Our ISIS Strategy

Proud Tiger

Was this a rhetorical question? It's obvious he doesn't have a strategy.

Really?

It's not even possible a strategy is under development and he doesn't want to compromise that process (say, by exposing potential allies in ongoing discussions)?

Nice hypothetical scenario but based on his efforts to reduce America's foot print in the ME, Im betting he was being completely candid

Well, I for one am not all that concerned about our not quickly developing a strategy for dealing with this. Coming up with quick and definitive strategies is the sort of thing that gets us into these messes to begin with.

Local talk radio was harping on the same thing this morning. Their strategy? "Carpet bomb Northern Iraq except for the Kurdish territories." Seriously.

You are right the world is complicated and a quick reaction with no thought would be a mistake. I believe the real issue is not so much that Obama has not finished analyzing the situation and creating a coherent policy as he went public and sounded weak which allows ISIS to believe we are weak and they won't pause in their atrocious behavior. The second issue is that ISIS/ISIL has been around for a good while and their latest incursion into IRAQ has demonstrated that they are a real threat to the region. The Whitehouse has had enough time to come up with a comprehensive strategy.

Obama had the opportunity to say something like we have been working on a resolution to the issue but we can't really discuss it at this time as we would rather not allow ISIS to prepare for our actions.

Really?

It's not even possible a strategy is under development and he doesn't want to compromise that process (say, by exposing potential allies in ongoing discussions)?

Nice hypothetical scenario but based on his efforts to reduce America's foot print in the ME, Im betting he was being completely candid

Japan said it was "obvious" he didn't have a strategy. Regardless of what you think about Obama, my "hypothetical scenario" is at least as logical plausible as his certainty. No?

Well, I for one am not all that concerned about our not quickly developing a strategy for dealing with this. Coming up with quick and definitive strategies is the sort of thing that gets us into these messes to begin with.

Local talk radio was harping on the same thing this morning. Their strategy? "Carpet bomb Northern Iraq except for the Kurdish territories." Seriously.

You are right the world is complicated and a quick reaction with no thought would be a mistake. I believe the real issue is not so much that Obama has not finished analyzing the situation and creating a coherent policy as he went public and sounded weak which allows ISIS to believe we are weak and they won't pause in their atrocious behavior. The second issue is that ISIS/ISIL has been around for a good while and their latest incursion into IRAQ has demonstrated that they are a real threat to the region. The Whitehouse has had enough time to come up with a comprehensive strategy.

Obama had the opportunity to say something like we have been working on a resolution to the issue but we can't really discuss it at this time as we would rather not allow ISIS to prepare for our actions.

Possibly. But I would have to hear more than what PT posted.

Just curious, but do you know where this quote came from or it's context?

Im not that worried about a strategy either but I do get tired of our Commander in Chief signaling to the enemy our unpreparedness. Additionally, ISIS is not going away and will have ot be dealt with at some point guaranteed. There are a lot of things he could have said that would not have come across so badly. That's just my opinion.

So, you aren't "worried about strategy", you are worried about perception? What would you propose as a better course of action?

No I simply do not like sending signals to the enemy and BHO is an expert in telling them them too much and exactly what we're not going to do. Apparently, you're absolutely hellbent on arguing this and I see no way for you to win but carry on. You've become an expert at spinning my posts to support your righteous indignation and it is getting funnier and funnier to watch

Well Blue, thanks for nothing. It was a long circuitous route but, we finally got to our destination. You have nothing but rhetoric. Your "deep thinking" is limited to:

barry sux

libtards is dum

we need us a strong conservative in that there White House (I know you don't remember but, the last one damn near destroyed the country)

I was hoping you had more for us today. I didn't expect it, of course. I was just foolishly optimistic on a Friday. Again, thank you for nothing.

Really?

Japan said it was "obvious" he didn't have a strategy. Regardless of what you think about Obama, my hypothetical scenario" is at least as plausible as his certainty.

No?

Well, other than him saying there was no strategy in place, I dont see what the plausibility of your argument has to do with anything.

Im not that worried about a strategy either but I do get tired of our Commander in Chief signaling to the enemy our unpreparedness. Additionally, ISIS is not going away and will have ot be dealt with at some point guaranteed. There are a lot of things he could have said that would not have come across so badly. That's just my opinion.

So, you aren't "worried about strategy", you are worried about perception? What would you propose as a better course of action?

No I simply do not like sending signals to the enemy and BHO is an expert in telling them them too much and exactly what we're not going to do. Apparently, you're absolutely hellbent on arguing this and I see no way for you to win but carry on. You've become an expert at spinning my posts to support your righteous indignation and it is getting funnier and funnier to watch

Well Blue, thanks for nothing. It was a long circuitous route but, we finally got to our destination. You have nothing but rhetoric. Your "deep thinking" is limited to:

barry sux

libtards is dum

we need us a strong conservative in that there White House (I know you don't remember but, the last one damn near destroyed the country)

I was hoping you had more for us today. I didn't expect it, of course. I was just foolishly optimistic on a Friday. Again, thank you for nothing.

You're a sad little person and you prove it everyday and seem to believe you're onto something far superior than others in this forum. And, if you dont mind me asking..what exactly do you have for us other than your predictable "rhetoric whine" and you thank me for nothing?...good stuff.

Really?

Japan said it was "obvious" he didn't have a strategy. Regardless of what you think about Obama, my hypothetical scenario" is at least as plausible as his certainty.

No?

Well, other than him saying there was no strategy in place, I dont see what the plausibility of your argument has to do with anything.

