Undefeated and No NC?

88Tiger

Many people wait a lifetime for an undfeated season and shot at the NC and AU seems to be snakebit.

In '83 we lose early to Texas and end up getting jumped by Miami for the NC (because according to the pundits...we didn't score a touchdown in our 9-7 win over Michigan and Miami beat #1 NEB and #2 TEX lost in the Cotton).

In '93 we go undfeated and probation bit us, thank you Eric Ramsey and Corky.

Now in '04 we go undefeated only to have the great fortune of having USC getting rewarded for getting jilted last year frm the BCS NC game and OU going undefeated and starting the season ranked high. (We still seem to be paying for last year's flop when we did start high).

Somehow I just feel snakebit...and I really know this team is SPECIAL and really thought we'd get our shot somehow...but we all know there'e not a chance we even get a split like USC got last year...the best we can get is #2 and don't be surprised if we stay #3 (if we beat VT)...heck the way it's been if the Orange Bowl game is even somewhat close..they will stay #1 and #2....

Oh well such if life...but I can say this...THESE GUYS ARE CHAMPIONS...and could very well be considered on of the GREATEST OVERALL AU TEAMS OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats guys on a great season and the class with which you conducted yourself all season has made every AU fan proud and the close tight bonds you formed will take you ALL very far in life!!!!!!

Great post 88!!!

Also, I hope the team isn't overly disappointed. The system is screwed and that's no fault of the team's. They did their part and I am so very proud of the best AU team I have seen in my lifetime!!!

WAR EAGLE AND BEAT THE HOKIES!!!

Looks more like just bad luck to me...Auburn just needs to be able to compete for the NC on a more consistent basis, like OU or somebody. Until that happens, Auburn will not be respected on a national level like the other teams that compete for the NC every year.

we're the best team in the country. i don't need a blind system to tell me that. i've seen us play every game this year in person, and i've seen ou and usc play 3 or 4 times each. we had 1 quarter of defensive letdown this season. they both had teams score on them at will for multiple games. we had one down game for our offense. same can be said for ou who put up only 12 on a texas defense that isn't in the same weight class as lsu's. we deserve a shot more than either of the other teams, but yeah, it does seem like we're snakebit. it's not just bad luck, and you can't say it's b/c we don't compete for titles enough. name another team with 3 seasons in 2 decades where they can legitimately claim they got screwed out of a title (heck, name a team in the past two decades that was in the top 2 or 3 three times... not usc, maybe ou, fsu, michigan maybe... we'd be on a dang short list).

maybe it's b/c i'm a fifth year senior now, but i love these guys more than any auburn team before them. jason is repping for mississippi (my home state). caddilac's the best back in the nation. ronnie b is the most unselfish player i've ever seen. ben obomanu is one of the most soft spoken guys, great christian man. steven ross is a guy i'd call my friend, and i was so proud of him when he stepped in for jeremy. then jeremy playing hurt for the final three b/c we were out of option. there are just so many incredible stories within this team. they're hard fighting soldiers, and they are the best team to ever wear orange and blue whether the bcs or the ap want to reward that or not. war damn eagle and see you all in new orleans!

I think Auburn received a great deal of respect from voters, sports analysts and sports fans across the nation. They did in fact vote AUBURN up to #3 in the Nation. It was just our )(*)(*^%$#ing poor luck that the pre season #1 & #2 did not loose. Our Tigers are not the first team to go undefeated and not win a mythical NC, nor are we the first team to get screwed royally.

The future is bright. There are good players already on campus and recruiting this year looks to be possibly one of the best classes ever.

we are the first major conference team to go undefeated in the bcs without a shot to play for the title.

When did they start the BCS? What about Penn St in the mid to late 90's? They were undefeated weren't they? They didn't get a chance to play for the MNC because they had to play in the Rose Bowl.

Even if we are the first since they started the BCS, how does that change anything? Sure I think it sucks big time, but if AU had been pre season #1 or #2 and then went undefeated thru the season, (like USC & OK) and an undefeated team that started out #18 passed AUBURN, how would you feel then?

The BCS is about $$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!

We told them we wanted #1 against #2. They gave it to us. It sucks big time for AUBURN, but it worked the way they wanted it to. Personally I would feel much, much worse if a school from a pissant conference got in ahead of AU. That's not much of a consolation I know, but it's all I have.

Penn State did go undefeated and if you look at the first place votes for au, okla and usc you will notice each team received a 1/3rd of a vote. pappa joe split is number 1 vote between the three teams.

Archived