anyway.

So, you are saying that Ole Miss will not give him a release and the NCAA will not approve a hardship transfer? When did this information come out?

No not at all Remember Freeze said in the initial article when the story originally broke that he would likely give Austin the waiver. As for the NCAA waiver that looks like it will not matter. It looks very likely the NCAA will change the waiver rule to where transfers will have to sit the first year anyway and allow the transfer to get that year back on the back end if the player has not used all 4 of his playing years. That rule looks to be changing in the coming weeks.

Well then, if Freeze gives him his release from Ole Miss we can put him on scholarship at once if we want to. Why would we wait until next spring? Save the money?

On the sit a year question, I don't think it matters much because barring multiple injuries to the O-line we'd probably want him to redshirt anyway.

Mikey these are good questions. I don't have a clue as to the answers. Just relaying what I was told. I'm sure there is a good reason AU is doing this.

Mikey these are good questions. I don't have a clue as to the answers. Just relaying what I was told. I'm sure there is a good reason AU is doing this.

I don't know the why's either Mikey. Just relaying what I have been told by WDEWDE and seen from others.

I don't know these are true in anyway. Just throwing them out there as a possible reasons. Gus and Freeze are close Friends. Gus could have AG pay a semester or year out of respect to Golson leaving Gus's friend Freese. I'm not saying I agree with that. Just throwing it out there as a possibility.

Another possible reason is that may be Gus has a must walk on first policy for 4 year college transfer players. I think Chase Robison is the only 4 year college transfer we have had under Gus so far and he walked on last fall and may be this Spring as well even though thre was room to put him on scholly.

When do you think Robison could be put on scholarship without counting toward 25+ rule? this fall or would he have to wait another year?

When do you think Robison could be put on scholarship without counting toward 25+ rule? this fall or would he have to wait another year?

This is his 2nd semester, still his first year. It would have to be next summer or Fall.

This is his 2nd semester, still his first year. It would have to be next summer or Fall.

I have not heard much about how Robison is doing. Any news as to his ability to actually see the field some time?

I have not heard much about how Robison is doing. Any news as to his ability to actually see the field some time?

I was thinking of starting a thread asking this very question. You would think with all the injuries at DE this spring we would have seen/heard more about him. I'm not sure if he participated in the spring game or not.

I was thinking of starting a thread asking this very question. You would think with all the injuries at DE this spring we would have seen/heard more about him. I'm not sure if he participated in the spring game or not.

You can ask and discuss that in his thread in the football forum

We had 25 2014 scholarships to use and to date have used only 21. If anything, this would be a good year to plug in an extra or two.

Good point. Seems odd then.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the NCAA change (or is going to change) the rule, so that if a hardship waiver is NOT granted (i.e. player has to sit out a year), then he will now have 6 years to complete 4 years of eligibility? i.e. if he doesn't get the waiver, he wouldn't have to waste a year

I read about it fairly recently.

http://www.cbssports...ardship-waivers

Well, that's exactly what I'm talking about, obviously. Any thoughts?

My point is, people here keep talking about him having to burn a year of eligibility, but it looks like that wouldn't be the case, even if he doesn't get a waiver. Am I misinterpreting something?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the NCAA change (or is going to change) the rule, so that if a hardship waiver is NOT granted (i.e. player has to sit out a year), then he will now have 6 years to complete 4 years of eligibility? i.e. if he doesn't get the waiver, he wouldn't have to waste a year

I read about it fairly recently.

http://www.cbssports...ardship-waivers

Well, that's exactly what I'm talking about, obviously. Any thoughts?

My point is, people here keep talking about him having to burn a year of eligibility, but it looks like that wouldn't be the case, even if he doesn't get a waiver. Am I misinterpreting something?

I don't think many are speaking of "burning a year of eligibility". Since Golson has never redshirted, he'd simply use his redshirt year as a transfer year, new NCAA rule or not.

I don't think many are speaking of "burning a year of eligibility". Since Golson has never redshirted, he'd simply use his redshirt year as a transfer year, new NCAA rule or not.

Thought I saw a few. Maybe i was mistaken. But you're right about the redshirt. Thanks.

FTR I was not the one who put Prattville in the title.

Thats very true...I did. Was that a problem?

Not at all. Was just making sure people realized I was not shamelessly plugging my beloved Prattville Lions. lol

Not at all. Was just making sure people realized I was not shamelessly plugging my beloved Prattville Lions. lol

haha okay... wde

RT @HKellenbergerCL: Austin Golson will walkon at Auburn, following "normal transfer rules."

@JamesCrepea

Cool deal! Adding another good player to the OL rotation is always a good thing. He'll have a year to learn the offense (which shouldn't be too hard coming from ol miss) and then see if he can compete for an open spot in 2015!

Nice pickup here. Should be a starter when he is eligible to play.

Not so sure he will be an automatic started; @ OT Coleman and Young will be Jr's & Miller Sr,, while at OG Kozan and Diamond will be Jr.'s. Plus Smith will be in his second year and Kim his first.

What this means is Coach Grimes is laying the foundation for a dominate OL not only last year, this year, but for years to come!

War Eagle

The O-Line is going to be a problem for opponents in the next few years. Awesome!

Not so sure he will be an automatic started; @ OT Coleman and Young will be Jr's & Miller Sr,, while at OG Kozan and Diamond will be Jr.'s. Plus Smith will be in his second year and Kim his first.

What this means is Coach Grimes is laying the foundation for a dominate OL not only last year, this year, but for years to come!

War Eagle

You're assuming all of Kozan, P-Mill, and AY come back next year. 1 or 2 of them could easily declare for next year's draft. Specifically Kozan if he replicates the great season he had last year.

Mr Golson, welcome to the family. I remember when Golson was in HS and being recruited. I thought he was going to FSU but he ended up at FSU. Great to see him suit up for AU. He was very highly recruited in HS.

Archived