Maisel: Auburn no one-hit wonder

RunInRed

College Football's New Look

Which teams have what it takes to make the playoff -- and win it?

adfaf.jpg

Capture.png

AUBURN, Ala. -- The Auburn defense lost end Dee Ford, a veteran and a star who led the team in tackles for loss (14.5) and sacks (10.5). Ford will suit up for Kansas City, which took him with the 23rd pick of the NFL draft earlier this month.

That's no small loss. But overall, the defensive losses for the Tigers are small. Five of the top seven tacklers, and three of the top four tacklers behind the line of scrimmage, are returning next fall for the national runner-up Tigers.

College football lineups change every year by definition. There will always be new blood. But for the Tigers, defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson whipped out some old-school lessons to impress upon them the task at hand.

"He finally got it up a hill, and it rolled back down," Wright said of Sisyphus, "and he was like, 'What do I do now?'"Senior defensive tackle Gabe Wright, second to Ford with 8.5 tackles for loss in 2013, said that Johnson told the defense the story of Sisyphus as a way of describing what they had to do.

That's the position in which the Tigers find themselves. They have to roll the ball back up the hill. Fortunately, they have a wealth of experienced players, including seven defensive starters, five in the front seven.

"We bring back a leadership and experience level that we haven't had since 2010," Wright said, referring to the senior-laden national champions. This year's team has the same makeup.

"Whenever you're able to fill up two full rows of seniors in your team meeting room," Wright said, "good things should happen."

Except for left offensive tackle Greg Robinson, the second player taken in the NFL draft, and running back Tre Mason, the offense returns pretty much intact as well. Quarterback Nick Marshall, who didn't arrive at Auburn until August yet led the Tigers to the brink of the national championship, has the advantage of participating in a spring practice with his coaches and teammates.

It's easy to project Auburn as a one-hit wonder looking for its second smash. But do so at your own peril. In the college game, it's hard to beat experience, and that's something the Tigers have coming out of their ears.

http://espn.go.com/c...ur-team-playoff

Give Maisel credit -- what he says is obvious; but it's not yet conventional wisdom (which still claims we were lucky last year, blah blah blah).

Give Maisel credit -- what he says is obvious; but it's not yet conventional wisdom (which still claims we were lucky last year, blah blah blah).

I personally have no problem with people thinking we got lucky some; we actually did. However, that luck taught our guys a lot about never give up attitude and what is possible if you don't quit. I truly believe this team will be creating some plays this year that were looked on as luck last year.

I was a bit surprised by some of the teams that were on his list to potentially make the 4 team playoff this year. TX A&M being the most surprising. They must think a lot of Sumlin for them to be in consideration considering what all they lost from last years team and how terrible that defense was a year ago. I see next year being rough for the aggies. Another 2 I was kind of surprised by were USCe and UGA. I thought the talking heads docked teams more points than that when they don't have a starting QB returning. But the more I thought about it the more i realized that 1 of those 2 teams is probably going to win the East and if they win the east they have a shot to win the SEC and therefore make the 4 team playoff. So i guess you have to throw them into consideration.

The last time I heard a story about Sisyphus, it was from the doctor warning me about the dangers of partying too hard in Tijuana.

The last time I heard a story about Sisyphus, it was from the doctor warning me about the dangers of partying too hard in Tijuana.

I was gonna go there but I can't use yellow fonts with my phone.

The under the radar is a little over used IMO. After the A&M game last year I really don't think anybody was going to let us sneak up on them.

The under the radar is a little over used IMO. After the A&M game last year I really don't think anybody was going to let us sneak up on them.

No they weren't - and that's when we really started rolling!

He is right we have the potential. Talented experienced players on both sides of the ball and a great coaching staff so the opportunity is there. We also have an extremely tough schedule. Football is a game of confidence and momentum. Last year we got better from week to week and we peaked at the right time. The schedule helped as we had a little time to develop and get the momentum going.

This year we need to be playing better at beginning of the year as we won't have the luxury of being able to grow from week to week as we start off tougher to begin with. That doesn't mean we can't and won't get better from week to week it means we need to start at a higher level from the start. We have the talent, the coaches, and the fans now we just need a little luck here and there and we can do it. In football luck is something you create yourself by working and playing hard but sometimes that oblong ball bounces the wrong way.

