Scarbinsky: AU better than last year

RunInRed

That's a very good question AuburnGrad. I was surprised last week when we deferred to the 2nd half, but then I remembered the true frosh QB on the other sideline and I completely agreed with forcing him to be on the field immediately. This week would be a bit trickier. We need to start fast and quiet the crowd as early as possible.

You always defer to the second half or at least that is what is done about 99% of the time. Give your offense the ball to start the 2nd half as that is considered a crucial juncture of the game.

I was under the assumption that Gus always elected to receive first. Personally, I would rather have the ball to start the 2nd but I seem to remember Gus always electing to get the ball first.

Well I did say 99%. Gus does things a lot of other coaches don't and won't do. He is definitely in the 1% category.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Sometimes I wonder if Gus just has a bone to pick with the third quarter. Maybe the third quarter stole his lunch money or something. We have averaged 4.8 points during the third quarter this season and 12.4 in the first, second and fourth.

Adjustments are made at halftime. Gus keeps doing what was working until it isn't working. That would imply that he has to learn what will work after the adjustments.

We lost the third quarter of the national championship game last year 3-0. We lost the national championship by 3 points. If that's really the strategy, it's crap.

It should be noted that we scored 14 points in the third quarter of the Arkansas game... when we changed quarterbacks. Take away that one quarter and go with the 4 third quarters where Gus- according to your theory- just went with what was working and we scored 2.5 points per third quarter. That will get us beaten by somebody this season.

I didn't say it was a specific strategy. Gus has stated several times you keep doing something if it works. I highly doubt that the opposite of what you are suggesting, meaning to blindly guess at what the opposing defense will do and form an offensive plan different from the first half around that, would work better. It was more of a rational way to explain the decreased third quarter production, not anything close to a "strategy." We didn't lose the game because we lost the 3rd quarter 3-0, we lost the game because we lost the entire second half 24-10, and that fell on the defense and offense, as well as special teams, not Gus's flawed 3rd quarter strategy. And even if Gus's strategy was flawless, it wouldn't matter if the team didn't execute it, which we clearly didn't that game.

Fair enough re: the BCSCG, but let's look at the rest of it. You say that our opponents make adjustments at halftime, but that you "highly doubt that the opposite of what (I am) suggesting, meaning to blindly guess at what the opposing defense will do and form an offensive plan different from the first half around that, would work better." Okay, so let's look at how another team does it. Mississippi State seems a good one, since they're our opponent this week and they score almost the exact same points per game- and, consequently, points per quarter that we do. They score 10.65 points per quarter, but they score 13.8 in the third quarter.

So what gives?

Looks like the 3rd quarter whiners have highjacked another thread. How long do we beat this dead horse?

Looks like those incapable of differentiating between "whining" and simply discussing areas for improvement, or of elevating the discourse whatsoever, continue to piss all over the forum. Unfortunately, that horse will continue to get beaten as long as there are internet forums.

Looks like the 3rd quarter whiners have highjacked another thread. How long do we beat this dead horse?

Looks like those incapable of differentiating between "whining" and simply discussing areas for improvement, or of elevating the discourse whatsoever, continue to piss all over the forum. Unfortunately, that horse will continue to get beaten as long as there are internet forums.

Call it what you want - I call it whining. Your response further proves you are a childish cry-baby.You are consistently what I would refer to as a classless AU fan. The kind that acts more like a bammer than anything else. Not saying you are, just saying you have their mentality/attitude down pat.

I agree. Sometimes I wonder if Gus just has a bone to pick with the third quarter. Maybe the third quarter stole his lunch money or something. We have averaged 4.8 points during the third quarter this season and 12.4 in the first, second and fourth.

Adjustments are made at halftime. Gus keeps doing what was working until it isn't working. That would imply that he has to learn what will work after the adjustments.

We lost the third quarter of the national championship game last year 3-0. We lost the national championship by 3 points. If that's really the strategy, it's crap.

It should be noted that we scored 14 points in the third quarter of the Arkansas game... when we changed quarterbacks. Take away that one quarter and go with the 4 third quarters where Gus- according to your theory- just went with what was working and we scored 2.5 points per third quarter. That will get us beaten by somebody this season.

I didn't say it was a specific strategy. Gus has stated several times you keep doing something if it works. I highly doubt that the opposite of what you are suggesting, meaning to blindly guess at what the opposing defense will do and form an offensive plan different from the first half around that, would work better. It was more of a rational way to explain the decreased third quarter production, not anything close to a "strategy." We didn't lose the game because we lost the 3rd quarter 3-0, we lost the game because we lost the entire second half 24-10, and that fell on the defense and offense, as well as special teams, not Gus's flawed 3rd quarter strategy. And even if Gus's strategy was flawless, it wouldn't matter if the team didn't execute it, which we clearly didn't that game.

