2013 4* OL Austin Golson (Ole Miss signee & transferred to AU)

TigerProwl24

I remember when we were recruiting him the statement was made "There are a lot of good reasons why Golson needs to be farther away from Prattville than Auburn."

So what has changed?

I understand his Mom may be sick.

Maybe so. But what has illness got to do with some "horrible, unmentionable" circumstance involving him around Prattville?

I am not a coach but my two cents: He had his chance the first time around and went elsewhere. Let him follow the Corey Grant route if this is really where he wants to be...walk-on, pay your own way and EARN your scholly. JMTC

I'm glad you're not a coach. If he wants to be here now, and can help the team, then I want him here.

reading comprehension is our friend: nowhere in that post did i say "I don't want him here" what I said is let him prove it if this is where he wants to be, just like Corey Grant had to prove it. Is that clearer for you?

So I'm assuming that you're upset that Jay Prosche got to come here to be closer to family without "having to prove that he really wanted to be here"?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corey Grant was not eligible for a scholarship because he was transferring without being released by his previous school. That's why he had to pay his own way, not because Auburn wanted him to "prove it".

I am interested in why he felt like he needed to be far away from Prattville. If it was a "running with the wrong crowd" type of situation, that should factor into Auburn's decision. Having a sick family member doesn't mean he's got new friends in town. If he's a risk to get in trouble due to his proximity to Prattville, that would worry me. If that wasn't the issue, then it shouldn't matter.

Also, this situation isn't comparable to Jay's. Prosch would've come to Auburn if we'd offered him a scholarship. We didn't; Illinois did so he went there. That's not the same as being recruited by Auburn and choosing to play elsewhere.

I remember when we were recruiting him the statement was made "There are a lot of good reasons why Golson needs to be farther away from Prattville than Auburn."

So what has changed?

Maybe so. But what has illness got to do with some "horrible, unmentionable" circumstance involving him around Prattville?

You asked what has changed that would make him not need to be further from Prattville than Auburn. Not sure what it is you're not understanding about the answer.

Also, it's Golson's grandparents that have the health issues.

Yes, but what has changed that made him think Auburn was too close? I understand the sick part. is the other, whatever it was, gone or not, or did it even exist?

I'm with magnumtiger: Let him pay his own way and earn a scholarship if he wants to be here. There are a number of AU grads in that Golson family, I've even worked with two of them. They can put him in Auburn if that's where he wants to be. (If you can't tell, I was miffed at him when he didn't choose AU the first time. He was raised better than to go elsewhere.)

I seem to recall you often saying LBs should come to Auburn based heavily on early playing time. This kid played a lot last year and would be starting this year, while the same would not be true at Auburn. We may be replacing a lot of linemen after this season, and potentially driving away someone who could ease the transition out of spite would be a terrible decision

I was upset, as Mikey was, about Golson going elsewhere, especially with his family history. One offensive lineman, even a really good one isn't going to make or break what CGM and CJBG is building up front. If you want to come home prove it. "Show me the Money" as Cuba Gooding would say. If he gets his feelings hurt when asked to pay his own way, let him go to UAB and be a worldbeater in front of 8-10K every week playing UTEP :Sing:

Good Lord... Why does he need to prove anything? He wants to be at Auburn now, his reaching out to the coaches indicates as much. I'm sorry if your or Mikey's feelings were hurt when he decided to go to Ole Miss, but the fact of the matter is, regardless of his family ties, he didn't owe you, Mikey, or anyone else a damn thing then, especially not four years of his life, and he especially doesn't owe anyone any concession for that decision now. If Gus thinks believes he wants to be here, and that he can be productive, then I'm happy as all get out to have him.

and if CGM wants him here I will be happy as well. Sick grandparents or not I imagine that Mr. Golson will sit-out a year at Auburn or any other SEC he would like to transfer in to. Just because he was a good guard at Ole Miss, doesn't mean anything at Auburn. They are not at the same level as Auburn and if you can't see that then that's a you problem. Right now I don't see him playing here, where is he going to play, ahead of Avery Young, Pat Miller, etc? Heck Chad Slade may not even keep his job and he's been here 4 years.

Corey Grant was not eligible for a scholarship because he was transferring without being released by his previous school. That's why he had to pay his own way, not because Auburn wanted him to "prove it".

I am interested in why he felt like he needed to be far away from Prattville. If it was a "running with the wrong crowd" type of situation, that should factor into Auburn's decision. Having a sick family member doesn't mean he's got new friends in town. If he's a risk to get in trouble due to his proximity to Prattville, that would worry me. If that wasn't the issue, then it shouldn't matter.

Also, this situation isn't comparable to Jay's. Prosch would've come to Auburn if we'd offered him a scholarship. We didn't; Illinois did so he went there. That's not the same as being recruited by Auburn and choosing to play elsewhere.

