Baseball vs. LSU Game 3

Typical for all season. Bottom 3rd and we have 1st and 3rd with 1 out. Next batter up 3-0 count and strikes out on a terrible swing at a ball at shoulders. Next batter again up 3-0 count and strikes out looking at strike 3 down at the knees. We must be the most non-clutch hitting team in the SEC. LSU hitters attack the ball.

Typical for all season. Bottom 3rd and we have 1st and 3rd with 1 out. Next batter up 3-0 count and strikes out on a terrible swing at a ball at shoulders. Next batter again up 3-0 count and strikes out looking at strike 3 down at the knees. We must be the most non-clutch hitting team in the SEC. LSU hitters attack the ball.

It's a combination of poor coaching and hitters with no confidence in themselves. They made mistakes at the plate and in base running out of frustration,desperation, and coaching decisions that were questionable.

From his remarks about this team it seems that CSG never really believed in them anyway. He's been the bigger disappointment of this season. I feel terrible for the seniors.

Tiger, as usual, u are right on the money....very disappointing season..feel bad for the seniors.....some things I just didn't get....the experiment of pitching Tella....the horrid coaching decsions on the base paths.....the lack of use of TD....Oneil getting limited opportunities...the repeated attempts of stealing 3rd base in non-slealing situations....I get the number of freshman starting was needed....and tough...but I just don't get it......C Galloway rated out at a D+ as best....not making the SEC tourney is horrible.....despite opinions..this team was a lot more talented then folks realized...just lacked in structure. Errors are going to happen...lack of clutch hitting is a part of the game...but running into easy outs......pitching a center fielder...not pitching TD all was poor poor coaching decisions....not to mention blasting kids in the media ect.....very very disappointed in how this played out......again..i get the idea of giving a few years..but what I have seen so for...a couple would be max......True Galloway did make Omaha, but really never closed the deal there...he was run out of Oklahoma for a reason

Tiger, as usual, u are right on the money....very disappointing season..feel bad for the seniors.....some things I just didn't get....the experiment of pitching Tella....the horrid coaching decsions on the base paths.....the lack of use of TD....Oneil getting limited opportunities...the repeated attempts of stealing 3rd base in non-slealing situations....I get the number of freshman starting was needed....and tough...but I just don't get it......C Galloway rated out at a D+ as best....not making the SEC tourney is horrible.....despite opinions..this team was a lot more talented then folks realized...just lacked in structure. Errors are going to happen...lack of clutch hitting is a part of the game...but running into easy outs......pitching a center fielder...not pitching TD all was poor poor coaching decisions....not to mention blasting kids in the media ect.....very very disappointed in how this played out......again..i get the idea of giving a few years..but what I have seen so for...a couple would be max......True Galloway did make Omaha, but really never closed the deal there...he was run out of Oklahoma for a reason

It's "Golloway", dumbass.

Ryan Tella was one of the top pitching prospects coming out of California. The mis-use of Tella occurred in prior years by his not seeing the mound until this season. Tella should have been pitching all along. That's as bad as Ortman being SEC freshman pitcher of the year and then never being seen again until Coach Golloway got here. Wasted years for both pitchers.

It's a combination of poor coaching and hitters with no confidence in themselves. They made mistakes at the plate and in base running out of frustration,desperation, and coaching decisions that were questionable.

From his remarks about this team it seems that CSG never really believed in them anyway. He's been the bigger disappointment of this season. I feel terrible for the seniors.

It's been the story for years. Auburn hasn't been a baseball contender since the late 90's. It's almost a carbon copy of the basketball program.

Interesting comment from CSG about players not buying into "small ball". Since this season might be the end of the small ball era, wonder what he will do with the changes in the ball for next season.

One year does not make or break this team & coaching staff. I am willing to let CSG have this season as a mulligan of sorts. I do believe that we will see a huge improvment over the next 2 seasons. The man has been successful throughout his coaching career. It was a bad season. However, we had several SEC games that were heart-breakers no doubt. If half of these games were won, we would be playing in the SEC Tourney and possibly beyond that. I was not expecting miracles this season, and pretty much figured we would be around the .500 mark for this season. Most of us thought that CSG was a good hire, and I still believe this very much.

