USA vs Portugal - World Cup - Sunday June 22 , 5:30 PM EST

IndianTiger

Get ready for another World Cup entertainer...

Going to have to contain the World Footballer of the Year , Christiano Ronaldo. He can single handedly knock off a team, given room to operate. So our defense will have their hands full.

Its played in Manaus, which is in Amazon forest region of Brasil, that could be a factor with humidity etc.

Let's see who steps up this time around for the US. Can't wait..

It's safe to assume we advance if we don't lose this one.

Two of Portugal's starting defenders are out of the game. Coach Klinsmann will have to draw up something to slow down Ronaldo and counter attack.

Its a must win for Portugal, that should open up some chances for US to attack. A tie should be enough, but I am hoping we improve our game for this. Hold the ball better, control the game and win. Michael Bradley needs to take control..

That's not true.

I believe that if we tie Portugal then goal differential could still keep us from advancing depending on how they do against Ghana.

That's not true.

I believe that if we tie Portugal then goal differential could still keep us from advancing depending on how they do against Ghana.

I didn't say it was guaranteed, but it's a good bet. Portugal currently has a -4 goal differential. And I feel Ghana will be run over by the Germans.

That's not true.

I didn't say it was guaranteed, but it's a good bet. Portugal currently has a -4 goal differential. And I feel Ghana will be run over by the Germans.

Yeah Portugal is at -4 AND we're at +1. So if we tie Portugal (at any score) then Portugal would have to defeat Ghana by 5.

That's not true.

Yeah Portugal is at -4 AND we're at +1. So if we tie Portugal (at any score) then Portugal would have to defeat Ghana by 5.

You're forgetting that we still have to play Germany.

That's not true.

As long as we don't get run over by the Germans and Portugal doesn't run over Ghana, we should be fine assuming we don't lose on Sunday.

That said, it sure would be nice to go ahead and beat them like back in '02. We're pretty much guaranteed to advance if we win.

Ronaldo left practice today with an injury to his knee. He is doubtful for Sunday. Please be out.

I know we could advance to the next round with a tie; but I really want a win. I hope Mexico's play against Brazil has shown us that the USA can expect to play with any team in the cup (Klinsmann's poor-mouthing notwithstanding). So, I'm pulling for a win against Portugal and at least a tie against Germany.

That's not true.

Well, we most likely will be playing Germany when Germany has the division already in hand. Teams have also been known to help along group foes they would rather see advance, part of why a few cups ago they went to the final games being played simultaneously with the stadium having no access to the scores (though prob tough now given technology). I don't see Germany pouring it on the US and helping Portugal out.

I know we could advance to the next round with a tie; but I really want a win. I hope Mexico's play against Brazil has shown us that the USA can expect to play with any team in the cup (Klinsmann's poor-mouthing notwithstanding). So, I'm pulling for a win against Portugal and at least a tie against Germany.

But Klinsmann is right in the the things he has said, the Germans are just very blunt. The loss of Altidore, as Ballack pointed out (and very bluntly), shows how far we still have go go. We are now looking to put in players that are playing 3rd and 4th division in their respective leagues (MLS excluded) while if this happens to other teams they are replacing them with first division players with experience in the top leagues.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how Klinsmann thinks the game and adjusts without Altidore.

A little bit of World Cup history, US met Portugal in 2002 and beat them in a huge upset. Portugal was led by then World Footballer of the Year - Luis Figo.

A little bit of World Cup history, US met Portugal in 2002 and beat them in a huge upset. Portugal was led by then World Footballer of the Year - Luis Figo.

I woke up in the wee hours of the morning to watch that game. Good times.

Seems like yesterday, when Landon scored that freaky goal. He was this young kid, future of US soccer, lived up to the hype. Now let's see if Coach Klinsmann makes the right call on formation and players. Michael Bradley had a very average game last week, am expecting him to step it up.

Ronaldo left practice today with an injury to his knee. He is doubtful for Sunday. Please be out.

Saw that he did practice today but with a brace. I expect him to play.

Seems like yesterday, when Landon scored that freaky goal. He was this young kid, future of US soccer, lived up to the hype. Now let's see if Coach Klinsmann makes the right call on formation and players. Michael Bradley had a very average game last week, am expecting him to step it up.

I think average is putting it nicely. On the plus side, nowhere to go but up!

But Klinsmann is right in the the things he has said, the Germans are just very blunt. The loss of Altidore, as Ballack pointed out (and very bluntly), shows how far we still have go go. We are now looking to put in players that are playing 3rd and 4th division in their respective leagues (MLS excluded) while if this happens to other teams they are replacing them with first division players with experience in the top leagues.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how Klinsmann thinks the game and adjusts without Altidore.

