Todd Gurley Suspended indefinitely - MERGED

WaynesAUworld

Say nothing of the commitment he made to UGA when he signed to follow the rules in exchange for an $100,000+ education

1) If he loses eligibility, he loses the scholarship.

2) $100k for 4 years of school, right? So $25k/yr? Let's bump it up to $30k to be safe and multiply that by 85, the scholarship limit. That's about $2.5 million total per year the school is paying for scholarships, right? In 2013, UGA's football revenue was over $50 million. That doesn't even include sales of licensed apparel (i.e., Gurley jersies).

Big athletic programs pay coaches big money to go out and beg star players to sign with them because they make boatloads of cash on their backs. Let's not pretend it's the schools doing the players a favor.

I think those numbers might be a little low. I would think that tuition, books, room, special food, clothes, tutoring, and other perks would run at least $50k per year. Which is more than most American's are making right now.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say nothing of the commitment he made to UGA when he signed to follow the rules in exchange for an $100,000+ education

2) $100k for 4 years of school, right? So $25k/yr? Let's bump it up to $30k to be safe and multiply that by 85, the scholarship limit. That's about $2.5 million total per year the school is paying for scholarships, right? In 2013, UGA's football revenue was over $50 million. That doesn't even include sales of licensed apparel (i.e., Gurley jersies).

Big athletic programs pay coaches big money to go out and beg star players to sign with them because they make boatloads of cash on their backs. Let's not pretend it's the schools doing the players a favor.

I think those numbers might be a little low. I would think that tuition, books, room, special food, clothes, tutoring, and other perks would run at least $50k per year. Which is more than most American's are making right now.

$22k in state, $40k out of state, and that factors in $2k/yr of "miscellaneous living" and "travel" expenses, so $30k/yr is good.

http://osfa.uga.edu/cost.html

By the way, there are a lot of kids who get full rides to school for lots of things other than athletic ability, but- to my knowledge- there are no restrictions on them earning a little scratch on the side.

Edit: I should know that I need look no further than the front page of this very forum to find out how much UGA spends on football per year, and it's $26.3 million.

Thats the main point here, IMO. And I think McLoofus nailed it. A student on academic scholarship is allowed to do whatever he wants, get a job, make cash however he/she wants (including autographs) and a student who is raking in the money for schools isn't allowed to. Whats up with that?

Thats the main point here, IMO. And I think McLoofus nailed it. A student on academic scholarship is allowed to do whatever he wants, get a job, make cash however he/she wants (including autographs) and a student who is raking in the money for schools isn't allowed to. Whats up with that?

Maybe those football scholarship guys should just go ahead and take the academic scholarships instead. Then they would not have to work so hard practicing and playing the game...and they could sell their pictures on line, autograph shirts...all that stuff and nobody would care. Sounds like the best plan for them. Wonder why that's not happening?

Or just let them capitalize on their own likeness and signature. I don't get what the attitude is on here by some about kids "getting enough already". It doesn't affect anyone but the kids, the schools don't even have to pay for it! And spare me the "college athletics will turn for the worse" sentiment, because I seem to remember many on the board saying the regular season would lose all of its value and how it would ruin the sport, and if anything it has made it more intriguing. We don't have to be afraid of change. I mean they aren't allowed to get jobs! What the hell?

$22k in state, $40k out of state, and that factors in $2k/yr of "miscellaneous living" and "travel" expenses, so $30k/yr is good.

http://osfa.uga.edu/cost.html

By the way, there are a lot of kids who get full rides to school for lots of things other than athletic ability, but- to my knowledge- there are no restrictions on them earning a little scratch on the side.

Edit: I should know that I need look no further than the front page of this very forum to find out how much UGA spends on football per year, and it's $26.3 million.

http://www.aufamily....l/#entry2127551

Its called a part time job. Yes I understand these athletes do not have time. However this sense of entitlement is what's wrong now. Just because a CEO of a major company is making tons of money doesn't mean he owes the workers anything other than the wages the worker agreed to work for. That's exactly what these athletes did. They agreed to play football for the scholarship. I also get that a lot of these kids don't care about the degree, only the path to the NFL. If that's the case, like someone else said, man up and quit or follow the rules. If the issue is about the school making money off the kid's likeness or performance then ask yourself what that kid's image or performance would be like if that school hadn't have given him a chance. Regardless of what side of the fence you are on concerning player payment, their scholarships are investments by the schools. Their pay check (as the rules stand now) comes after their commitment is finished.

Or just let them capitalize on their own likeness and signature. I don't get what the attitude is on here by some about kids "getting enough already". It doesn't affect anyone but the kids, the schools don't even have to pay for it! And spare me the "college athletics will turn for the worse" sentiment, because I seem to remember many on the board saying the regular season would lose all of its value and how it would ruin the sport, and if anything it has made it more intriguing. We don't have to be afraid of change. I mean they aren't allowed to get jobs! What the hell?

You do understand that boosters will exploit their likeness in recruiting. Hi, we are State University and we guarantee you will make X amount of dollars off your signature your freshmen year if you come to State University. A autograph is what ever it is worth to a individual. And are there going to be rules on this? Does it have to be authentic and truly signed by the player? Or can they just get someone to make a print of their signature on a picture. Then stand inside a stadium and have someone sell them.

How about a recruit selling his autograph right there in Bryant Denny. Attention fans "5 star so n so will be on the north concourse selling his autograph for 1 dollar, lets make him feel welcome and show him how much Alabama wants to see him in Tuscaloosa". There is $70,0000 dollars or more right there.

Use of likeness in commercials. Don't think some booster will drop major cash on them and promise recruits they will get X amount guaranteed for being in X amount of commercials.

Hey, did you know that Oregon alums will buy a autograph off you every time you make a interception?

You will basically have pay for play, salaries, and endorsements with zero salary cap in collegiate football.

Anyway if they do this, then Auburn better stop putting fee's on my tuition bill to subsidize athletics.

"You will basically have pay for play, salaries, and endorsements with zero salary cap in collegiate football."

That's it in a nutshell.

"You will basically have pay for play, salaries, and endorsements with zero salary cap in collegiate football."

That's it in a nutshell.

True...but then again, fewer top college stars will leave early for the NFL....that old joke will come true...."the kid can't afford to take the salary cut if he leaves".

Anyone think a college kid can't distinguish between 1000's of $ and 10's of millions of $ ?

" Paying " athletes, above what they already get now, is about as dumb an idea as it gets. ALLOWING THEM TO MAKE THEIR OWN $, however, ought to be taken into serious consideration.

Anyone think a college kid can't distinguish between 1000's of $ and 10's of millions of $ ?

" Paying " athletes, above what they already get now, is about as dumb an idea as it gets. ALLOWING THEM TO MAKE THEIR OWN $, however, ought to be taken into serious consideration.

This is how I feel.

Also, I don't think kids being able to make more money at certain schools over others is a new concept. Some seem to think a kid doesn't choose the Oregons over Portland States because of things like the facilities and gear/equipment. This falls in the same category as a kid being able to capitalize on his marketability differently in at different schools, IMO. It won't change much in terms of talent distribution because the elite kids are going to these schools already if you ask me.

Archived