I think this team can be great but I am just a bit leary of the schedule as it is hard to be as good as we will need to be every week to have a chance to make it to the playoffs. Our schedule doesn't leave much room for a letdown week.

Nice:)

He is right we have the potential. Talented experienced players on both sides of the ball and a great coaching staff so the opportunity is there. We also have an extremely tough schedule. Football is a game of confidence and momentum. Last year we got better from week to week and we peaked at the right time. The schedule helped as we had a little time to develop and get the momentum going.

This year we need to be playing better at beginning of the year as we won't have the luxury of being able to grow from week to week as we start off tougher to begin with. That doesn't mean we can't and won't get better from week to week it means we need to start at a higher level from the start. We have the talent, the coaches, and the fans now we just need a little luck here and there and we can do it. In football luck is something you create yourself by working and playing hard but sometimes that oblong ball bounces the wrong way.

I think this team can be great but I am just a bit leary of the schedule as it is hard to be as good as we will need to be every week to have a chance to make it to the playoffs. Our schedule doesn't leave much room for a letdown week.

I agree with all of this, Tex.

Good read for those that don't live it everyday like we do. We already know this.

Actually I think Auburn's most vociferous enemies know it as well but they're terrified to admit it. I hear bamzos whistling past their grave every time they open their mouths.

I agree as well but do remember; last year's schedule was very tough also. Road trips to LSU and A&Mm as well as an opener for a bunch of inexperienced kids with a new coach against a team who had them in their sights since spring.

I don't think there's any doubt that Auburn will be better this Sept than last Sept. If they can be better this Nov than they were last Nov, then they'll be a great team.

I agree as well but do remember; last year's schedule was very tough also. Road trips to LSU and A&Mm as well as an opener for a bunch of inexperienced kids with a new coach against a team who had them in their sights since spring.

I don't think there's any doubt that Auburn will be better this Sept than last Sept. If they can be better this Nov than they were last Nov, then they'll be a great team.

Yep, agree with you, too, CJ.

JMO but there is no doubt we should be nearly as good this Sept as we were in Nov last year. With Nick back (and many SEC schools looking for new QBs) we should start the season ahead of most other SEC teams. But by the time we get to Nov, UGA and Bama will probably have settled their QB situations and have their teams playing at a high level too.

AU's challenge is to grow throughout the season..... be better in Nov than we are in Sept.

The perception of Auburn as a lucky team is essentially based off of two plays. The Georgia play, admittedly, was a lucky bounce. If the ball had been played correctly by Georgia defenders, the game would have been over. Ironically, I would have gone down as one of the greatest comebacks in SEC history.

The Kick Six was not luck. It was a combination of a poor decision by Saban, great execution by Auburn, and lack of effort and execution by bama.

The fact of the matter is, Auburn was tied for 61st in TO margin at 0. Lucky teams don't finish 61st in TO margin.

The perception of Auburn as a lucky team is essentially based off of two plays. The Georgia play, admittedly, was a lucky bounce. If the ball had been played correctly by Georgia defenders, the game would have been over. Ironically, I would have gone down as one of the greatest comebacks in SEC history.

The Kick Six was not luck. It was a combination of a poor decision by Saban, great execution by Auburn, and lack of effort and execution by bama.

The fact of the matter is, Auburn was tied for 61st in TO margin at 0. Lucky teams don't finish 61st in TO margin.

Agreed, euless.

FWIW, ESPN has Auburn, Bama, FSU, and Oregon projected in the playoff (link). More respect from them than we're used to getting, but it ends there. They have Bama and FSU as the final two.

Actually the so called "luck" in the GA game just corrected a wrong from earlier in the game. Murray did not legally cross the goal line. In a view of his left knee, he was down well before reaching across the goal line with the ball.

Even before then we didn't sneak up on anyone. Wash St had Auburn in their sights since spring. Miss St always hinge their season on Auburn. Ole Miss always looks to Auburn as an SEC team they can hopefully beat. It was the A&M game that gave notice to bama and GA, with plenty of time to prepare.

But you are right that, after the A&M game anyone overlooking Auburn was a blooming fool. Yet bammers claim that's exactly what they did...overlook a team with a 10-1 record ranked #4 in the country.

Archived