Southern Miss vs. Auburn

Golden&WarEagle

Hey guys,

Word around H'burg is that the SoMiss - Auburn game for 2005 is going to be cancelled or moved back a few years. I think our less than stellar athletic dept. may be directly responsible. Just wanted to find out what some War Eagle fans have heard. I was really looking forward to coming there. I hope we can still play. Good luck against VT. War Eagle and Southern Miss to the Top.

Didn't you hear? Auburn is gonna be 12-0 next year and left out of the National Picture to Oklahoma and USC again. OU AD called the Southern Miss AD and told him they had to back out or Auburn would have a better schedule. Now they can get The Citadel again to bring down the SOS for Auburn so they can get yet another free ride.

Rumor has it the OU AD is willing to give Ga Tech $100K to back out as well.

If So. Miss does that, we certainly don't need to repeat the mistake of this year and schedule a nobody. Go after some mid-major like Toledo, Miami (OH), or Marshall. Or maybe a MWC team like Utah or even Boise State. Someone who will agree to come to Auburn but not require a return trip...or would do a two for one deal, but still has respectability. It sucks to have to scramble like this but it screwed us this year. Not that playing Bowling Green would have had any different result than the Citadel (we'd have killed BG too), but the name matters to voters.

Golden, first, welcome to the board. One of my best friends went to Southern, and he drags me to a game or two at the rock every year (I return the favor by taking him to Jordan-Hare once a year as well).

From what he's told me, the USM AD feels that Southern can now begin asking for either a home and home, or a 2-for-1. We're both unsure what the current contract with Auburn/USM calls for, but we believe it to just be a single game (or maybe 2 or 3 games played at Auburn).

Good luck in the NO Bowl.

I would love to pick up a home and home with someone like Texas. I would love to start a game with a high profile team like Texas and play them every year! It would be good to start a good rivalry like that! That way, we play a strong Texas team, play a tough SEC Schedule...and then we can schedule however we want to after that...

i'm going to wing this one since i don't really understand the search process for a thread. this same topic was discussed over a month ago and from what i remember usm had conflicts within the conference; therefore, the game as been cancelled.

i am pretty sure au's a.d. will not repeat with a cupcake. i am hoping for a oregon state vs auburn matchup so i can get folks in my office to shut up. oregon state fans in my office are convinced they can beat any team in the sec after their almost win against lsu. go figure!

I don't have any issues with us returning a trip to Hattiesburg...if that's the hangup with the '05 game coming off, then maybe our AD should consider granting that request at a future date.

Nebraska, Texas A&M, Illinois and Cal-Berkeley have all played games there in recent years...they have improved their facilities to the point where they can host big 1-A schools.

Mark Murphy of ITAT has said that USM is trying to get out of the game. USM is having scheduling problems within their conference.

I don't have any issues with us returning a trip to Hattiesburg...if that's the hangup with the '05 game coming off, then maybe our AD should consider granting that request at a future date.

Nebraska, Texas A&M, Illinois and Cal-Berkeley have all played games there in recent years...they have improved their facilities to the point where they can host big 1-A schools.

130588[/snapback]

They have improved there facilities....but they can only hold about 33,000......AU fans would fill the thing up.......

Its my understandin that the current contracts are writen so that for them to get out of the game they would have to pay us what we were goin to pay them unfortunatly the contract with blowing green was writin 5 yrs ago

Southern Miss having scheduling issues isn't a surprise, seeing how C-USA is getting revamped.

If that game goes by the wayside, then going after a MWC school or something like that isn't a bad idea at all...we played Wyoming a few years back and they'll play games on the road without requiring a return trip, or at best a 2-for-1.

Getting a mid-to lower-tier school from a BCS conference isn't a bad idea, either...Arizona, Baylor, Indiana, somebody like that.

I think the problem with scheduling any school from a big conference will be, do they have an open date? I think this might be why we had to schedule the Citadel. We might not have been able to find an opponent that had an open date.

I'd love to have Baylor or Indiana or someone from the WAC/MWC/MAC come here, but who has an open date on that weekend, or when we have our open date?

I was just throwing those teams out there as an example, but part of the problem is that most of the BCS conference teams, not to mention other 1-A schools, probably have their 2005 schedules settled already. Finding a 1-A team that not only needs another game, but has an open date that will correspond will be tough.

Let's give Troy a shot. Hey, they're a bowl team and it would sure create some interest in this state.

Didn't we get The Citadel because we needed one game with someone that wouldn't demand a home and home? They were the only ones that could accomodate on short notice.

Mark Murphy of ITAT has said that USM is trying to get out of the game.  USM is having scheduling problems within their conference.

130637[/snapback]

First of all, thanks for the input guys. I was wondering what the War Eagle nation has heard. Second of all, I think that this excuse is crap. From what I hear, the C-USA schedules aren't even out yet and even if they were, they can be changed if need be. Me thinks this may be a way to try to save a coach's job. But who knows???

Mark Murphy of ITAT has said that USM is trying to get out of the game.  USM is having scheduling problems within their conference.

130637[/snapback]

First of all, thanks for the input guys. I was wondering what the War Eagle nation has heard. Second of all, I think that this excuse is crap. From what I hear, the C-USA schedules aren't even out yet and even if they were, they can be changed if need be. Me thinks this may be a way to try to save a coach's job. But who knows???

130817[/snapback]

Is Coach Bower on the hot seat?

Archived