2013 4* OL Austin Golson (Ole Miss signee & transferred to AU)

TigerProwl24

As a factual matter, I've read a number places that the NCAA is granting waivers far less frequently. Prosch's situation was awful, but it's the kind of thing guys get a waiver for. If this is something less, I don't know that he's a good candidate for a waiver. I've lost two grandparents in my lifetime (and another before I was born) so I know how big an impact that can have so I don't say this callously, but I'd actually be surprised to see a waiver granted for a sick grandparent, unless there's some other rarer circumstance (like he lived in their house and they raised him in the absence of his parents).

The NCAA has actually proposed a rule that would automatically give hardship transfers another year of eligibility. If I understand it correctly, they would still have to sit out a year after the transfer, but they would not lose a year of eligibility.

A student-athlete transferring to another program because of hardship could automatically receive an extra year of eligibility in the future.

On Friday the NCAA announced a recommendation that student-athletes who transfer due to “difficult life or family circumstances” be granted an extra year of eligibility. The recommendation from the Division I Leadership Council would also mean that transfers who qualify would no longer be able to apply for a waiver for immediate eligibility.

college-football.si.com/2014/04/18/ncaa-hardship-transfer-change/

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A waiver granted by the NCAA due to hardship means he can play this year. A waiver granted by his previous school means he can go on scholarship this year but still has to sit out his transfer year. There are two different types of waivers involved, issued by two different entities.

To count on the 2014 class he'll have to sign with AU before June 1, so if Ole Miss is to help him out they need to act fast.

Unless there has been a change since Prosh came in, the highlighted part is incorrect. He got the waiver from both the NCAA and Illinois and played his first year on campus at AU.

The highlighted part is not incorrect. Maybe you should read it again. Since you chose to reference Prosch:

1)Prosch got a waiver(release) from Illinois, allowing him to go on scholarship immediately.

2)Prosch got a waiver from the NCAA, allowing him to play immediately.

The NCAA waiver allows immediate playing time.

The waiver(release) from his previous school allows immediate scholarship eligibility.

Does that simplify things for you?

A waiver granted by the NCAA due to hardship means he can play this year. A waiver granted by his previous school means he can go on scholarship this year but still has to sit out his transfer year. There are two different types of waivers involved, issued by two different entities.

To count on the 2014 class he'll have to sign with AU before June 1, so if Ole Miss is to help him out they need to act fast.

Unless there has been a change since Prosh came in, the highlighted part is incorrect. He got the waiver from both the NCAA and Illinois and played his first year on campus at AU.

The highlighted part is not incorrect. Maybe you should read it again. Since you chose to reference Prosch:

1)Prosch got a waiver(release) from Illinois, allowing him to go on scholarship immediately.

The waiver(release) from his previous school allows immediate scholarship eligibility.

It is still incorrect by the way you posted it. you said A waiver granted by his previous school means he ... still has to sit out his transfer year.

Jay did not have to sit out at all. That part is incorrect, period. Also I am sick and tired of your disrespectful tone when you reply to me when we disagree. I don't use a disrespectful tone to you and I expect to be treated the same way. I have put too much into helping people on this site for you to continue your upity tone of typing voice with me. Please stop it.

I agree with you E about the disrespect. However, since i have been on this forum that tone has been the tone of ALL of Mikey's posts. That seems to just be the way he communicates. You are right, though, there is no room in this form of communication with talking down to anyone regardless of who they are.Thanks for all you do E it is greatly appreciated by most if not all of us.

It is still incorrect by the way you posted it. you said A waiver granted by his previous school means he ... still has to sit out his transfer year.

Jay did not have to sit out at all. That part is incorrect, period. Also I am sick and tired of your disrespectful tone when you reply to me when we disagree. I don't use a disrespectful tone to you and I expect to be treated the same way. I have put too much into helping people on this site for you to continue your upity tone of typing voice with me. Please stop it.

Allot of us feel it is also disrespectful to constantly nit-pick and be corrected by know it all's that appear to have nothing better to do than to live their lives looking for things to so-called correct on these forums.

After all, It is a discussion forum! Can we just let some of this minor stuff go, instead of inflating our own egos by feeling it is our God given right to constantly be the correct monitor?

Do we think that, if Golson transferred to Auburn, it would affect the ratings for this recruiting class?

