Southern Miss vs. Auburn

Golden&WarEagle

Mark Murphy of ITAT has said that USM is trying to get out of the game.  USM is having scheduling problems within their conference.

130637[/snapback]

First of all, thanks for the input guys. I was wondering what the War Eagle nation has heard. Second of all, I think that this excuse is crap. From what I hear, the C-USA schedules aren't even out yet and even if they were, they can be changed if need be. Me thinks this may be a way to try to save a coach's job. But who knows???

130817[/snapback]

Is Coach Bower on the hot seat?

130827[/snapback]

There is just a lot of people around here that think that he has peaked in this program. I am still undecided. From what I hear, they say that he has taken us a long way but this is as far as he can take us. I think they have been seeing a lot of uninspired football lately. It seems that once we lose a game, we think that life is over despite that the loss is usually to a Bammer team that pays the refs almost as much as they pay their players. A big win over Cal would have shut a few up but not everyone. They seem to think that we are headed for a conference with the teams that are barely 1A. I personally think it is a bunch of chicken littles saying the sky is falling but who knows.

I am a student at Southern right now and I can help answer a few questions.

1. From what I hear USM wanted AU to consider a 2 for 1. I know that at the moment the stadium only holds about 33k but they will be expanding it after next season to somewhere in the neighborhood of 55k. I believe that most of the money to do this is already in the bank. The plan is to have the construction completed for the 2006 season. I think it would be awesome to play 2 for 1 with USM. They would add some respectability to our OOC schedule.

2. A friend of mine's father is on the USM BOT. He claims that the president at USM feels that they have a better chance of making a BCS game if they don't play anyone tough. Which is in direct contrast to their "Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime" pr campaign of the last few years, but it makes sense. If Utah can make a BCS game only playing 1 decent team a year, why cant USM?

3. Alot of people like Jeff Bower. Alot of people hate him. I think he is an average coach who has consistently had a great DC and can do a pretty good job of scouting the available talent. I also think he is replacable.

4. Off Topic, but people are excited at USM with the Eustachy era. Kinda reminds of the situation we have at AU.

Archived