:dunno: You'll have to explain that. I don't know what to make of it.

barry sux

libtards is dum

You're a sad little person and you prove it everyday and seem to believe you're onto something far superior than others in this forum. Back to the rhetoric whine and you thank me for nothing...good stuff.

:Sing: Another Blue, instant classic! :Sing: I love it when you go to your typical fallback position. Now, make my day and post something in your hipster language. Hit me with your patented, "aight dude". Love that one! :Sing:

You are too funny. In a pathetic and sad sort of way. :Sing:

barry sux

libtards is dum

You're a sad little person and you prove it everyday and seem to believe you're onto something far superior than others in this forum. And, if you dont mind me asking..what exactly do you have for us other than your predictable "rhetoric whine" and you thank me for nothing?...good stuff.

You do understand there is a trail of posts that got us to this point in the thread, don't you? :rolleyes:

barry sux

libtards is dum

You're a sad little person and you prove it everyday and seem to believe you're onto something far superior than others in this forum. Back to the rhetoric whine and you thank me for nothing...good stuff.

:Sing: Another Blue, instant classic! :Sing: I love it when you go to your typical fallback position. Now, make my day and post something in your hipster language. Hit me with your patented, "aight dude". Love that one! :Sing:

You are too funny. In a pathetic and sad sort of way. :Sing:

Evidently, this is what desperation looks like. Its completely predictable and not in the least bit surprising.

barry sux

libtards is dum

You do understand there is a trail of posts that got us to this point in the thread, don't you? :rolleyes:

Really? YASM?

Its just too bad that ISIS are not Republicans. I seriously doubt BHO would stand up in front of the world and tell them he had no strategy for dealing with his political opposition. He probably would have favored nuking them by now.

if he would just be honest and call them what they are, i wouldn't criticize his message but, he even refuses to acknowledge that ISIS is an Islamic extremist movement. He even stated that ISIS does not seem to be an ideological movement but rather a movement driven by nihilism.

Britisn PM, David Cameron, was much more candid and forthright and could teach BHO a few things about putting the truth ahead of how he wants to be viewed. Obama is so invested in being the guy who ended the Iraq war AND terrorism he wont admit that islamic extremism is more virulent NOW than it has been in the last decade. Hell, this admin wont even admit that Nidal Hassan(sp), the Fort Hood killer, committed a terrorist act preferring to call it work place violence. He has even made an appeal to become a citizen of the caliphate.

Cameron also did not intone the "default whine" of the progressive left emphatically stating that this WAS NOT caused by the Iraq invasion adding, this extremist ideology has existed for over a 1000 years. The difference now is they have a state, they are VERY well funded, their ranks are growing and they fully intend to expand their terrorist efforts to Europe and the USA. By contrast, Obama sounded confused, unconvincing and weak kneed, dancing around the truth but never quite getting to it. What a surprise! :-\

Its just too bad that ISIS are not Republicans. I seriously doubt BHO would stand up in front of the world and tell them he had no strategy for dealing with his political opposition. He probably would have favored nuking them by now.

if he would just be honest and call them what they are, i wouldn't criticize his message but, he even refuses to acknowledge that ISIS is an Islamic extremist movement. He even stated that ISIS does not seem to be an ideological movement but rather a movement driven by nihilism.

Britisn PM, David Cameron, was much more candid and forthright and could teach BHO a few things about putting the truth ahead of how he wants to be viewed. Obama is so invested in being the guy who ended the Iraq war AND terrorism he wont admit that islamic extremism is more virulent NOW than it has been in the last decade. Hell, this admin wont even admit that Nidal Hassan(sp), the Fort Hood killer, committed a terrorist act preferring to call it work place violence. He has even made an appeal to become a citizen of the caliphate.

Cameron also did not intone the "default whine" of the progressive left emphatically stating that this WAS NOT caused by the Iraq invasion adding, this extremist ideology has existed for over a 1000 years. The difference now is they have a state, they are VERY well funded, their ranks are growing and they fully intend to expand their terrorist efforts to Europe and the USA. By contrast, Obama sounded confused, unconvincing and weak kneed, dancing around the truth but never quite getting to it. What a surprise! :-\

It isn't caused by poverty and discrimination either. Many people in these groups come from affluent or at least middle class families.

The one thing you do not do is tell your enemy you don't have a plan. It's like he wants to undercut any possibility of getting rid of these people. He seems almost sympathetic to them.

Really?

Japan said it was "obvious" he didn't have a strategy. Regardless of what you think about Obama, my "hypothetical scenario" is at least as logical plausible as his certainty. No?

It is possible he has people working on a strategy...he could have gone one of a number of ways; but he didn't...he could have said he was working on a strategy; that simple; but he didn't. Because; well, he doesn't have one. It would have been easy to make a powerful speech to assure the nation and our allies that we were clear on what the threat is and resolute. He didn't have to be specific; like "I don't have a strategy". He didn't have to tell our enemy exactly what we were not going to do. He could have been general; but forceful. 1) we have plans 2) we are working with our allies in the region so that these plans are supported by the broadest coalition of Arab, Muslim, Christian and Jewish states 3) and he could have even invoked UBL and maybe personalized it; how about something like this: "I'm not going to tell Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi where or when his day of reckoning will come; but rest assured; just like with UBL, it will come".

Nothing specific there, it buys you time... shows you understand the threat, shows you are making sure you have broad support (somber, thoughtful, not rash...all good) and that you are going to act...you start making Baghdadi look over his shoulder. Oh yes...I guarantee you his personal guard will increase immediately...the chatter around him will increase and he will start to spend time on protecting himself vs murdering innocent people.

But, he said "I don't have a strategy". Hey, this may be the first time the guys been honest in his life. Maybe he's turning over a new leaf...We should probably applaud him.

Archived