Jameis now suspended for entire Clemson game

AUbritt

So I'm sure someone else has posted this...but if Clemson pulls the upset and FSU goes on to win the rest of their games, I've gotta think the playoff committee is going to basically ignore the loss since Winston didn't play. In a way, this is giving FSU a pass tomorrow because a loss would have an asterisk by it in most people's minds--despite this being one of only a handful of potentially competitive games for FSU this year.

I have heard that they will be taking missing players into account but surely that should be limited to things like injuries and not suspensions for bad behavior. Would be pretty perverse if they gave FSU a pass for this and I have a hard time believing that most of the people on the committee would do so. How long before we start missing the BCS?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The general mood of the country is changing about holding star athletes more accountable for their off the field behavior. The most recently NFL player problems and how they have been handled is causing the press to focus on the colleges. There are also comments that the player conduct problems started in HS and college and was not corrected there. The NFL just gives them lots of cash to get into more trouble with.

Yep....and the media is driving this with incessant drum beating over the incidents. Once it got started, there was no way that Jimbo could fail to up the penalty since there had not been time to apply some "internal discipline" before the game...and of course, JW is not a rookie at doing stupid things in Tallahassee.

Can't wait 'til basketball season starts and see how the NBA handles all the misbehavior by its players who are notorious for their antics...fighting with fans and each other of course.

PS: coming soon....criminal charges for really bad hits on the playing fields

From everything that's being said, I have to believe this added suspension of the entire game has to do with Winston lying about the whole ordeal to the university higher ups. Initially I thought it was FSU caving to social media and media pressure, but it looks like that's not the case here. Interestingly enough, it may be even bigger than just this game:

Chris Nee (FSU 247 mod) posted this:

"Word is that Winston wasn't completely honest in how he explained things to administration. Administration has learned more about what occurred (the continuing investigation part of the release). They aren't happy about any of it. Some feel they have stuck their necks out a lot for someone who isn't shooting them straight.

Not sure what the endgame is for the whole situation beyond the one-game suspension. It may be as simple as that, may not be. I don't think the case is closed and over with at this point."

Some are supposing that there's been more that's been uncovered in the ongoing investigation of his rape case that has signed is playing days death warrant at FSU. I'm not willing to go that far yet, but not ruling it out either.

From everything that's being said, I have to believe this added suspension of the entire game has to do with Winston lying about the whole ordeal to the university higher ups. Initially I thought it was FSU caving to social media and media pressure, but it looks like that's not the case here. Interestingly enough, it may be even bigger than just this game:

"Word is that Winston wasn't completely honest in how he explained things to administration. Administration has learned more about what occurred (the continuing investigation part of the release). They aren't happy about any of it. Some feel they have stuck their necks out a lot for someone who isn't shooting them straight.

Not sure what the endgame is for the whole situation beyond the one-game suspension. It may be as simple as that, may not be. I don't think the case is closed and over with at this point."

Some are supposing that there's been more that's been uncovered in the ongoing investigation of his rape case that has signed is playing days death warrant at FSU. I'm not willing to go that far yet, but not ruling it out either.

The comment about "stuck their necks out" is an understatement about what FSU has done to allow JW to continue to play. They have risked their program and the school's federal funding on a player with habitual behavior problems.

You can't trust this guy for what he tells you about the past or what he'll do in the future.

Espn college game day is right now talking about how messed up a person JW is to a national audience in front of their stadium and fans. The timing of the latest JW incident is about as bad as it can get during the regular season.

It could possibly be the whole season.

Makes me oh so happy. It gets annoying living this close to Hueytown and that is all some people talk about is Jaboo.

Karma is finding him. If he raped that girl, I hope the Title IX investigation gets him booted soon, and then she wins a civil suit and garnishes/takes most of his NFL wages.

So I'm sure someone else has posted this...but if Clemson pulls the upset and FSU goes on to win the rest of their games, I've gotta think the playoff committee is going to basically ignore the loss since Winston didn't play. In a way, this is giving FSU a pass tomorrow because a loss would have an asterisk by it in most people's minds--despite this being one of only a handful of potentially competitive games for FSU this year.

Very possible if Jameis returns after this game and they win out. If Jameis doesn't return, I think they forget about it and treat FSU like any other team.

Very possible if Jameis returns after this game and they win out. If Jameis doesn't return, I think they forget about it and treat FSU like any other team.

Oh he'll be back. They aren't going to suspend him for the entire season. FSU has been kind of sputtering this year. They might just come out fired up to show everyone they are more than just a one man team. Nobody knows for sure but it wouldn't be the first time.

JMO but some of the folks slamming JW and how FSU handled things, would be trying to find ways to excuse the behavior if it happened to a player at their school. Way too many people living in glass houses are throwing stones in this case.

It's an FSU problem....let them handle it...and when we have something at AU of a similar nature I would expect the bammers and choppers to let AU handle it. .....it won't happen that way of course....but the outright hypocrisy from all sides over JW is really disgusting.