We lost that game because of special teams. PERIOD. Watch the darn game once, sober, and come up with a different answer.

We lost that game because of special teams. PERIOD. Watch the darn game once, sober, and come up with a different answer.

Amen!!!! virtually every aspect of a typically stellar special teams group let us down that night. muffed punts, missed FG, gave up the fake punt, gave up the KO return.

Truly makes me ill to think about the number of BIG mistakes we made that night.

Funny how we're finally getting respect halfway through the season...

I don't care about the respect to be honest. I didn't respect the team the way they were playing up and down. It only matters that if we are good enough and win it all that we get into the playoff so we can beat down and take home the gleaming muffler...

1405452111000-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-NATIONAL-CHAMPIONSHIP-TROPHY-UN-65838024.JPG

That trophy looks like a 1985 bathroom fixture. I think my bathroom faucet used to look very similar.

... or once held a toilet bowl brush.

Funny how we're finally getting respect halfway through the season...

I don't care about the respect to be honest. I didn't respect the team the way they were playing up and down. It only matters that if we are good enough and win it all that we get into the playoff so we can beat down and take home the gleaming muffler...

1405452111000-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-NATIONAL-CHAMPIONSHIP-TROPHY-UN-65838024.JPG

That trophy looks like a 1985 bathroom fixture. I think my bathroom faucet used to look very similar.

... or once held a toilet bowl brush.

Break the top part off remove the football attach a clear rubber hose at the bottom and it's the after game beat MSU beer funnel!!

Each time I look at the MSU sideline and see Dan Mullen, I will smile and think of how much better of a coach we have with CGM. Mullen did upgrade his OC position from last year, but still not in the league of CGM & CRL. And of course CEJ with his wreaking crew.

That has to be the ugliest trophy ever!

Looks much better like this:

gallery_33175_34_45379.jpg

Now it's an AUsome golden muffler, toilet brush holder, bathroom fixture, faucet handle, what ever you want to call it. Either way it will be ours.

Amen!!!! virtually every aspect of a typically stellar special teams group let us down that night. muffed punts, missed FG, gave up the fake punt, gave up the KO return.

Truly makes me ill to think about the number of BIG mistakes we made that night.

So special teams scored too quickly on our last drive, and gave up the long pass and the pass to the corner of the end zone for their last score? It's a team game, and all three phases contributed to the loss. You can say that if special teams had performed to their standard of the whole year, then yeah, their performance may have contributed more. Where did the defense from the first half go of the NCG go? Same could be said of their performance. How about the offense in the 3rd quarter? Where'd they go? Blaming it all on special teams is short sighted. If anything, yes, the kick return and fake punt would be the two biggest swings, but there were other opportunities to win the game that didn't come on special teams. As for your sober comment, no idea where that comes from, but it implies you think anyone with a different opinion is a drunk. That's not the best way to get a respectful response. Regardless, I can't explain the 3rd quarter production. It's been shown statistically that our D tightens up as the games go on this year. Who is to say that the other teams we've played don't have the same trends? This is all speculation and interesting discussion, but it's obvious that the subject of this thread is correct: we are better than last year, and that's all the matters. WDE!

Thanks for saying something. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person that was annoyed by that.

Call it what you want - I call it whining. Your response further proves you are a childish cry-baby.You are consistently what I would refer to as a classless AU fan. The kind that acts more like a bammer than anything else. Not saying you are, just saying you have their mentality/attitude down pat.

I second that

So special teams scored too quickly on our last drive?

Scored too quickly? Like that was somehow on the offense? Does you realize how difficult it actually is to score against tough opponents and the multitude of things that can go wrong while your offense has the ball? Tre Mason scored on a 37 yard RUN. Malzahn takes the points every single time and never bats an eye at it.

Was Tre Mason supposed to take a knee on the five and say nah, I'm good right here? In the grand scheme of things FSU had enough time for their offense to score, but to imply that it was the offense's fault for SCORING is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard in my life. Its the offense's responsibility to score, period.

Do people really think we scored too quickly? Like that was somehow on the offense? Does anyone realize how difficult it actually is to score against tough opponents and the multitude of things that can go wrong while your offense has the ball? Tre Mason scored on a 37 yard RUN. I think Malzahn takes the points every single time and never bats an eye at it.

Was Tre Mason supposed to take a knee on the five and say nah, I'm good right here? In the grand scheme of things, yes scoring with that much time on the clock could have hurt us, but to imply that it was the offense's fault for SCORING is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard in my life. Its the offense's responsibility to score period. Its the defense's job to stop the opponent, period.

