I don't see this ever happening but...

PChamp119

This just hit me.

If circumstances exist (like 3 undefeated teams), the 2nd and 3rd place teams play eachother for the Coaches Championship. The first place team plays their bowl game and if they win, they win the AP. If they lose, the winner of game A wins both. If there are 4 undefeated teams, then the winner of game B wins the AP.

Obviously the plus 1 system works best if the situation arises, but there is nothing wrong with split championships when 3+ BCS conferences have undefeated champions.

Here is another idea. Keep the BCS, but if there are 3 remaining unbeaten teams the #2 plays #3 two weeks after the conference championship games to see who is going to the NC game. If there are 4 unbeaten teams then #1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3 for the two spots. An unbeaten team would be considered to be #4 if it was ranked in the top 8 of the BCS (eligible for a BCS game) meaning Utah would play SC and AU would play OK for the two spots in this year's situation. There is a month between the conference championship games and it could be used to settle problems like we have this year. I don't have a problem with having a pure beauty contest if there are no unbeaten teams. But I have a real problem with excluding an unbeaten team. We don't really know how good Utah is this year. They might kick USC's asses for all I know. I am realatively certain that AU would beat OK.

i agree with pc. i've been thinking about that for a while. there's nothing wrong with a split title if you can't provide a playoff. i don't care if the thing gets split every year.

there should be a deal in place with the ap that if there are three or more teams from major conferences with equal claim on to the title (last year or this year or 1997, etc.) then the number one team should be given the easiest matchup (the fourth best team) and two and three should play. if you can't guarantee a flawless system, guarantee a fair opportunity to all the major conference teams with equal claims.

this year it would give us usc/texas or usc/utah and au/ou. last year it would've given us either the same matchups as before (if you choose to scrap the bcs which this system would make irrelevant) or lsu/michigan and ou/usc. either way i think you'd have the same result last year. and it would be FAIR. not final, but fair. i'd take that over what we have in a heartbeat.

Archived