2013 4* OL Austin Golson (Ole Miss signee & transferred to AU)

TigerProwl24

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, totally agree that E and Mickey are both 'abbraxxive'.

I don't know this Mickey guy, but yes, he's a jerk!!

Auto-correct is hellspawn.

Y'all better not be talking about Mickey Mantle or there will be dire consequences. ;D

Y'all better not be talking about Mickey Mantle or there will be dire consequences. ;D

I met Mickey Mantle once. And, even though I caused him to miss his flight, he was still very kind.

Former Ole Miss offensive lineman Austin Golson is visiting Auburn on Saturday. Reports surfaced last week that the four-star high school prospect wanted to move closer to his hometown of Prattville, Ala., because the declining health of both grandfathers. Golson was rated the No. 10 offensive tackle and No. 94 overall prospect in the 2013 recruiting class according to 247Sports Composite.
http://auburn.247sports.com/Board/42/Contents/Former-Ole-Miss-OL-visiting-Auburn--28343562

So.....anything new with this? I'm guessing not but just checking.

Golson will end up at AU. Won't get much attention from AU's end as Gus and Freeze are good friends. Gus does not want to rock that boat. But the deal is done I'm pretty sure. AU is going to do the same deal as Corey Grant.

Golson will end up at AU. Won't get much attention from AU's end as Gus and Freeze are good friends. Gus does not want to rock that boat. But the deal is done I'm pretty sure. AU is going to do the same deal as Corey Grant.

This is very good news, IMO. He is a very high quality lineman. You start your true freshman year in the SEC and you have some serious talent.

Will he start school in the summer? Will he have to redshirt? Does this mean he pays his way his first year with AU and then gets a scholly?

10-4, many thanks.

This is very good news, IMO. He is a very high quality lineman. You start your true freshman year in the SEC and you have some serious talent.

Will he start school in the summer? Will he have to redshirt? Does this mean he pays his way his first year with AU and then gets a scholly?

If (BIG IF) he gets a hardship waiver from the NCAA and gets a transfer release from Ole' Miss he can go on scholarship at once and play at once.

No NCAA waiver=sit out a year.

No Ole' Miss release= wait a year to go on scholarship.

The two are not the same thing and he'll have to get both to go on scholarship and play in 2014.

If (BIG IF) he gets a hardship waiver from the NCAA and gets a transfer release from Ole' Miss he can go on scholarship at once and play at once.

No NCAA waiver=sit out a year.

No Ole' Miss release= wait a year to go on scholarship.

The two are not the same thing and he'll have to get both to go on scholarship and play in 2014.

I understand he is pretty good but seems that making him eligible in 2014 to pretty much sit on the bench is a waste of a year unless he red shirts or something....best bet IMO would be for him to get the "release", go on scholarship and then play in 2015.

Some of that has not been ironed out yet but the trending info is he would pay his way til next Spring like Corey did when he transferred. If he comes in he would RS 2014 since he has to sit a year anyway.

Some of that has not been ironed out yet but the trending info is he would pay his way til next Spring like Corey did when he transferred. If he comes in he would RS 2014 since he has to sit a year anyway.

Ok, thanks. I am glad to get him

Which class will he come in with? 2015 since that is when he would go on schollie? or would he not count toward 25 signees in any class? E, do you think this is going to happen or is it still about 50/50?

So, you are saying that Ole Miss will not give him a release and the NCAA will not approve a hardship transfer? When did this information come out?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the NCAA change (or is going to change) the rule, so that if a hardship waiver is NOT granted (i.e. player has to sit out a year), then he will now have 6 years to complete 4 years of eligibility? i.e. if he doesn't get the waiver, he wouldn't have to waste a year

I read about it fairly recently.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the NCAA change (or is going to change) the rule, so that if a hardship waiver is NOT granted (i.e. player has to sit out a year), then he will now have 6 years to complete 4 years of eligibility? i.e. if he doesn't get the waiver, he wouldn't have to waste a year

I read about it fairly recently.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24531407/ncaa-seeking-to-eliminate-immediate-eligibility-for-hardship-waivers

Ok, thanks. I am glad to get him

As far as I know we don't have him yet although things look good.

