Should people that pay no tax be allowed to vote?

AUisAll

What about a billionaire who makes millions per year, but finds enough loopholes & deductions that his net tax liability is zero, thus paying no taxes? Should he be disenfranchised as one of those "sucking on the teat"? What if he collects large sums of government money in the form of no-bid contracts, tax incentives, subsidies, etc. I bet he wants those "gifts from Santa" to continue... <_<

For what it's worth I believe everyone should pay 10% on all income-period.

I am not surprised.

I realize something that makes sense and is fair across the board is difficult for you to understand.

For what it's worth I believe everyone should pay 10% on all income-period.

I don't have any interest in getting into a "Flat Tax" debate (Especially since the thread is on voting rights, not how taxes are levied), but I have a couple of sincere, legit questions:

1) Would you apply that to corporate taxes as well? As I have said frequently, I do endorse the idea that all income be treated the same, rather than separate rules for wages, capital gains, inheritance, gov't subsidies, etc.

2) Is that figure (10%) just a ball park assumption of the rate needed to cover government expenditures, or based on some study/statistics of actual dollars needed, income demographics, actuarial tables, economic projections, etc.? Just wondering, because I've heard various figures mentioned by politicians, economists, etc. but haven't had access to a detailed explanation of the numbers. (I know Herman Cain campaigned on his 9-9-9 plan, which, if I recall correctly was 9% personal income tax, 9% corporate income tax, and 9% national sales tax. As flat tax theories go, I liked his idea of spreading it across three different areas--something I had not seen or considered before. But I was never sure exactly why he picked that 9% figure either.)

TexT....I don't have the data to prove otherwise and I doubt you do. And "almost" is a vague number. I bet it's a lot bigger than you think.

TexT....I don't have the data to prove otherwise and I doubt you do. And "almost" is a vague number. I bet it's a lot bigger than you think.

I don't have the data either, so won't make any sort of definitive statement.

But I will express my opinion that Tex is likely close to the truth simply because of the generality of his statement. Income tax is not the only form of tax. Including sales taxes, property taxes, excise taxes, taxes on special products (gasoline, alcohol, tobacco, etc.), and others, I think it's safe to say "Almost everyone pays taxes."

(The thread title is equally general in defining "tax".)

The vast majority pay sales tax. Most folks pay payroll taxes.

I can't speak for the original poster but I assumed he meant income tax.

Probably, but the colonists didn't dump tea in the harbor over income tax. Taxation without representation didn't inspire a revolution because of income tax. The elitists that talk about the 47% have framed it to their advantage, but they are out of touch with our roots as a nation.

There ya go-- substance. ;)/>

And I agree again, just stating the little fact that I assume the OP (AUisAll) meant income tax. I will let him say what he meant.

His question provides the elitists' framing-- it implies folks not paying federal income tax are free loaders who should have no say in the democratic process, even though hard working folks in Texas pay over 8% on most purchases and directly or indirectly (renters) pay some of the highest property tax in the nation.

This thread went quite a ways with folks disagreeing, but not challenging the underlying premise. That's a sign of the success they've had framing the issue in a deceptive manner.

Now you are saying what his post implies and accusing people you may not agree with of being deceptive. Why not let AUisAll say what he meant.

Now you are saying what his post implies and accusing people you may not agree with of being deceptive. Why not let AUisAll say what he meant.

It is not difficult to logically infer what his post implies.

But who is stopping him ? And btw, I suspect by buying into that premise he's been deceived.

TexT....excuse me for forgetting that you are expert at inferring whatever you want in order to support what you choose to believe.

Try a little holiday reading:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0471799416/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?qid=1409587753&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Archived