We scored 2 runs or less in 13 of 30 conference games. I'm guessing we will see someone other than Walker as the hitting coach. I would suspect that won't be the only coaching change. I also think there will be some players with eligibility who do not come back in '15. Don't be shocked.

Interesting comment from CSG about players not buying into "small ball". Since this season might be the end of the small ball era, wonder what he will do with the changes in the ball for next season.

A coach should be able to sell the team on his philosophy for winning. The team should have trust in a coach, and the decisions he makes. I don't think CSG won this team over. I hope he can do a better job next season.

We scored 2 runs or less in 13 of 30 conference games. I'm guessing we will see someone other than Walker as the hitting coach. I would suspect that won't be the only coaching change. I also think there will be some players with eligibility who do not come back in '15. Don't be shocked.

I think fruit-basket turnover of players is pretty normal during the first and second seasons of a coaching change. In this case, it may well be a good thing. When a coach has to use a .204 hitter at the DH position, it's a good indication that changes and upgrades are necessary.

Interesting indeed, since our prior coach was Mr. Small Ball himself. He ruined the best hitting team in the history of AU baseball by making .400 hitters bunt with runners on second, so our guys should have been used to playing small ball. We don't really need better small ball players, we need pitching, fielding and some BIG STICKS. Ultimately, if your going to win baseball games somebody is going to have to hit the ball hard.

I think fruit-basket turnover of players is pretty normal during the first and second seasons of a coaching change. In this case, it may well be a good thing. When a coach has to use a .204 hitter at the DH position, it's a good indication that changes and upgrades are necessary.

The frosh have to make a big step up to be SEC level players and scoring runs was the big issue, not so much the hitting. SIAP, we had 40 runners put out on the base paths, including 7 nailed at the plate. We squandered scoring opportunities all season long.

What's really needed is a HUGE infusion of talent. Check the roster....other than K Thompson, we are losing the about every major contributor to this year's team.

With the number of schollys/half schollies we give it's hard to be competitive with the good teams.

With the number of schollys/half schollies we give it's hard to be competitive with the good teams.

Here we go again.

All D1 programs have the same number of baseball scholarships. Auburn divides the equivalent of 11.7 scholarships just like everybody else. The great Miss State coach, Ron Polk, has railed against this for years now. In all likelihood, there aren't a dozen guys in the SEC getting 50% of a baseball scholarship. The numbers don't work.

And here we go again...WRONG....

NCAA allowed baseball scholarships......but other scholarship aid...you need to do a little research POD on the concept that all SEC schools have the same amount of scholarship money going to baseball players. Check below.

http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/how_many_scholarships.htm

AU64, your link absolutely confirms what everybody else is saying. 11.7 baseball scholarships is all any school can offer. No D-1 school can have more kids on baseball scholarship than Auburn can and your link confirms that.

AU64, your link absolutely confirms what everybody else is saying. 11.7 baseball scholarships is all any school can offer. No D-1 school can have more kids on baseball scholarship than Auburn can and your link confirms that.

Ah yes..."baseball scholarships" but consider this comment from the linked piece:

Blending of athletic and academic scholarship monies is permissible for academically qualifying student-athletes (This varies from school to school)

And who determines what those "academically qualifying student-athletes" must do in order to qualify? Why each individual school of course....not the NCAA or the SEC.

IF and I say IF....people wanting to see AU become more competitive in baseball were to provide academic scholarships that could be used by the Athletic Department for baseball prospects, the school would probably be able bring in a few kids that end up elsewhere.

Quote: "IF and I say IF....people wanting to see AU become more competitive in baseball were to provide academic scholarships that could be used by the Athletic Department for baseball prospects, the school would probably be able bring in a few kids that end up elsewhere."

