Kozan out for year

Randman5000

How did he hurt his back?

Working out

Working out at home no less. These off the field injuries are pilling up.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will Alex be red-shirted?

Nah I'm sure they will play him plenty while he sits out for the year

Nah I'm sure they will play him plenty while he sits out for the year

:bow:

When Braden Smith signed I thought sure redshirt. Now with Alex down and looking at the depth chart I see Gus was not BSing when he said he'll compete for immediate PT.

I wasn't if Alex had already been red-shirted or not. You were no help in answering my question.

He was reshirted as a freshman.

Here is an article concerning a Michigan player and possible 6th year.

Link

Since he's already used his redshirt year, he'll have to apply for a medical redshirt in order to play in his senior (sixth) year.

Since he's already used his redshirt year, he'll have to apply for a medical redshirt in order to play in his senior (sixth) year.

Per NCAA rules, AU will have to produce proof that the initial redshirt year was due to injury in order to be granted a 6th year of eligibility.

I wasn't if Alex had already been red-shirted or not. You were no help in answering my question.

He was reshirted as a freshman.

Here is an article concerning a Michigan player and possible 6th year.

Link

OOPS! Stuff I didn't know: According to this most excellent link, a player can't get a sixth year unless his initial redshirt year was also due to injury. In Kozan's case he just lost a year of eligibility unless Auburn can prove he was redshirted in 2012 due to injury. If that was the case in 2012 I don't remember it.

Nothing to add... just per this (from day 1 practice thread):

If PTB is out there, what kind of weight lifting injury on kozans back are we looking at. I thought back injuries creep up on the career ending side.

So glad you asked. Kozan has had back injuries since his commitment. He has really been tough to battle through it the end of last year. He had a herniated disc in his lumbar spine. I don't know what procedure he had, (honestly I don't.) as I believe it was performed back in Colorado. So his return to football at all, is really up in the air and the timetable and rehab depends on the surgery (usually a laminectomy.) anyway, I'm sure weightlifting in general didn't help over the last two years, but that's the name of the game in football. As for end of career issues, some guys are unfortunate enough to have the disc issues earlier due to previous injuries, physical attributes and Genetics and dumb luck.

Summary: we were lucky that he performed so admirably last year given his circumstances. He took the pain until he couldn't perform any longer. We will be ok on the o line, and we saw this coming long before spring practice. Lastly, pray for Kozan's future, as his health surpasses that of football.

... .so perhaps there's a paper trail of injury (of course maybe not).

research is your friend. It's not hard to find that information. most of the questions you ask have been answered multiple times already. research.

research is your friend. It's not hard to find that information. most of the questions you ask have been answered multiple times already. research.

Lol. I have never seen him actually respond to someone's remarks to him lol. That's awesome.

fwiw, many posts on the KState fan board about Braden Smith, their local favorite son that got away, replacing Coloradan Kozan.

They're clearly encouraged by Carl's injury, calling the Kstate O line their weakest spot. Wildcats are worshipping their QB. Noted other interesting comments like they're glad the Iowa State game is before AU to get an important conference game in a tough Aimes stadium (!!) behind them. The biggest collectve board concern keeping them from an undefeated season? TCU.

fwiw, many posts on the KState fan board about Braden Smith, their local favorite son that got away, replacing Coloradan Kozan.

They're clearly encouraged by Carl's injury, calling the Kstate O line their weakest spot. Wildcats are worshipping their QB. Noted other interesting comments like they're glad the Iowa State game is before AU to get an important conference game in a tough Aimes stadium (!!) behind them. The biggest collectve board concern keeping them from an undefeated season? TCU.

They sound like Arky fans. Delusional before reality sets in.

"That's a huge dude," defensive end [/color]LaDarius Owens said. "When I first saw him on his recruiting visit, I thought it was someone's dad. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do."]
Smith gained an additional 14 pounds in the offseason and is close to eclipsing 300 pounds. The freshman could see the field in 2014 after all-SEC guard Alex Kozan underwent season-ending back surgery in July.[/color]]
Brandon Marcello

thanks for posting, great laugh!

"That's a huge dude," defensive end [/color]LaDarius Owens said. "When I first saw him on his recruiting visit, I thought it was someone's dad. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do."]
Smith gained an additional 14 pounds in the offseason and is close to eclipsing 300 pounds. The freshman could see the field in 2014 after all-SEC guard Alex Kozan underwent season-ending back surgery in July.[/color]]
Brandon Marcello

I wouldn't mind Smith getting a shot at LG or on the line period. I like Slade...esp. his experience but him being on the left side concerns me a little. Even with our QBs working out of the shotgun not sure if i like him being on their blind side. I don't recall his previous experience at LG so any insight is appreciated.

Which board, if you don't mind. I would like to do some snooping.

Cole Cubelic's article on the impact of losing Kozan.

http://www.al.com/sp..._loss_of_a.html

This analysis is worth reading. Quoting from it: "The "plug and go" mentality that many fans believe to be a reality just isn't. There are many reasons this loss could have a drastic effect on Auburn's record this fall." Apparently Cole doesn't jump in with the "we'll be fine" crowd after every bit of bad news.

This analysis is worth reading. Quoting from it: "The "plug and go" mentality that many fans believe to be a reality just isn't. There are many reasons this loss could have a drastic effect on Auburn's record this fall." Apparently Cole doesn't jump in with the "we'll be fine" crowd after every bit of bad news.

Seemed to me that he was on both sides of the issue as I read the piece...since he was getting paid to write that piece he had to appear thorough and analytical..and not be declared as a "homer" in his first week on the job. Meanwhile, there is plenty of room for the "sky is falling" folks who see every thing as a crisis if the "we will be fine" does not appeal to them.

That was a good and accurate read from Cole. Kozan was the starting LG for one reason, he was the best we had a that position. No 2 ways about it. But we had a really really good OL before so what will the drop off be? Will we only be really good now?? No way of knowing. The OL is so much about familiarity with the guys around you and working as 1 unit that it can be really tough to find a replacement. The good news is we have all of fall camp to get the line to gel. We also have plenty of talent at the OL spot so its not like its "this" guy or bust at that position. While having options at a position doesn't guarantee good play there it certainly makes me feel better. I like AUs chances of not missing beat with Kozan being out but it is certainly no guarantee.

Given his playing experience on the OL, I would think he knows what he's talking about more than most. My take-away from his article: "This is a significant loss, but not necessarily a devastating loss."

Archived