Also, if I understand correctly, we have room for 4 early enrollees that wouldn't count towards our cap of 25- is that right? And we currently have 2 early enrollees committed- Bridges and Smith- so Golson would either make a 3rd, or count towards the 2014 class and leave only room for 3 early enrollees for 2015 (which is six of one and a half dozen of the other)?

Do we think that, if Golson transferred to Auburn, it would affect the ratings for this recruiting class?

Also, if I understand correctly, we have room for 4 early enrollees that wouldn't count towards our cap of 25- is that right? And we currently have 2 early enrollees committed- Bridges and Smith- so Golson would either make a 3rd, or count towards the 2014 class and leave only room for 3 early enrollees for 2015 (which is six of one and a half dozen of the other)?

1. It will not affect ratings. Transfers are not listed by recruiting sites in a signing class even though each new scholly has to be placed in a signing class.

As for the 4 to count back number that could drop depending on when the DE transfer from Texas Tech goes on scholly and If Ricky has to be counted again when he goes back on scholly. They could take up 2 spots in the 2015 class also.

A few years ago transfers didn't count against any signing class (the 25 limit), but that may have changed.

Our numbers on the OL are pretty good, but getting Golson is like getting an Elite 2013 OT/OG recruit, a year in which we only got one other freshman OL recruit (Mix). It would correct the only major shortfall of that class in one stroke.

A few years ago transfers didn't count against any signing class (the 25 limit), but that may have changed.

It has as of 2010 or 2011.

You should try reading the entire paragraph instead of sifting through hunting for something to "correct". What I wrote is not incorrect in context and if you've attended one year of college and took an English class you know it. You'll get some respect when and if you can control your urge to correct things that don't need correcting. I'm far, far from the only one you pull this trick with. However, I may be the main one that takes the trouble to remark on your odd trait.

Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a s***?

Seriously, this is an academic exercise. If he comes here, with or without the waiver, he's not going to play this year. He'll have 3 years of eligibility left whether he's forced to sit out post-transfer (and thus redshirts) or gets a waiver and redshirts. With the depth and experience we have on the OL, he's not coming in during the summer and grabbing a spot on the two-deep. We're going to have a 3-man OT group (likely with Miller backing up both spots). If Slade or Kozan go down, you'll more than likely see Young shift inside and Miller take his spot at RT. If Dismukes goes down, Dampeer takes his spot. He may be a wonderful player, but Golson isn't touching the field for Auburn in 2014.

FWIW Golson is now following Rhett, Gus and Grimes on Twitter. Grimes is following Golson as well.

I agree with you E about the disrespect. However, since i have been on this forum that tone has been the tone of ALL of Mikey's posts. That seems to just be the way he communicates. You are right, though, there is no room in this form of communication with talking down to anyone regardless of who they are.Thanks for all you do E it is greatly appreciated by most if not all of us.

I know you are new here but, just to set the record straight, that isn't close to being true about Mikey.

I have put too much into helping people on this site for you to continue your upity tone of typing voice with me. Please stop it.

E I believe that most of us agree with your point. I don't consider these ill-mannered comments demeaning to you but rather to the writer. Some on here seem to have a better handle on the AU FAMILY idea than do others. Keep up the good work you are appreciated.

Guys. Let's drop the side issue of me and Mikey. I know better and should have never snapped back at him. He is who he is and I am who I am. We are both abraxxive sometimes without intent and that understandably rubs some the wrong way.

With that settled let's get back to Golson. I will post this again in attempt to get this train back on track. FWIW Golson is now following Rhett, Gus and Grimes on Twitter. Grimes is following Golson as well.

FWIW I have actually met and talked with Austin for a while, through an odd circumstance.

I was fortunate enough to attend the BCS championship game this year, and went through a travel group. We took a bus from downtown LA to Pasadena, and the traffic was horrendous. Austin was sitting in the row in front of my brother and I, and we talked basically the entire drive (1-2 hours) to the game. It really seemed like he wasn't happy at Ole Miss, and he asked my brother and I a lot of questions about what it was like going to Auburn. The impression that I got form him was a very good one, he seemed like a really cool guy. I think that he'd be an awesome get for Auburn, and I think that it could really help him out in a tough situation.

Thanks -- good to hear.

FWIW Golson is now following Rhett, Gus and Grimes on Twitter. Grimes is following Golson as well.

AU lock. Golson, Moncrief and Pettway are representing the city of Prattville!

AU lock. Golson, Moncrief and Pettway are representing the city of Prattville!

Don't forget E. He I repping Prattville too!

Archived