One could argue that's all the more reason for him to resist his tendency toward bluntness.

Personally, I think it gets old to hear over and over again (including from Ballack) that the US lacks 'quality' compared to the top teams. Ballack and Klinsmann are just stating facts, I guess. We don't have Ronaldo. We don't have Messi. We don't have the depth that other teams have. But in some situations, including especially sporting events, it actually improves performance to believe you can/will win. I believe that we'll beat Portugal, and I sure as hell hope the players believe it, too.

Ballack, by the way, also attributes everything good the US team does to Klinsmann's good coaching. I would LOVE to beat Germany, too.

One could argue that's all the more reason for him to resist his tendency toward bluntness.

Personally, I think it gets old to hear over and over again (including from Ballack) that the US lacks 'quality' compared to the top teams. Ballack and Klinsmann are just stating facts, I guess. We don't have Ronaldo. We don't have Messi. We don't have the depth that other teams have. But in some situations, including especially sporting events, it actually improves performance to believe you can/will win. I believe that we'll beat Portugal, and I sure as hell hope the players believe it, too.

Ballack, by the way, also attributes everything good the US team does to Klinsmann's good coaching. I would LOVE to beat Germany, too.

As soccer fans, we know what Klinsmann said was right, its a huge task and really hoping for a miracle. He could have used slightly more politically correct answer (as most coaches do) when asked if they can win the championship. If he had answered it in a vague manner, that would have put the issue to rest. He should have realized that most media and most american's don't quite get the real picture of global soccer and its not the same as Women's World Cup which the US has won. (the comparison is not even remotely close).

The sports media wouldn't ask a Central Florida or Fresno State coach if they will win the BCS National Championship, because they know better. In the same token, asking a question if US would win the World Cup is in my opinion a naive question, someone who doesn't understand history of the sport. They still have the right to ask, but that shows how little knowledge exists. Since 1990, US has played 23 games in the World Cup and won 4 and tied 5 times.

Anyway, time to move on, victory over Ghana and if we win tomorrow, that should set us in great shape in terms of confidence. If we reach the quarters, I would consider that a victory and will raise our soccer profile globally.

Ghana is playing Germany tough. Costa Rica is playing lights out. Mexico earned a draw with Brazil. Maybe we should pay more attention to recent than ancient history here. At least that's what I'd be feeding the team ....

Ghana is playing Germany tough. Costa Rica is playing lights out. Mexico earned a draw with Brazil. Maybe we should pay more attention to recent than ancient history here. At least that's what I'd be feeding the team ....

You are right..those are positives. Playing as a team is also crucial (which big teams struggle sometimes with ego clashes or whatever). Playing in Brasil so far seems to help teams in the North , Central and South American region.

As soccer fans, we know what Klinsmann said was right, its a huge task and really hoping for a miracle. He could have used slightly more politically correct answer (as most coaches do) when asked if they can win the championship. If he had answered it in a vague manner, that would have put the issue to rest. He should have realized that most media and most american's don't quite get the real picture of global soccer and its not the same as Women's World Cup which the US has won. (the comparison is not even remotely close).

The sports media wouldn't ask a Central Florida or Fresno State coach if they will win the BCS National Championship, because they know better. In the same token, asking a question if US would win the World Cup is in my opinion a naive question, someone who doesn't understand history of the sport. They still have the right to ask, but that shows how little knowledge exists. Since 1990, US has played 23 games in the World Cup and won 4 and tied 5 times.

Anyway, time to move on, victory over Ghana and if we win tomorrow, that should set us in great shape in terms of confidence. If we reach the quarters, I would consider that a victory and will raise our soccer profile globally.

We also have to remember that Klinsmann will never be PC or do something just because its what people think is what should be done. Look at the way that he trained Germany when he was their coach, he brought in a training staff from the United States and did strength and conditioning training with American strategies. That ticked off his own country by breaking traditions.

Klinsmann is going to do things his way, and he is going to be going for the win.

Lol, this is the guy that while all his peers were driving around in Ferrari's and Lamborghini's he was driving a 1968 VW Beetle.

I like how you put it, I mean if we saw the press asking Vandy if they thought they could win the SEC this Fall in football we would think the press was crazy, and that the coach was even crazier if he said yes.

Nothing easy in this World Cup, what a comeback for the US team, great goals by Jones and Dempsey. Zusi with 2 assists in 2 games.

Lot of positives to take to the game against Germany. This team is growing stronger.

Archived