So, you are saying that Ole Miss will not give him a release and the NCAA will not approve a hardship transfer? When did this information come out?

No not at all Remember Freeze said in the initial article when the story originally broke that he would likely give Austin the waiver. As for the NCAA waiver that looks like it will not matter. It looks very likely the NCAA will change the waiver rule to where transfers will have to sit the first year anyway and allow the transfer to get that year back on the back end if the player has not used all 4 of his playing years. That rule looks to be changing in the coming weeks.

Which class will he come in with? 2015 since that is when he would go on schollie? or would he not count toward 25 signees in any class? E, do you think this is going to happen or is it still about 50/50?

It depends on when he would go on scholly. If he's a walk on for 2 years then he will only go on the 85 limit but never count to a 25 limit. Any time on scholly before that then yes he would count against a 25 limit. If he were to go on Scholly in January 2015 then if the staff wanted AG could count on the 2014 limit as a mid year enrollee exemption in the same way that applies to Mid year jucos and high school kids coming in.

For example, this would mean that a player leaving one school for another in the name of being closer to home for family/health reasons would simply have an extra year to play college basketball. But the player would sit a redshirt year first. This proposal would be for all sports where applicable at the D-I level.

“We hope this change will encourage student-athletes who must transfer based on hardships to focus on the circumstances prompting the transfer during their first year and adjust to their new school, while giving them a season back to complete their eligibility,” Council chairperson Amy Huchthausen said in the NCAA's statement.

It goes back to the integrity of the transfer. In college basketball plenty of coaches (and plenty have told me this off the record) have bent the spirit of the hardship waiver to its limits, often earning immediate eligibility from a player under embellished personal circumstances. Now the NCAA is saying that all players seeking transfer under these circumstances should focus on school and the personal matter in their first year before getting back on the court.

This would also inherently eliminate the number of waivers. That process in general takes up a lot of the NCAA's time and, with regularity, leads to controversy because waiver clearances/denials can be so inconsistent with which players get which verdicts.

This proposal from the Council will go to vote next Thursday at the Board of Directors meeting, just as the unlimited-food item will. Per the NCAA, if it passes there then it goes into place at the start of the 2015-16 academic year.

"The recommendation does not include graduate students, and subcommittee members noted that more work on transfer issues should be completed in a new governance structure," per the release.

If this article is correct then I'm wrong on my hardship part on AG. He would still be able to play in 2014 if he applies and is granted the waiver. IMO that would be pointless though for him to do unless there are injuries that would require him to start.

Cute little commentary from the NCAA as it attempts to deal with the free-flow of players moving around looking for playing time on the pretense that they have a "personal" problem to address. ...players seeking transfer under these circumstances should focus on school and the personal matter in their first year.

A good solution IMO...and avoids having to decide who is telling the truth and who just sees immediate playing time somewhere else. And in fact, if there are real personal issues that require a student-athlete to move closer to home, he (or she) should indeed focus on them and get adjusted to the new school before making the time-consuming commitment to play basketball or football.

No not at all Remember Freeze said in the initial article when the story originally broke that he would likely give Austin the waiver. As for the NCAA waiver that looks like it will not matter. It looks very likely the NCAA will change the waiver rule to where transfers will have to sit the first year anyway and allow the transfer to get that year back on the back end if the player has not used all 4 of his playing years. That rule looks to be changing in the coming weeks.

Well then, if Freeze gives him his release from Ole Miss we can put him on scholarship at once if we want to. Why would we wait until next spring? Save the money?

On the sit a year question, I don't think it matters much because barring multiple injuries to the O-line we'd probably want him to redshirt anyway.

Archived