Precisely. There is no guarantee that AU scores that go ahead touchdown if Tre does that. FSU had done a good job of holding AU back in the 2nd half. Fumbles and problems with the qb center exchange happen sometimes. I have seen that happen when teams were leading and trying to run out the clock. You always go in and score in that situation. The defense afterward didn't do it's job. We had multiple problems with the special teams that put us in that situation.

Now it's an AUsome golden muffler, toilet brush holder, bathroom fixture, faucet handle, what ever you want to call it. Either way it will be ours.

Looks like a big beer tap to me...

Looks like a big beer tap to me...

Stole my thunder . . . I was wondering if beer came out the bottom if you tip it forward. Maybe some Championship Pale Ale? Rematch Stout?

I second that

Interesting. I've never thought of McLoofus as either a whiner or a bammer. Do y'all not want to improve our scoring stats in the third quarter? I do. I also want us never again to get gashed up the middle like we were against LSU on first downs. Am I whining about our defensive stats? I also want us to be able to get some appreciable yards running on first down (more like last year). I admit that's expecting a lot. But I still want it.

My best guess is that the players and coaches want these things, too; and they are working to get them.

:dunno:

Guest jojo1515

I second that

Interesting. I've never thought of McLoofus as either a whiner or a bammer. Do y'all not want to improve our scoring stats in the third quarter? I do. I also want us never again to get gashed up the middle like we were against LSU on first downs. Am I whining about our defensive stats? I also want us to be able to get some appreciable yards running on first down (more like last year). I admit that's expecting a lot. But I still want it.

My best guess is that the players and coaches want these things, too; and they are working to get them.

:dunno:/>

Actually, they didn't know it was an issue til they read this forum. They may be starting to work on it now that they know about it. In all seriousness though, the D is just now improving enough to be able to use game film to help see the first down issues. On O, we all know Gus is a little stubborn on occassion and starts the second half with what works in the first half. If the wonderful adjustments he makes in the 4th quarter were moved up to early third, we'd score 60 most games. :)

So, with the general opinion that the first 5 minutes of the game is the most crucial, what do you do if you win the toss? Put Nick and the offense out there, and get an early score to quiet the crowd, or put Coach Johnson's defense out there, and flex your defensive muscle to set the tone early???

Personally, I would go with the defense. With all the hype and pressure that Miss St will be under, if the defense could get a 3-and-out, or force a a turnover, Miss St could fold like a cheap tent.

War Eagle!!! I am optimistically worried about this game, but still think we come out on top!

I don't think the question is: does AU choose to kickoff or defer.

I think the more important question is: on the coin toss, does AU call Heads, or Tails? :)

All in fun. :)

Do people really think we scored too quickly? Like that was somehow on the offense? Does anyone realize how difficult it actually is to score against tough opponents and the multitude of things that can go wrong while your offense has the ball? Tre Mason scored on a 37 yard RUN. I think Malzahn takes the points every single time and never bats an eye at it.

Was Tre Mason supposed to take a knee on the five and say nah, I'm good right here? In the grand scheme of things, yes scoring with that much time on the clock could have hurt us, but to imply that it was the offense's fault for SCORING is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard in my life. Its the offense's responsibility to score period. Its the defense's job to stop the opponent, period.

Precisely. There is no guarantee that AU scores that go ahead touchdown if Tre does that. FSU had done a good job of holding AU back in the 2nd half. Fumbles and problems with the qb center exchange happen sometimes. I have seen that happen when teams were leading and trying to run out the clock. You always go in and score in that situation. The defense afterward didn't do it's job. We had multiple problems with the special teams that put us in that situation.

Yes and even after every mistake made on offense, defense or special teams during the rest of the game, the fact is we took the lead with just over a minute to go. Nothing that happened prior to that moment mattered anymore. Both teams, everyone in the stadium and the millions watching on TV all knew one thing. The game was on the line. This was going to be the last drive and last chance for both teams.

But field position and the clock were in our favor. We had to force them to eat up the clock with short gains. The only thing that could save them would be to gain a chunk of yards quickly and get down into scoring position with enough time left. The one thing we could not allow was to let them have a long gain. But we did just that. The thing is, the play wasn't even designed for a long gain.

They were only throwing a 5 yard hitch to get the first down and playing right into our hands. That was exactly what we wanted. Keep the receiver in front of you, make the tackle or at a minimum grab hold of something and don't let go until help arrives, eat up the clock. But instead not 1, but 2 Senior defenders, blow the tackle and the receiver gains 50 yards. So with 45 seconds left, instead of being back 50 yards eating up the clock trying to get 1st downs, their playbook was now opened up for scoring plays.

Archived