Double Standard Much DOD?

Weegle777

San Diego

http://www.cnn.com/2...ary-gay-parade/

DC

http://www.washingto...0499_story.html

I believe that's it. I'll do some research.

I am relatively certain both of these instances have happened within the last 6 years. I could be wrong.

Sorry i misread your question. I would say none since DADT was the policy prior to 2011.

No apologies needed. It is all good.

Bottom line: the current administrations liberal policies have allowed this and as a veteran, I can absolutely tell you most of my comrades deplore the practice.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, it's not healthy for the Baptist Church or the country to glorify war. "God's rescue squad"?

Patriotism is fine and we should honor and support our military, but this is a little over the top. We need to be far more realistic about the nature of war and the military's role in it.

They aren't glorifying war, they are honoring these brave soldiers who provide freedom for us.

Letting kids crawl around a Humvee is glorifying war. Marching in a civic parade is not.

And from a practical administration basis, I imagine the latter is budgeted, while the former is not. I think the pastor is making a mistake by making an issue of this. Who in the future qualifies for the "visit" and who doesn't? Based on what?

So if kids "crawl" around an H3, or a green jeep, is that glorifying war? You are big time reaching on that one. And this officer said that he didn't want to offend anybody, but he sure didn't care about offending those church people did he?

Yes, IMO taking military equipment to a bible school to impress the kids with how cool it is is glorifying war.

Maybe he was thinking ahead to future requests he might have to decline.

San Diego

http://www.cnn.com/2...ary-gay-parade/

DC

http://www.washingto...0499_story.html

I believe that's it. I'll do some research.

I am relatively certain both of these instances have happened within the last 6 years. I could be wrong.

Sorry i misread your question. I would say none since DADT was the policy prior to 2011.

No apologies needed. It is all good.

Bottom line: the current administrations liberal policies have allowed this and as a veteran, I can absolutely tell you most of my comrades deplore the practice.

What practice, allowing gays to serve?

Things are only get more complicated/interesting when we have a gay POTUS, as we well may have in two years.

This is just a sad time in American history. If not for slavery and Vietnam I'd say it's nearing an all time low.

So

IMO, it's not healthy for the Baptist Church or the country to glorify war. "God's rescue squad"?

Patriotism is fine and we should honor and support our military, but this is a little over the top. We need to be far more realistic about the nature of war and the military's role in it.

They aren't glorifying war, they are honoring these brave soldiers who provide freedom for us.

Letting kids crawl around a Humvee is glorifying war. Marching in a civic parade is not.

And from a practical administration basis, I imagine the latter is budgeted, while the former is not. I think the pastor is making a mistake by making an issue of this. Who in the future qualifies for the "visit" and who doesn't? Based on what?

So if kids "crawl" around an H3, or a green jeep, is that glorifying war? You are big time reaching on that one. And this officer said that he didn't want to offend anybody, but he sure didn't care about offending those church people did he?

So then you would have no problem if they went to a Mosque to celebrate Eid al Fitr rather than a Church during Bible school?

The church wasn't asking the military to "celebrate" the Christian faith, the church was honoring the heroes in our country. And if a muslim mosque wanted to have our troops their to honor them as heroes, I would have absolutely zero problem with that. What you as well as others aren't getting is the inconsistencies in this policy of the DOD.

So

So then you would have no problem if they went to a Mosque to celebrate Eid al Fitr rather than a Church during Bible school?

The church wasn't asking the military to "celebrate" the Christian faith, the church was honoring the heroes in our country. And if a muslim mosque wanted to have our troops their to honor them as heroes, I would have absolutely zero problem with that. What you as well as others aren't getting is the inconsistencies in this policy of the DOD.

What inconsistencies?

They have a policy to participate officially in civic celebrations like parade but not to participate officially in any given private function, including a church.

I don't see the equivalence here. Without equivalence, there is no inconsistency.

What part of this is so difficult for you guys to understand?

It states: “Army participation must not selectively benefit (or appear to benefit) any person, group, or corporation (whether profit or nonprofit); religion, sect, religious or sectarian group, or quasi-religious or ideological movement.”

What part of this is so difficult for you guys to understand?

It states: "Army participation must not selectively benefit (or appear to benefit) any person, group, or corporation (whether profit or nonprofit); religion, sect, religious or sectarian group, or quasi-religious or ideological movement."

OK I see your point. Maybe the issue is the distinction is between a public and a private event. I could see a problem with the military having to agree - or decline - to participate in one or the other church's program whereas such a conflict wouldn't be an issue for parades. Parades, by their nature, are open to everyone to participate as viewers.