The comparisons to Prosch were more based on the reason for transferring. Prosch also had family issues and wasn't just making a move based on playing time. Golson also clearly isn't doing this for playing time, since he was a projected starter

and if CGM wants him here I will be happy as well. Sick grandparents or not I imagine that Mr. Golson will sit-out a year at Auburn or any other SEC he would like to transfer in to. Just because he was a good guard at Ole Miss, doesn't mean anything at Auburn. They are not at the same level as Auburn and if you can't see that then that's a you problem. Right now I don't see him playing here, where is he going to play, ahead of Avery Young, Pat Miller, etc? Heck Chad Slade may not even keep his job and he's been here 4 years.

He's got 4 years left to play 3. He could sit out this year and be a sophomore in 2015 with 3 remaining years of eligibility (and essentially an entire year as a starter in the SEC under his belt). In other words, his eligibility wouldn't necessarily overlap much with the guys starting for us now.

He's got 4 years left to play 3. He could sit out this year and be a sophomore in 2015 with 3 remaining years of eligibility (and essentially an entire year as a starter in the SEC under his belt). In other words, his eligibility wouldn't necessarily overlap much with the guys starting for us now.

And a year in our S&C program. I am for him coming immediately. He proved his 4 star rating starting and doing well at a SEC team as a freshman, regardless how good that team was.

Good Lord... Why does he need to prove anything? He wants to be at Auburn now, his reaching out to the coaches indicates as much. I'm sorry if your or Mikey's feelings were hurt when he decided to go to Ole Miss, but the fact of the matter is, regardless of his family ties, he didn't owe you, Mikey, or anyone else a damn thing then, especially not four years of his life, and he especially doesn't owe anyone any concession for that decision now. If Gus thinks believes he wants to be here, and that he can be productive, then I'm happy as all get out to have him.

I'm not even sure who you are arguing with anymore. I don't think anyone is advocating that he should or will waltz right in and start. But asking him to pay his own way simply to prove that he wants to be here is asinine. That's all anyone is arguing.

And for those curious about his recruitment the first time around, he by no means "spurned" Auburn. If anything, it was the other way around. He was a very, very late offer by Chizik and co, who were far more focused on recruiting true guards than tackles. By the time the new coaching staff there was far too much ground to make up as Ole Miss and FSU had already put much more effort into his recruitment. There was one poster on this board who maintained that getting away from Prattville was a concern, but no specifics were ever given and it remained unsubstantiated. That poster also maintained that Golson was a good kid, so implying character issues is entirely unwarranted. Yes, he grew up an Auburn fan, but Auburn didn't make him a priority (until very late under a brand new staff), so he signed with someone who did. Those are the known facts of what happened.

Now his grandparents (The Big AU fans who raised him) are ill, and he would like to be closer to them and still play football at a competitive level.

Here is the unabridged version of his original recruitment for any who care to look. It might be worth skimming through before the assumptions and accusations get out of hand.

http://www.aufamily....-austin-golson/

I'm not even sure who you are arguing with anymore. I don't think anyone is advocating that he should or will waltz right in and start. But asking him to pay his own way simply to prove that he wants to be here is asinine. That's all anyone is arguing.

If signing with auburn is not enough proof that he wants to play in auburn...someone buy him a hoop so he can jump through it...wait he never did a dance off...yep he is lying through his teeth.

So what has changed?

You asked what has changed that would make him not need to be further from Prattville than Auburn. Not sure what it is you're not understanding about the answer.

Also, it's Golson's grandparents that have the health issues.

Yes, but what has changed that made him think Auburn was too close? I understand the sick part. is the other, whatever it was, gone or not, or did it even exist?

I'm with magnumtiger: Let him pay his own way and earn a scholarship if he wants to be here. There are a number of AU grads in that Golson family, I've even worked with two of them. They can put him in Auburn if that's where he wants to be. (If you can't tell, I was miffed at him when he didn't choose AU the first time. He was raised better than to go elsewhere.)

If he wants to be close to sick family and Auburn is closest to where they live or are hospitalized, it kind of stands to reason that the other stuff must be secondary.

Secondary from his perspective. I think Mikey's question is from our perspective. If he was getting out to grow up and stay out of trouble, it begs the question of whether one year was enough to help him grow up so that he stays out of trouble.

I think that's all Mikey was asking.

Secondary from his perspective. I think Mikey's question is from our perspective. If he was getting out to grow up and stay out of trouble, it begs the question of whether one year was enough to help him grow up so that he stays out of trouble.

There is no reason to believe those were the reasons that he didn't sign with Auburn. Thus there is no reason to believe "growing up and staying out of trouble" are relevant concerns should he choose to come now. Let's stop speculating before it turns to mud slinging. That's not an accusation, just a general request.

FWIW.....I checked out Golsons twitter page and he quotes more bible verses than TBN. I havent heard much about him getting in trouble with the law in his high school days, he probably just wanted to get away and now he is homesick.