No school can set aside money for scholarships specifically for baseball players, or any other athletes. If they could, Harvard, Yale and Stanford would be in the CWS every year, not to mention the football playoffs. To allow something like that defeats the entire purpose of scholarship limits.

We (Auburn) have to have students that qualify for one of the THOUSANDS of academic scholarships offered by AU every year. If one or more of them happen to be baseball players, that's to our benefit.

Don't you see that having money set aside for baseball players only is a clear NCAA violation? If it weren't, Bobby Lowder would have bought us the best team money could buy. The player HAS to be a student that qualifies for an academic scholarship elsewhere in the university, without regard to baseball and that's how it is everywhere. We are not at any sort of recruiting disadvantage.

One more time, from the NCAA ruling on Pepperdine baseball violations and resulting sanctions (read carefully sixfour):

3. Excessive Financial Aid in violation of NCAA Bylaws 15.5.3.1 and 15.5.3.2

Beginning in the 2007-08 academic year and continuing through the 2010-11 academic year, the institution exceeded its maximum team grant-in-aid limitations in the sports of baseball, men’s tennis, men’s volleyball, men’s water polo and women’s soccer.

These violations occurred due to deficiencies in the process used by the institution to award need-based financial aid. Because it has limited financial resources, the institution cannot fund all students with demonstrated financial needs. It therefore prioritizes, based on a set of criteria, which students will receive the aid. If students meet any of the listed criteria, they are categorized as a “1,” meaning they are guaranteed at least some need-based aid.

One way a student can be classified as a “1” is to possess a particular gift or talent that the institution desires to have represented in the overall student body. Such students earned classifications as “1T,” moving them to the top of the list to receive need-based aid. Each year from 2007-08 through 2010-11, the financial aid office designated 10-15 student-athletes as “1T” based on their athletics participation. Those student-athletes then received need-based aid in addition to any athletics aid awarded by their coaches. The need-based aid was not counted as athletics aid, as it should have been.

And here we go again...WRONG....

NCAA allowed baseball scholarships......but other scholarship aid...you need to do a little research POD on the concept that all SEC schools have the same amount of scholarship money going to baseball players. Check below.

http://www.hsbasebal...cholarships.htm

SixFour if you did anything other than Google "baseball scholarships" (research?) you'd know that the website you're referencing is about as Mickey Mouse as it gets. Do some real research and check the freakin' NCAA regulations, then get back to me. It's been thirty five years since anybody you know has been involved in the recruiting/scholarship process for baseball.

Yes, there are other scholarship monies, such as education lottery funds which may supplement grants to athletes participating on secondary athletics teams, but those cannot be targeted for students because they are specifically gifted in athletics. That is an outright violation that will land the program on probation, such as Pepperdine referenced in my "research" above.

And by the way, just because you have a "Hope" type education lottery scholarship pool, it doesn't necessarily give you a competitive advantage. Georgia baseball hasn't exactly been a juggernaut of late, eh?

Here is the additional "research" inferred by the Ron Polk mention...

- The NCAA's new stipulations that 27 players could get some kind of partial scholarship and those must get at least 25% of a full scholarship. (As coach Polk said) "First they're going to only give us 11.7 scholarships and now they have the nerve to tell us how to spend them," Coach Polk ended his letter by writing, "It is a true fact: for some reason college baseball has been slighted for so many years in so many ways. Our defenders (the NCAA) became our prosecutors." Interestingly, coach Polk mailed out 1,421 letters at a cost of $2,500 of his own money and wrote the letter in one single afternoon, Polk being famous for eschewing computers.

Polk was a great coach, the winningest coach in any sport in SEC history. Even better when he could stockpile talent, which he knew he would no longer be able to do at MSU (even though that was the only sport they might possibly win a national title in). Why would Polk write that letter, which ultimately helped usher him out the door in Starkville (where he is bigger than life) if all he had to do was to find some other available scholarship funds to continue what was already established ???

Information, sixfour, is one thing. Understanding that information is quite another.

Archived