2013 4* OL Austin Golson (Ole Miss signee & transferred to AU)

TigerProwl24

On the waiver issue, I think it would be in AU's best interest that AG not use a waiver. Since he did not RS last season he has 3 playing years of eligibility either way. Might as well let him RS next year and then compete for a job in 2015.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the waiver issue, I think it would be in AU's best interest that AG not use a waiver. Since he did not RS last season he has 3 playing years of eligibility either way. Might as well let him RS next year and then compete for a job in 2015.

I would prefer to get the waiver, then RS him if we can. He could then provide depth this year in case of an injury or two on the OL. Or does the waiver nullify the possibility of a redshirt season?

I agree with this! Slade and Dismukes will be gone. Kozan could slide over to center and free up two guard spots for Golson, Jordan Diamond, Deon Mix, & Braden Smith to battle for. However it plays out, the O-line battles are going to be ridiculous over the next couple of years!

Secondary from his perspective. I think Mikey's question is from our perspective. If he was getting out to grow up and stay out of trouble, it begs the question of whether one year was enough to help him grow up so that he stays out of trouble.

I think that's all Mikey was asking.

While mcgufcm and I often have differing opinions, I have never had reason to question his ability to comprehend the written word. One would think that reading comprehension would not be a problem on a message board peopled mostly by college grads and college students. Unfortunately mcgufcm, who comprehends very well, is the exception rather than the rule.

I agree with this! Slade and Dismukes will be gone. Kozan could slide over to center and free up two guard spots for Golson, Jordan Diamond, Deon Mix, & Braden Smith to battle for. However it plays out, the O-line battles are going to be ridiculous over the next couple of years!

Not so fast my friend. Dampeer did very well at Center this Spring and is expected to take over after Reese leaves.

I am about to piss some people off and I really don't care given the immaturity level of some posts here, especially some that normally show a high level of posting maturity.

1. We are not entitled to feel any kid has to come to Auburn and get pissed at him when they choose another school. Feeling and acting that way is extremely childish. We should be hoping they make the best choice for them and respect that choice whether we agree with it or not. I can understand being upset when a kid plays the staff or community but other than that there should be no butt hurt for a kid not choosing AU. Since AG did not play our staff or community a big part of the discussion in this thread is ridiculous and flat out asanine.

2. What happened 15 months ago that got AG to not choose AU does not matter 1 dad gum bit at all right now. For people to try to judge AG because of a choice he made that he felt at the time was in his best interest is completely appauling. AU may be the best home for him as he deals with illnesses to both grandfathers at the same time. As a family we need to be loving on this kid if AU is the choice for him and our staff instead of making immature close-minded judgments.

Now that my rant is over FWIW I think UAB could be a realistic destination also. It's only 10 minutes further from Prattville than AU and the new UAB coach Bill Clark was the HC at Prattville for 10 years and I'm sure has connections to Golson even though he did not coach him. Clark is still a God in Prattville and knows everybody associated with the football program.

Preach.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance...many posts here are w/o real knowledge of the situation & reflect the extent of the posters'--well, you know...

To Mustache, Ellitor, and others...thanks.

Let the situation play out...and hope the best results for all...for AU and AG.

Good luck to the kid no matter what he decides.

I am about to piss some people off and I really don't care given the immaturity level of some posts here, especially some that normally show a high level of posting maturity.

1. We are not entitled to feel any kid has to come to Auburn and get pissed at him when they choose another school. Feeling and acting that way is extremely childish. We should be hoping they make the best choice for them and respect that choice whether we agree with it or not. I can understand being upset when a kid plays the staff or community but other than that there should be no butt hurt for a kid not choosing AU. Since AG did not play our staff or community a big part of the discussion in this thread is ridiculous and flat out asanine.

2. What happened 15 months ago that got AG to not choose AU does not matter 1 dad gum bit at all right now. For people to try to judge AG because of a choice he made that he felt at the time was in his best interest is completely appauling. AU may be the best home for him as he deals with illnesses to both grandfathers at the same time. As a family we need to be loving on this kid if AU is the choice for him and our staff instead of making immature close-minded judgments.