FWIW.....I checked out Golsons twitter page and he quotes more bible verses than TBN. I havent heard much about him getting in trouble with the law in his high school days, he probably just wanted to get away and now he is homesick.

Yep, all indications are he's a great kid. His was raised by the grandparents that are now sick, so it may be a little more than homesickness. But yeah, this seems to be a pretty accurate picture.

If he chose to get out in order to stay out of trouble, doesn't that speak of his character in itself?

I sure hope our coaches aren't consulting this board for recruiting advise. That was sarcasm!

I am happy that none of you are responsible for player development, if he wants to come Auburn here is your scholly....

FWIW I have actually met and talked with Austin for a while, through an odd circumstance.

I was fortunate enough to attend the BCS championship game this year, and went through a travel group. We took a bus from downtown LA to Pasadena, and the traffic was horrendous. Austin was sitting in the row in front of my brother and I, and we talked basically the entire drive (1-2 hours) to the game. It really seemed like he wasn't happy at Ole Miss, and he asked my brother and I a lot of questions about what it was like going to Auburn. The impression that I got form him was a very good one, he seemed like a really cool guy. I think that he'd be an awesome get for Auburn, and I think that it could really help him out in a tough situation.

Why dont we kick all the players off the team that didnt commit to us originally? Nick Marshal, Melvin Ray, Cory Grant, and Im sure there is more. This is the dumbest argument I have ever read on this site.

Did not want to jump in this but since there have been posts wondering about his character, his motivation or whether he spurned auburn ...

First, some of you guys seem to forget that these 17-18 year old high school seniors are making college choices based solely on football criteria. Some of these kids make football decisions with football being down the list of importance. Sometimes there are personal reasons for decisions made that are, quite frankly not the slightest of your business.

I was told a little of the backstory story on his original decision. Sounded to me, from the limited info I got, The kid made a mature personal decision that was best at that time. Sounds like the ill grandparents have changed the dynamic and overrule the previous dynamic. The kid should be given the benefit of the doubt and wished well.

I hope he is starting for us after a redshirt year. ... And yes lots of kids have difficulties and fight through it. That appears to be what he is doing.

Trying to compare Golson's situation to Prosch or Grant or Robison or any other transfer is not fair. None of us knows the whole story in any of these cases. Hopefully there is some confidentiality still left in this internet world. Each situation is different and I trust Gus will make the right decision for Auburn after studying the pros and cons. Personally I hope AG is on the Plains this summer. I think he has PMiller type talent and ability and could really help us for 3 years.

If Gus wants him it's a no brainer, we take him and gladly so. If there are hurt feelings on here then get over it and move on with the Gus bus.

would he be coming here to play tackle or guard?

Waaaaay too early in the process to have an answer.

And for those curious about his recruitment the first time around, he by no means "spurned" Auburn. If anything, it was the other way around. He was a very, very late offer by Chizik and co, who were far more focused on recruiting true guards than tackles. By the time the new coaching staff there was far too much ground to make up as Ole Miss and FSU had already put much more effort into his recruitment. There was one poster on this board who maintained that getting away from Prattville was a concern, but no specifics were ever given and it remained unsubstantiated. That poster also maintained that Golson was a good kid, so implying character issues is entirely unwarranted. Yes, he grew up an Auburn fan, but Auburn didn't make him a priority (until very late under a brand new staff), so he signed with someone who did. Those are the known facts of what happened.

Now his grandparents (The Big AU fans who raised him) are ill, and he would like to be closer to them and still play football at a competitive level.

Here is the unabridged version of his original recruitment for any who care to look. It might be worth skimming through before the assumptions and accusations get out of hand.

http://www.aufamily....-austin-golson/

Actually AG did not have a commitable offer to AU til Gus's staff came in.

I am about to piss some people off and I really don't care given the immaturity level of some posts here, especially some that normally show a high level of posting maturity.

1. We are not entitled to feel any kid has to come to Auburn and get pissed at him when they choose another school. Feeling and acting that way is extremely childish. We should be hoping they make the best choice for them and respect that choice whether we agree with it or not. I can understand being upset when a kid plays the staff or community but other than that there should be no butt hurt for a kid not choosing AU. Since AG did not play our staff or community a big part of the discussion in this thread is ridiculous and flat out asanine.

2. What happened 15 months ago that got AG to not choose AU does not matter 1 dad gum bit at all right now. For people to try to judge AG because of a choice he made that he felt at the time was in his best interest is completely appauling. AU may be the best home for him as he deals with illnesses to both grandfathers at the same time. As a family we need to be loving on this kid if AU is the choice for him and our staff instead of making immature close-minded judgments.

Now that my rant is over FWIW I think UAB could be a realistic destination also. It's only 10 minutes further from Prattville than AU and the new UAB coach Bill Clark was the HC at Prattville for 10 years and I'm sure has connections to Golson even though he did not coach him. Clark is still a God in Prattville and knows everybody associated with the football program.

Archived