JMO but some of the folks slamming JW and how FSU handled things, would be trying to find ways to excuse the behavior if it happened to a player at their school. Way too many people living in glass houses are throwing stones in this case.

It's an FSU problem....let them handle it...and when we have something at AU of a similar nature I would expect the bammers and choppers to let AU handle it. .....it won't happen that way of course....but the outright hypocrisy from all sides over JW is really disgusting.

Disagree sir. If it was just one incident, I'd say no big deal. This is a pattern with him. Considering the history at FSU of letting things slide. They aren't known as the criminoles for no reason and Spurrier didn't call them Free Shoes University for no reason. The botched handling of the incident with that young woman and the title IX investigation into it gives ample reason to question how things are being handled.

The comment about "stuck their necks out" is an understatement about what FSU has done to allow JW to continue to play. They have risked their program and the school's federal funding on a player with habitual behavior problems.

You can't trust this guy for what he tells you about the past or what he'll do in the future.

He lied claiming he was sitting, instead of standing when he screamed the comments?....... So they up the suspension based on that lie? ....What a joke FSU has made of themselves.

very weird. when i first heard of this , tuesday i think, he was standing on a table. if he told them he was sitting they knew for a long time he was lying. I think it is media, publicity, parallel with the NFL circus that made the suspension longer.

fsu has always had a win at all cost mentality surrounding their football program. Somehow they managed to escape the ncaa hammer multiple times when that fraud bobby bowden was coaching there. There were several things that happened after they joined the Atlantic childrens conference that should have landed them on probation, but bowden spewed out his dadgums and they got away with all of it.

Their win at all costs mentality hasn't gone away at felony state. Winston is an arrogant, selfish prick with a sense of entitlement. He believes he's above the law. He's a cancer to the game (just like Manziel was) of college football and the sooner he's gone the better off the game will be. All winston wants is attention. I don't believe he cares for one second that its negative attention. He's so selfish he's likely watching game day and says: "See they are talking about ME again". All the talk and breakdown of this is just giving him more of what he wants. ATTENTION. Announce the suspension and move on to something important to cover and quit giving this cancer more coverage.

Disagree sir. If it was just one incident, I'd say no big deal. This is a pattern with him. Considering the history at FSU of letting things slide. They aren't known as the criminoles for no reason and Spurrier didn't call them Free Shoes University for no reason. The botched handling of the incident with that young woman and the title IX investigation into it gives ample reason to question how things are being handled.

I understand all of that but why do so many Auburn people feel the need to beat the drum over the punishment, etc? That's all I'm saying. Matthew 7:3

If he had came to Auburn, was accused of rape, I wouldn't want him on the field. I pray Auburn would have handled the situation during the initial investigation differently. If not, my utter disappointment would be devastatingly heartbreaking. I hold Auburn at such high reguard, knowing they didn't do everything within their power to aid in the investigation of a crime against a woman, would change my reguard. My attitude has nothing to do with the current trend of FINALLY holding men accountable for crimes against women and children. Would I have prayed he didn't rape someone, yes, just as I did for him at FSU. After reading police reports; seeing what was supposed to be an anonymous victim bashed all over the internet; knowing she had to leave FSU because of people treating her like a rapist should be treated, I would NEVER be able to support such action. I have strong convictions I know, but I don't think it is a bad thing. I even feel like all these players who cannot realize that playing football at any higher level is a privilege, not an entitlement. Yes they work hard to get to the next level, but there are guys that do the same work as them who will only shine in high school, same in college. I do believe in mistakes of youth, as well as pattern behavior. Jameis has a pattern behavior, this isn't one thing. I believe in second chances, as long as a person can learn from that mistake and not repeat it. If you repeat, then suffer the consequences. Sorry for my lil rant, I don't like this dude. He creeps me out to the point of I can't look at him. So glad he didn't come to Auburn!

If he had came to Auburn, was accused of rape, I wouldn't want him on the field. I pray Auburn would have handled the situation during the initial investigation differently. If not, my utter disappointment would be devastatingly heartbreaking. I hold Auburn at such high reguard, knowing they didn't do everything within their power to aid in the investigation of a crime against a woman, would change my reguard. My attitude has nothing to do with the current trend of FINALLY holding men accountable for crimes against women and children. Would I have prayed he didn't rape someone, yes, just as I did for him at FSU. After reading police reports; seeing what was supposed to be an anonymous victim bashed all over the internet; knowing she had to leave FSU because of people treating her like a rapist should be treated, I would NEVER be able to support such action. I have strong convictions I know, but I don't think it is a bad thing. I even feel like all these players who cannot realize that playing football at any higher level is a privilege, not an entitlement. Yes they work hard to get to the next level, but there are guys that do the same work as them who will only shine in high school, same in college. I do believe in mistakes of youth, as well as pattern behavior. Jameis has a pattern behavior, this isn't one thing. I believe in second chances, as long as a person can learn from that mistake and not repeat it. If you repeat, then suffer the consequences. Sorry for my lil rant, I don't like this dude. He creeps me out to the point of I can't look at him. So glad he didn't come to Auburn!

I agree 100%.

Archived