Public or private isn't the issue. How is showing up to be honored by a group of kids at a church, considered supporting that church, and marching in a gay pride parade not supporting gay pride?

Public or private isn't the issue. How is showing up to be honored by a group of kids at a church, considered supporting that church, and marching in a gay pride parade not supporting gay pride?

Maybe you are wrong, it's possible the public or private is the issue. How do you decide which private gathering gets support and which don't, regardless of what they are representing? That's a completely different thing compared to marching in official (permitted) civic parades.

It's not different. How is showing up at a church, which is open to everyone, to be honored by a group of kids considered supporting that church, and marching in a gay rights parade, not considered supporting gay rights?

It's not different. How is showing up at a church, which is open to everyone, to be honored by a group of kids considered supporting that church, and marching in a gay rights parade, not considered supporting gay rights?

Well, let's just leave it as disagreeing that a particular church's Bible school is not equivalent to a civic event like a parade. :rolleyes:

Yes, IMO taking military equipment to a bible school to impress the kids with how cool it is is glorifying war.

Glorifying War? OK, you are welcome you are not forced to join the Nazi party or wear a Burka whenever you leave your house. Again, you are welcome, but I am shocked at how ignorant you are!

Wow that's some stone cold vitriol. I'm sure Homer is grateful for his freedom. That doesnt mean he has to think like everyone else. In fact we need dissenting voices like his and I for one welcome them.

The Pres of the U.S. whether Dem or Republican have certain "Instruments of Power" (IOP) Some examples are:

Economic IOP

Information IOP

Diplomatic IOP

Military IOP

Jimmy Carter used the Military IOP in the Tehran Hostage Rescue and it ended in disaster! (No surprise there)

Clinton used the Military IOP in Bosnia (ended fairly successfully)

Bottom line is once we have used the Information, Economic, and Diplomatic IOP, the only thing left is what? You guessed it: the military IOP, which both the Gop and Dems have and will continue to use!

The Economic, Information, and Diplomatic IOP just didn't work with the Nazis, and it didn't/won't work with Al-Qaeda or ISIS, who want the entire world living in a Muslim State! Get it? Do you want to live in a Muslim State?

Of course we live in a nation where all Military Service members, are all volunteer! So when the Pres uses the military IOP, do we want it to be the best and brightest Americans serving in the Military, or do we want it to be the Red Neck Bammers who couldn't find a job doing anything else so they decided to join the Military?

Please tell me you at least understand the above, and you understand how dangerous the Nazis were, and how dangerous ISIS, plus Al-Qaeda continue to be.

Do you actually think the Nazis, ISIS, or Al-Qaeda want to sit in a circle and sing Kumbaya, then everything will be OK; or do you support GW's and Obama's use of the military IOP to fight these inhumane savages?

Cop out answer.

We clearly disagree on this and there is no chance for me to change an emotionally/religiously-driven opinion.

So, what am I supposed to do? Keep repeating my already rejected assertion and try to outdo you with personal insults? :dunno:

Glorifying War? OK, you are welcome you are not forced to join the Nazi party or wear a Burka whenever you leave your house. Again, you are welcome, but I am shocked at how ignorant you are!

Well, how about substituting it with a field trip to a wounded soldier facility?

Let's teach them to respect the human service and sacrifice that is intrinsic to war instead of just having fun playing with the hardware.

And I am not shocked at all by your simplistic insults. I expect it of you.

Cop out answer.

We clearly disagree on this and there is no chance for me to change an emotionally/religiously-driven opinion.

So, what am I supposed to do? Keep repeating my already rejected assertion and try to outdo you with personal insults? :dunno:/>

Of course not, but you can't answer a simple question.

Cop out answer.

So, what am I supposed to do? Keep repeating my already rejected assertion and try to outdo you with personal insults? :dunno:/>

Of course not, but you can't answer a simple question.

No, I just don't agree with you on the answer. I think. What "simple question" are you referring to?

Well, how about substituting it with a field trip to a wounded soldier facility?

Let's teach them to respect the human service and sacrifice that is intrinsic to war instead of just having fun playing with the hardware.

And I am not shocked at all by your simplistic insults. I expect it of you.

Obviously you have never served, and no very little about the military or war. If you did, you would understand how insulting it is to think of any uniformed military member as....... glorifying war.

Believe me, there is nothing glorifying about war. Just ask those currently doing battle with ISIS.

Archived