Kozan out for year

Randman5000

Cole Cubelic's article on the impact of losing Kozan.

http://www.al.com/sp..._loss_of_a.html

This analysis is worth reading. Quoting from it: "The "plug and go" mentality that many fans believe to be a reality just isn't. There are many reasons this loss could have a drastic effect on Auburn's record this fall." Apparently Cole doesn't jump in with the "we'll be fine" crowd after every bit of bad news.

Given his playing experience on the OL, I would think he knows what he's talking about more than most. My take-away from his article: "This is a significant loss, but not necessarily a devastating loss."

Good synopses! No the sky isn't falling but as Cole pointed out this injury causes multiple position shifts all along the front. Now we will be starting an o-line with only one guy playing at a position where he started last year.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cole Cubelic's article on the impact of losing Kozan.

http://www.al.com/sp..._loss_of_a.html

This analysis is worth reading. Quoting from it: "The "plug and go" mentality that many fans believe to be a reality just isn't. There are many reasons this loss could have a drastic effect on Auburn's record this fall." Apparently Cole doesn't jump in with the "we'll be fine" crowd after every bit of bad news.

Given his playing experience on the OL, I would think he knows what he's talking about more than most. My take-away from his article: "This is a significant loss, but not necessarily a devastating loss."

Good synopses! No the sky isn't falling but as Cole pointed out this injury causes multiple position shifts all along the front. Now we will be starting an o-line with only one guy playing at a position where he started last year.

I still say this oline is miles ahead of what it was in week one last year. If it progresses at the same rate we have no worries.

Anyone know why Slade and others were held out of practice today? Other interesting updates as well..

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/article_7ce57f18-1ce0-11e4-8164-001a4bcf6878.html?TNNoMobile

Auburn held its first day of full pads Tuesday, though without a couple of players expected to contribute major time on either side of the ball this season.

Tigers senior guard Chad Slade was out of pads and standing to the side during offensive line drills, right next to sophomore tackle Austin Golson, a transfer from Ole Miss who also sat out Monday's practice.

Slade is expected to fill the absence of Alex Kozan at starting left guard after Kozan underwent offseason back surgery last month. Instead, junior Devonte Danzey was practicing with the first team unit, between sophomore left tackle Shon Coleman and senior center Reese Dismukes.

Also missing time Tuesday during the nearly 30-minute open media viewing period was senior cornerback Trovon Reed, who converted to defense from receiver in the offseason. Reed was out of pads, wearing only a jersey and pants, with a soft knee brace over his right knee.

Reed was believed to be manning the second-team boundary corner behind potential starter Josh Holsey in practice, but was obviously not contributing Tuesday.

There's been no word on any actual injuries to either Slade, Golson or Reed, though Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said Monday evening that Golson's "OK. He should be back soon."

Among other things of note:

• Junior college defensive line transfer Devaroe Lawrence wasn't present during the pre-practice portion open to the media, it was the second such day he was not seen. An Auburn teammate said Monday evening that Lawrence has been participating, and a source close to him confirmed with the Opelika-Auburn News on Tuesday that Lawrence is still on campus.

• Opelika's own Stephen Roberts, a freshman defensive back, was once again fielding punts along with senior receiver Quan Bray, sophomore receiver Marcus Davis, junior receiver Gray King, senior cornerback Jonathon Mincy, and fellow freshmen defensive back Markell Boston.

• Talented freshman tailback Roc Thomas was seen manning kickoff return duty alongside senior Corey Grant, Rudy Ford and fellow freshman Stanton Truitt.

Golson cannot play this season as per NCAA transfer rules, so his sitting out is not a concern. The other apparent injuries are worrisome, at least to me.

If those guys are still missing practice on Aug 27 or 28...I will be worried ...but now? not so much.

As noted, Golson is not going to play this year anyway so was wondering why he was even in the 2-deep line-up...maybe just to give him a chance to be part of the team while the newbys were watching. But, JMO, no point in spending much time with him yet....need to get the young guys on the field.

If those guys are still missing practice on Aug 27 or 28...I will be worried ...but now? not so much.

As noted, Golson is not going to play this year anyway so was wondering why he was even in the 2-deep line-up...maybe just to give him a chance to be part of the team while the newbys were watching. But, JMO, no point in spending much time with him yet....need to get the young guys on the field.

Could also be that Golson is used to SEC practices where as the new guys aren't. So they'll put Golson in that slot rather than split up the new guys.

Archived