Now that my rant is over FWIW I think UAB could be a realistic destination also. It's only 10 minutes further from Prattville than AU and the new UAB coach Bill Clark was the HC at Prattville for 10 years and I'm sure has connections to Golson even though he did not coach him. Clark is still a God in Prattville and knows everybody associated with the football program.

BRAVO "E". Your best rant!! :) I know some of us were waiting for your take.

E I wish I was as eloquent as you. This is a great post and I could not agree with you more. I am praying for his grandparents and his family. I would love to have him but more importantly I want him to be able to be in a position to support his family.

Testify!!!!!!

We are lifting up prayers for his Grandparents.

What would the time frame be for him coming to Auburn if he chooses too? And the 2015 class correct?

What would the time frame be for him coming to Auburn if he chooses too? And the 2015 class correct?

1. Per his word, soon and 2. Depends when he is on scholly. If he transfers and unrolls on scholly before May 31st (Mikey correct me if I'm wrong.)) then he actually counts to the 2014 class but still means we can take 1 less in the 2015 class.

1. Per his word, soon and 2. Depends when he is on scholly. If he transfers and unrolls on scholly before May 31st (Mikey correct me if I'm wrong.)) then he actually counts to the 2014 class but still means we can take 1 less in the 2015 class.

I think he would get a waiver and counts to the class of 2014.

The waiver only deals with the year he can play, not the signing vlass he counts too.

The waiver only deals with the year he can play, not the signing vlass he counts too.

This situation is similar with Jay Prosch but you are right about the 2014 class. I'm pretty sure you will be glad if Golson transfers to Auburn because you are from Prattville area. ;D

As a factual matter, I've read a number places that the NCAA is granting waivers far less frequently. Prosch's situation was awful, but it's the kind of thing guys get a waiver for. If this is something less, I don't know that he's a good candidate for a waiver. I've lost two grandparents in my lifetime (and another before I was born) so I know how big an impact that can have so I don't say this callously, but I'd actually be surprised to see a waiver granted for a sick grandparent, unless there's some other rarer circumstance (like he lived in their house and they raised him in the absence of his parents).

As a factual matter, I've read a number places that the NCAA is granting waivers far less frequently. Prosch's situation was awful, but it's the kind of thing guys get a waiver for. If this is something less, I don't know that he's a good candidate for a waiver. I've lost two grandparents in my lifetime (and another before I was born) so I know how big an impact that can have so I don't say this callously, but I'd actually be surprised to see a waiver granted for a sick grandparent, unless there's some other rarer circumstance (like he lived in their house and they raised him in the absence of his parents).

I understood that was the case.

What was the case? I was just waxing poetic. I have no information on Golson's family situation at all.

What was the case? I was just waxing poetic. I have no information on Golson's family situation at all.

Raised by Grandparents I think is what he means.

It could be a different situation though because he was raised by his grandparents. It'd almost be like having sick parents.

A waiver granted by the NCAA due to hardship means he can play this year. A waiver granted by his previous school means he can go on scholarship this year but still has to sit out his transfer year. There are two different types of waivers involved, issued by two different entities.

To count on the 2014 class he'll have to sign with AU before June 1, so if Ole Miss is to help him out they need to act fast.

A waiver granted by the NCAA due to hardship means he can play this year. A waiver granted by his previous school means he can go on scholarship this year but still has to sit out his transfer year. There are two different types of waivers involved, issued by two different entities.

To count on the 2014 class he'll have to sign with AU before June 1, so if Ole Miss is to help him out they need to act fast.

Not to be overly technical, but the terminology I've been using is a release from his current school and a waiver from the NCAA. Is the scholarship release also called a waiver?

Unless there has been a change since Prosh came in, the highlighted part is incorrect. He got the waiver from both the NCAA and Illinois and played his first year on campus at AU.

Archived