2014 US Open -- Pinehurst #2

AUbritt

Same here but #2 course the greens are crowned. Never enjoyed playing there..................you better putt extremely well cause it will be tough getting the ball close to the pins

Same here but #2 course the greens are crowned. Never enjoyed playing there..................you better putt extremely well cause it will be tough getting the ball close to the pins

Haven't played there, but would love to. What I like are the options available to players, including not necessarily shooting for the greens on the fly. Will love seeing how some of the guys play short to run up next to the pin, as well as the choices around the greens. Can't wait!

Don't want to spoil anything for those watching later today; but some really good golf being played so far. Grinding.

Pinehurst #2 has been dressed up in cow pasture mode for this tournament. They quit watering most of each fairway some time back, removed the traditional high rough and let the fairways just taper off into the natural area....which in that part of NC is sand and low brush. Making for some interesting shots already.

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/console/console.html?ts=1402575249829&video=Marquee Group&syn=USGA&db=false&ref=www.usopen.com/en_US/video/liveVideo.html&alt=

Watch on the site above.....

As the day goes by the fairway grass will change from deep green to, by the end of the day, light grey. This brings into play the sand underneath the fairway grass more as the day goes by. Sand will slow down the clud speed which effect the distance of the shot. USGA has really tinkered with this course. Will play on the player mind big time.

As the day goes by the fairway grass will change from deep green to, by the end of the day, light grey. This brings into play the sand underneath the fairway grass more as the day goes by. Sand will slow down the clud speed which effect the distance of the shot. USGA has really tinkered with this course. Will play on the player mind big time.

Good. I want to see who can score. Have been impressed with Spieth's resilience so far. Looking to see if he can hang all 4 days!

Pulling for Lefty a bit.

Not a Lefty fan but it would be special since he lost to Payne on Father's Day. The day after he/wife had a child.

Yeah -- he's grown on me over the years, and it would be fitting. Duf all the way, though!

Not a Lefty fan but it would be special since he lost to Payne on Father's Day. The day after he/wife had a child.

Yeah -- he's grown on me over the years, and it would be fitting. Duf all the way, though!

Duf looked even more laconic that usual today...but hit some great iron shots. Putter let him down though. As for the course....fun to see other people play it...as for me, I prefer grass under my ball when I hit it.

Duf looked even more laconic that usual today...but hit some great iron shots. Putter let him down though. As for the course....fun to see other people play it...as for me, I prefer grass under my ball when I hit it.

Not I, necessarily. Love to see the pros having to use their imaginations. Surprised Bubba not doing better.

Duf biggest weakness is his putter. I have no ideal why he use the one he does. He tapes it up for thickness but he has small hands does not make sense to me.

Not I, necessarily. Love to see the pros having to use their imaginations. Surprised Bubba not doing better.

Bubba was out of sorts today. What happens at times when your a free swinger. You can not overpower this course got to play one shot at a time and deal with what your shot has given you.

Bubba was out of sorts today. What happens at times when your a free swinger. You can not overpower this course got to play one shot at a time and deal with what your shot has given you.

Yep -- makes sense, hard to do. I love golf!

Duf biggest weakness is his putter. I have no ideal why he use the one he does. He tapes it up for thickness but he has small hands does not make sense to me.

Though I also hate when the commentators light into him about his putting. I agree, he needs to work on it, but come on! Iron shots are generally amazing. Favorite comment about Duf: 'He just doesn't care.' Wish he'd just putt that way.

Kaymer killed it on day 1. Will be tough to beat.

USGA can crank up the course difficulty with pin placements......I still expect the winner to be over par. Meanwhile, pros are handling the natural areas well enough.

But, I do wonder how the typical amateur (paying $450 for a round) will deal with wall to wall sand and wire grass once the big tournaments are gone and the club is back to depending on rich golfers with 20+ handicaps. Maybe cache' will be enough for a while.

Golf, have you ever played this course? If so, what was your take on it?

Back in the early 80's greens have always been crowned. But the rest of the course has been changed so much since then. Much longer, added more sand traps around the greens and greens were smaller back then.

I played it at 7,200 yards/par 72, the pro are playing it at 7,500 yards/par 70.

I love Donald Ross courses. It is very picturesque.

My god Kaymer is lights out..............4 under thru 12 on todays round 9 under total.............. This is not suppose to happen at a US Open

Archived